DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 9/20 - 9/26/2023 - Let's Go To Denny's!

Dolfan in NYC

Just now, John E. Dynamite said:

If Cole really did Punk his leg, print ANKLESTRONG T-shirts and have a segment next week where Roddy meets him at the leg hospital(?). This angle is bulletproof.

starts writing scene where Roddy is mad that Adam Cole has a nicer hospital for his ankle than Roddy's hospital bed this week

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, John E. Dynamite said:

If Cole really did Punk his leg, print ANKLESTRONG T-shirts and have a segment next week where Roddy meets him at the leg hospital(?). This angle is bulletproof.

I would like it if this angle culminates with Max striding in backstage where Cole has been working craft services since he can't wrestle and carrying him to safety in his arms while the theme from An Officer and a Gentleman plays.

• Haha 5

When Fenix scurried over to Mox and gave him the hand squeeze after the first dive I knew we were in for some scary shit.

Joe hardly ever does the big sell reaction after kick outs, so him going bug eyed over not winning with the Muscle Buster was aces. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

starts writing scene where Roddy is mad that Adam Cole has a nicer hospital for his ankle than Roddy's hospital bed this week

1161c01e-b4f8-4ec4-a2ed-83d672faac55_tex

2 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Joe hardly ever does the big sell reaction after kick outs, so him going bug eyed over not winning with the Muscle Buster was aces.

I loved how earlier in the match Joe started the shocked sell, but quickly turned it into, "It's all right; it's cool." Great subversion of the trope.

• Like 4

Tbh my first thought when Fenix crawled over to do the hand squeeze was that Mox's blade had gotten stuck in Fenix's mask tassels and that he was doing a quick handoff so Moxley could juice later. In hindsight that would have been a much happier scenario. 

Also I thought it was legit very sweet that Sammy did the sign of the cross before that extremely wonky moonsault to the floor in (what I have to assume was) tribute to Tay Melo infamously crossing herself before she moonsaulted onto Britt Baker on whatever ppv that match was on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

I would like it if this angle culminates with Max striding in backstage where Cole has been working craft services since he can't wrestle and carrying him to safety in his arms while the theme from An Officer and a Gentleman plays.

If Tony can't get permission then try "Wind Beneath My Wings" by Bette Midler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A casual before-bed sweep of social media is informing me that most people are criticizing Knox for what happened but defending Fenix. This is incorrect, no? Even if Mox against everyone else's better judgment muttered "piledrive me again, boss" or whatever people want to insist on, I gotta think anyone with half a brain and any experience knows you can't pick a guy up and drop him on his head a second time when he already shoot can't continue working from the previous head drop.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

A casual before-bed sweep of social media is informing me that most people are criticizing Knox for what happened but defending Fenix. This is incorrect, no? Even if Mox against everyone else's better judgment muttered "piledrive me again, boss" or whatever people want to insist on, I gotta think anyone with half a brain and any experience knows you can't pick a guy up and drop him on his head a second time when he already shoot can't continue working from the previous head drop.

I said elsewhere that I'm just glad Owen Hart was smarter about this than Fenix was >_>

• Like 4

Great show overall, very action packed and all the matches delivered.  Awesome opener from Kingston/Claudio, delivering the long awaited epic moment. Nice Kawada vs Misawa colors and use of the Kawada powerbomb for the finish.

Another hilarious Neck Strong segment. Laughed out loud at the bed noises as Taz wonders what the hell kind of hospital he's in.

Liked Jericho/Sammy as a match, didn't love the post-match angle. Felt like a step back for Sammy's character to go away from wanting to stand on his own. Thought the WM XIX tribute attire was a nice touch but the shot for shot remake of the post-match turn was a bit much. Too bad they didn't save it for WrestleDream to do it in the same city too. 

Fenix/Moxley was wild and a real shocker. Could definitely tell right away something was off and it sucks for Moxley's big ending Orange reign to end in less than 3 weeks, but it gave a real anything can happen vibe. Hopefully Mox recovers well and Cole's isn't major.

Loved Saraya/Toni, thought most everything they did worked well and both came off great. One year since Saraya's debut, one of my all time favorite crowd pops, lots of change since then. 

Main event was pretty epic. Went in thinking no way there'd be a title change but there were some great near falls and the added drama of Adam not being there at first. The big grudge matches both adhere to the Code of Honor tonight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Much much more to say on the show later, but ill just confirm the Mox stuff, he sat in the ring for a couple minutes before finally making it to his feet and leaving through the crowd to clapping and a big Moxley chant. Not sure if it was caught on TV but I happened to be looking at the jumbo screen above the ring for that particular count, and Knox did try to save it by giving a quick swipe under Mox's shoulder as if to say 'not all the way down.' Crowd clearly didnt buy it and everyone took a huge dump on it. I actually hadn't noticed Mox get knocked on the dive from way up where we were, so I was questioning whether he was hurt or if Knox just botched the finish because I was like, if Mox was hurt why would Fenix pile drive him again instead of, idk, a figure four or armbar or something - but it makes sense now if Mox was coherent enough to give Knox an FU (which we obviously didn't see live) he may have been able to call it, who knows - the aftermath was definitely one of the scarier moments I've seen, but he was spry walking out

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I'm not a trained wrestler or anything so I could be wrong, but isn't that Greetings from Asbury Park that Fenix has been using lately one of the safer pile driver variants? I don't think I've ever seen one of those where the person taking it wasn't at least 6 inches off the mat.

4 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

2 hours ago, username said:

I said elsewhere that I'm just glad Owen Hart was smarter about this than Fenix was >_>

Must be hard to think on the fly and not panic but both messed up.

• Like 2

Roderick Strong is killing it in his current role! Cole's, "open your eyes, Roddy" when Roddy was saying he couldn't see him was brilliant!

As someone who has ankles made of glass (on 3 seperate occasions I've rolled/sprained an ankle just walking along the footpath!) I winced when I saw Cole go over on his ankle.

I have to believe RJ City has played a big hand in Toni Storm's new presentation - wasn't he trying a similar character himself pre-AEW? Either way, kudos to Toni for totally committing to the character. The women's roster (mostly due to lack of screen/promo time) is lacking in big characters I find, so it's good to see someone taking a big swing and connecting. More please!

Matches were all good to great, I need mega-face Daniel Garcia mowing through the Callis family yesterday if not sooner!

Oh yeah, loved Taz popping for his t-shirt in the crowd!

• Like 5

Having Eddie go over and become double champ in his fucking hometown should be a no-brainer.  Good to see that our former board member absorbed the lessons learned from all of us armchair bookers here at DVDVR. 

It was a great moment.  Tears were shed.

Claudio adhered to the Code at the end of the match and shook Eddie's hand.  Pure class.  More tears were shed.

I thought Sammy was dead after that Codebreaker counter to his SSP.  I hope Sammy leaving with Callis means that he's turning heel.  Takeshita / Guevarra might be the sexiest heel tag-team ever created.

Roderick Strong should just go full Iron Mike Sharpe and wrestle with a protective leather collar.  Hell, give him an industrial strength neck brace like Lord Humungus wore in The Road Warrior.

As happy as I am about Fenix winning the International belt, I have to believe that wasn't the original finish.  i hope Mox is okay.  I am kinda bummed that the Orange Cassidy journey to redemption and revenge has probably been shitcanned now that Mox is the ex-champ and probably injured.  Not a good night for the BCC.

Saraya retaining was the least interesting thing on this card but as most of you have said, Toni doesn't need the belt to be over.  The problem is what do you do with Saraya when you know that the woman the fans would rather see defend her title is Kris Statlander?

MJF being the thing that will not die because holding the AEW World Tile = Life for him is the best thing in this fed.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Must be hard to think on the fly and not panic but both messed up.

Yeah for me the three incidents that immediately came to mind were three of the most extreme cases of bewildering negligence, so I'm glad Moxley's injuries are very much minor by comparison, but my brain went to 1) Mammoth Sasaki working down Hayabusa after he was paralyzed; 2) Takaiwa delivering another powerbomb to Hoshikawa while he lay unconscious and snoring; 3) Juvi continuing to stomp down and perform spots on a deceased Silver King. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Yeah for me the three incidents that immediately came to mind were three of the most extreme cases of bewildering negligence, so I'm glad Moxley's injuries are very much minor by comparison, but my brain went to 1) Mammoth Sasaki working down Hayabusa after he was paralyzed; 2) Takaiwa delivering another powerbomb to Hoshikawa while he lay unconscious and snoring; 3) Juvi continuing to stomp down and perform spots on a deceased Silver King. 

Those alongside Alex Reynolds out cold, total dead weight and Matt Hardy at All Out 2020.

• Like 2