DVDVR Message Board

All In II - 8/27/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Just now, Octopus said:

Can we have a separate thread for Jungle Boy being an idiot?

It can probably just go into the catch-all AEW thread.

I thought this was a really solid show with really no match under-delivering. The women's match wasn't great but I thought it was worked as well as it could have been. Elite/Bullet Club, FTR/Young Bucks, and the Stadium Stampede were all really fun. I still don't know where MJF/Cole is going but I'm still intrigued and glad they didn't go with the obvious turn tonight.

• Like 2

#FTR vs. Young Bucks III was my MOTN and I was pleasantly surprised FTR win the rubber match retaining the AEW World Tag Team Championship. Didn't expect that. Speaking of expectations, I enjoyed Stadium Stampede more than I thought. CM Punk vs. Samoa Joe was good but ended abruptly with a Pepsi Plunge, it needed ten more minutes at least.

Tony Khan spending the big bucks on Queen's We Will Rock You and Metallica's Seek and Destroy. Sting/Darby Allin vs. Christian Cage/Swerve Strickland was wild. Feel good moment with Saraya winning the AEW Women's World Championship. Bollocks to the Acclaimed beating House of Black for the AEW Trios Titles though. MJF retained the AEW World Championship. MJF didn't turn on Adam Cole or vice versa sending fans home happy. Even more so the announcement of AEW All In London 2 in August 2024. Be interesting to see how that draws compared to it's predecessor. Can you capture lightning in a bottle twice? I'm leaning towards no but we said that when this was announced.

That was definitely the show they needed to have.

How many people in attendance do you think aren't regular AEW viewers who got lured in by friends? How many viewers only tuned in because of the insane attendance figured and historical hype? And they managed to put together a show that felt every bit as big as it actually was, showed off a large chunk of what the company's good at doing, and most importantly - the show didn't drag. Granted anything that's 5 hours long will leave you tired by the end, but the pacing was really on point.

• Like 9

I've never watched one of these press conferences but I'm sure as shit watching this one.

EDIT: Also, we got two big bangs of carny tonight between Saraya's family and Jericho getting his band a payday for one verse.

Edited by Sex Machine Gun

I thought it was a great show that was about a million times better than it was built, and to a degree, looked on paper. They rarely miss on PPV and this was no exception; let's see if they can do it two weeks in a row. Eager for the scrum as well, for obvious reasons.

• Like 5

I was waiting for the scrum to start, and I thought the backdrop was a static production still until there was a weird orb moving at the bottom of the screen that was in fact a bald guy making his way to his seat.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I thought it was a great show that was about a million times better than it was built, and to a degree, looked on paper. They rarely miss on PPV and this was no exception; let's see if they can do it two weeks in a row. Eager for the scrum as well, for obvious reasons.

Agreed on all counts.

Despite all the typical bullshit with juggling Russian livestreams that probably fucked my computer up even more, this was a lot of fun. Every match felt like a main event for a show and all of them except for the Bullet Club Gold match was received exceptionally by a SHIT. LOAD. of people. Octopus joked it was eight billion and it certainly looked it. 

Spoiler

- I showed up in time for the second half of Hook/Jungle Boy. The kids had huevos to do the glass after Punk pulled rank; details about the fight are gonna be hilarious I'm sure. Fun match and the beginning of what was to be a bloody night. 

- Joked in the chat that Punk got juice exclusively because of JB. It might've been the other way around, in retrospect. Fantastic match with both guys goofing on each other, Joe controlling the pace perfectly and then... Punk hits his Pedigree off the corner and it ends? Very anticlimactic. Hope Joe just steamrolls him on the next show sheerly out of spite. 

- We were having a ball in the Discord with the eight man. Juice is such a goof, we pondered him and Toni having their own reality show and I said that he needs to get an afro. That little move across the apron he did while Takeshita hit a shoulderblock looked like Dr. Rockso creeping around. The spot where everyone hits and knocks down everyone else in a row in these tags is an AEW trope that needs to be put out of its misery by now. Poor Lard Lad was a big victim here: Not only did he come out to that crap Callis "music" to no reaction, but he got DEAD SILENCE from 80000 and change at the finish. It reminded me of Raven talking about the ECW crucifixion angle in the Forever Hardcore documentary. 

Raven: "We had that silent, kind of Japanese heat."

Cut to Kid Kash: "I was there. Yeah, that didn't get over. *laughs* AT ALL."

Damn. Now he's gotta still have a match with Kenny, and then...? Shoulda kept him face...

- I slipped on some of these matches starting with the tag titles, and my computer started doing the same. I actually had my feed freeze exactly before the final pinfall and restart with FTR holding the belts. Jeez. It was very much the match you expected from them from what I saw. 

- Oh, you know I loved the Stadium Stampede. Thought those boards might've had explosives but they learned that lesson long ago. Mad juice all over, reckless stunts (the ladder spot re-do was incredibly ill-advised), a throw back to the late Axl Rotten and that piece of shit in Kentucky, fantastic finish, big night for everyone there. Best Friends victorious at the end is one for the history books. Damn, these finishes were great tonight. 

- Caught most of the four-way and was real happy for Saraya. Caught far less of the six-man and was happy that the crowd was happy, I guess. The coffin match was another one right up my alley and confirmed once again that Darby is both suicidal and indestructible. Tonight their theme was "Sting and Destroy", with Sting being Sting and Destroy definitely being Darby. Swerve was great. Christian was great. Stinger was a loon too. It all totally worked. 

- Caught little of Jericho/Ospreay because I was caught up in watching Horror Express on TV. Yeah, I know. The end looked quality and reaction was banana. 

- MJF/Cole was destroyed by the feed problems. I caught the silliness with the double pin and the chairs and just rolled my eyes. Missed the roll-up... oh well. 

May I add that the chat connected to these feeds was like the polar opposite of our Discord? I haven't read such racist, sexist filth in ages. People were calling MJeff the 'K' word, all kinds of shit. Boy are people horrible. Otherwise, this was a blast!

• Like 3

I fled for the tube as soon as the bell rang for the (real) main finish and am glad I didn't miss a major plot twist, though apparently I missed a beef Between Cm punk and luke Perry's son?

It was a fun, watchable show in the arena for how long it was, with a friendly atmosphere. Almost jumped out of my seating block marking out at the FTR Bucks finish. Thought the amount of meta comedy in the main event of an 80k stadium show was genuinely weird at times idk

• Like 2