DVDVR Message Board

AEW - OCTOBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Sting to address the fans on AEW Dynamite this week.

I've been pushing to anyone that would listen that we need Jarrett vs Danielson on Saturday in Memphis, but barring that, I'm hoping we get Christian/Luchasaurus/Wayne/Starks/Bill vs Copeland/Danielson/FTR/Sting.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Matt D said:

covered the two Danielson matches from last week (and a bit of Serpentico) here:

Excellent as always Matt - an interesting insight I had while reading: everything you wrote about Danielson's selling of the arm in the Swerve match, I was feeling last night watching the Christian match (we had a busy weekend so it was another 'Monday Nitro' edition of Collusion for us) - I felt a similar sense of relief when he started the Hulk up routine. Were you so inclined, I think within this, you have the makings of a whole 'nother piece about risk of permanent injury being the 'new kayfabe.'

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Just Dave said:

Is there a separate AEW merch thread?

I think we just still use the general merch thread to cover everything.

But speaking of merch I'm liking this one for Ricky.  Nice and clean compared to some of the other shirts they have.  Plus it's Ricky which 'nuff said.  https://www.shopaew.com/ricky-starks-ricky-s-bizarre-adventure.html

aew1768-1.png

Oh, and catching up on Swerve's podcast Ricky's working on having his own cologne.  So if you're into that then there you go.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Excellent as always Matt - an interesting insight I had while reading: everything you wrote about Danielson's selling of the arm in the Swerve match, I was feeling last night watching the Christian match (we had a busy weekend so it was another 'Monday Nitro' edition of Collusion for us) - I felt a similar sense of relief when he started the Hulk up routine. Were you so inclined, I think within this, you have the makings of a whole 'nother piece about risk of permanent injury being the 'new kayfabe.'

I think there's actually potentially another level to it. What do people watching care about? If they don't care about who wins and who loses or don't care about titles, but instead care about seeing "great matches" or being in the crowd for historic moments, about their cred in being there and being part of it, I almost wonder if someone like Kenny Omega could get actual heat/engagement by making it seem like a match was going to go off the rails and lose Meltzerian stars only to pull it back and bring it higher than before, kind of like fans clapping up a wrestler in a bearhug somehow. I don't think this is necessarily a good idea as it could damage wrestling longterm but if someone could sort of pull off this kind of Sabu-metrics, they could probably get over in a unique way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Matt D said:

I think there's actually potentially another level to it. What do people watching care about? If they don't care about who wins and who loses or don't care about titles, but instead care about seeing "great matches" or being in the crowd for historic moments, about their cred in being there and being part of it, I almost wonder if someone like Kenny Omega could get actual heat/engagement by making it seem like a match was going to go off the rails and lose Meltzerian stars only to pull it back and bring it higher than before, kind of like fans clapping up a wrestler in a bearhug somehow. I don't think this is necessarily a good idea as it could damage wrestling longterm but if someone could sort of pull off this kind of Sabu-metrics, they could probably get over in a unique way.

Danielson did almost exactly this during his heel run in ROH. He would do things like work an abdominal stretch for a long time while the crowd chanted "boring" at him, or do 10 body slams in a row to the chants of "same old shit." Early Young Bucks kind of did too with their cartwheel handsprings into a back rake and what not. The Meltzer Driver lives as a remnant of that gimmick today. Of course, both would always give the crowd a hot finishing run.

I don't think it could be pulled off unironically, though.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I think we just still use the general merch thread to cover everything.

But speaking of merch I'm liking this one for Ricky.  Nice and clean compared to some of the other shirts they have.  Plus it's Ricky which 'nuff said.  https://www.shopaew.com/ricky-starks-ricky-s-bizarre-adventure.html

aew1768-1.png

Oh, and catching up on Swerve's podcast Ricky's working on having his own cologne.  So if you're into that then there you go.

Will be ordering.

So, since my search function is being a shitheel, and since this is about more than just a merch item, I'll post it here; TK has figured out what to do with the surplus Nyla Rose and Hangman figures warming the shelves across the country. His "1 million dollar toy giveaway" is cool, because needy kids getting stuff is never bad, but it's also a way for him to write off an additional million dollars in donation rather than just liquidating them. Just made me chuckle. Also, be on the lookout for fresh AEW toy product on the shelves. I've scored several new ones in the last few weeks. The top of my want list is;

Adam Cole (need someone to job to my other figs)

Samoa Joe

Danhausen

Hook

Shawn Spears

Brody King

The Bunny

Kip Sabian

Butcher 

Blade

They should all be hitting shelves soon. Good hunting.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

The top of my want list is;

Adam Cole (need someone to job to my other figs)

Samoa Joe

Danhausen

Hook

Shawn Spears

Brody King

The Bunny

Kip Sabian

Butcher 

Blade

They should all be hitting shelves soon. Good hunting.

I just saw Danhausen, Hook, and Darby figs at my local Wal Mart yesterday. 

I’ve still only bought one AEW figure, and it was a Punk one. I also want his LJN style one, too. I wonder if they’re going to go ahead with the ROH version or not - I’d imagine no, but if they do, I want that one as well.

I collect AEW figures, it's my vice since i stopped drinking.

This past few weeks I grabbed

Walmart Exclusives - Jericho and Kingston, the LJN Punk, the LJN Darby Allin, Target exclusive Samoa Joe, a Riho that i thought I'd never find on the shelf, Danhausen, and the latest Mr. Brodie Lee in the red suit.

I'm really on the look out for Butcher, Blade and The Bunny.

Edited by StuntmanCrowley
  • Like 7

I only grab them here or there.  I've got Cassidy, street clothes Adam Page, Kingston, and Joe.  The only other ones I particularly want are a Danielson and a Brody King when it comes out.