DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 8/16 - 8/22/2023

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, porksweats said:

No matter how bad the Texas Chainsaw Deathmatch started, the visual of Singh standing tall at the end was worth it all.

1 minute ago, Zimbra said:

Sonjay's entrance to the match was also pretty choice.

Outside of the opening segment and a couple other bits that was a rough watch.

Taz on commentary: “Well, that was something.”

• Like 5

Good to see my favorite duo, Penelope and The Bunny, back on my screen. The match with Britt, like all of the qualifying matches, was pretty much a foregone conclusion. No surprises there. Hoping that Shida retains at All In.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I know hyperbole and present bias are all the rage but I think the Texas Chainsaw Massacre match is up there as one of the worst things I've ever seen in pro wrestling. 

Rest of the show was meh. At least All In looks great.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, elizium said:

One of those super long ones they use to cut down giant trees like redwoods 

Phantasm 2 Chainsaw Ghoul | Dieselpunk, Historical figures, Horror

We didn't get that, but we did get 1. A Leatherface, 2. a container of a liquid substance tossed on a wrestler in the Memphis tradition (this time fake blood), 3. a sledgehammer, so I was happy. It was some serious Wrestlecrap but they're good at it. And DAT BELT~! (Another piece of Wrestlecrap was Kenny and JR apparently being "surprised" by Callis who walked up on them from what looked like a half a football field away in an empty arena, then Kenny not seeing the guys running up from THE SAME SPOT to jump him. Like, you can't see them to get ready to defend yourself? They are literally YARDS AWAY!)

Other than that, we got two blade jobs, a solid enough meat-and-potatoes Yuta/OC match, a good Gates/skinny bois tag, Joker Sting, and a bunch of whatcha call in yer movies "exposition". A prediction: House of Black are the other three for Stadium Stampede, but who knows. I'd like something more surprising actually.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The more I think about it... after the opener, was this an actual episode of 97-99 RAW? Like the way it really was and not the way the world chose to remember 97-99 RAW?? Really hot in-ring promos, the top act getting several consecutive segments, no match going over ten minutes, aggressive PPV hawking, the boss shouting people down in pre-tapes, and some of the most akward shit you've ever seen in your life? WHAT YEAR IS IT????

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Cassidy v Wheeler was a solid opener. Nice to see Kingston back in the fold. Production has been very questionable lately and was clearly an issue throughout this episode. I look forward to the JR sitdown, but this one with Omega was fucking awful. Just terrible. The beatdown was okay, and I'm into the booking. Hangman drinking at the hospital segment was odd but fun. I was also into the Callis-Jericho segment. Ospreay debuts despite the choice to not get the right camera. Allin/Wayne v Kaun/Toa was fine, good finish. I dug the outlandish Sting promo. These MJF/Cole skits are making me fear the future of this company. That said, generally into this tandem's live mic work. This was no exception. Roddy, Roddy! Hardy v Jarrett was horrible, messy, bad television. Seemed like the TNA I carefully avoided watching. Kudos to the always great Karen Jarrett. I liked Baker v Bunny just fine. It was competent and the best Britt match in awhile. Acclaimed-House of Black segment was fine if a bit awkward/poorly timed. The standard House of Black segment I guess. Ass Boys v Bucks was fine. The Gunns have been better. This match suggested they're still in need of some polish. This show could have used some polish. This felt like a half baked Rampage style production. But it was not without its moments.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, The Natural said:

All In will get the third ever Stadium Stampede match. The first was in 2020 and the second in 2021. Be interesting to see the three names teaming up with BCC. Have no interest whatsoever in Chris Jericho vs. Will Ospreay.

Feeling like Shooter is an easy pick for the BCC side. Danielson should be just about healthy now, right?

Jarrett really did all the heavy lifting in that one. With how limited Jeff Hardy has been recently this easily could have been an 8 man and they probably could have done more creative stuff with more moving parts like that. Really liked the costumes for the match though and Jeff Hardy's facepaint. 

(JOKER!) Sting and Prince Nana in a segment together.... stuff like that is why AEW is the fucking best.

I'm ready to say Cole and MJF has been better than the (recent) Bloodline stuff.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

A question. Have anybody came closer to the announce desk than during the death match tonight? I can't remember a single moment of the table getting crushed WWE-style at all.

Hobbs chokeslammed Punk through  on top of/collapsed the announce table to build to their 2021 Rampage Grand Slam match.

I think it's an interesting little character point that it's the first time we've seen Hangman drinking in a long time, and it coincides with teaming with Kenny again.

I'm far more interested in Jericho/Guevara than Jericho/Ospreay. Even Sami/Ospreay. Such a weird train of segments where JR looks dishevelled as shit and barely coherent interviewing Kenny re Callis. The cutaway to JR looking mildly apathetic while the beatdown occurs was a choice.

Then after that, you do the Jericho/Callis angle and transfer all of Kenny's heat onto Jericho. You're left with a relatively pointless six man where most of the participants have no real skin in the game and a Jericho match no one really wants to see, presumably to avoid Omega/Ospreay happening here, and to a lesser extent shoehorning some of the main guys on to the card by any means necessary.

Similar issues with the Stadium Stampede. Throw a bunch of guys in, hope for the best and to keep everyone happy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, porksweats said:

No matter how bad the Texas Chainsaw Deathmatch started, the visual of Singh standing tall at the end was worth it all.

The Leatherface championship belt was glorious.

Much love to Jay Lethal for the TCM mallet kill callback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrQTEGgKdGo

Jack Perry's heel promo about retiring the FTW championship was 100% money.  Slowly but surely, he is becoming a quality douchebag.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5