DVDVR Message Board

August 2023 Wrestling Discussion

57 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I've never read TMZ before; do they always put "..." and "--" in every other sentence in their writing for no reason? 

Yes.

I think it's always been to maintain the gossip rag aesthetic.

10 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I know people have been saying the Bloodline is going into late nWo territory with their story recently, but it's not like there are guys in other companies doing . . .

I keep watching this every time I see it, sometimes repeatedly, and goddamnit would this foursome make the best faction!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Raziel said:

How are you that culturally illiterate yet know know about Badstreet?

I didn’t watch much TV Land as a kid. I did like Welcome Back Kotter and Mork & Mindy. Dick Van Dyke show was a favorite too. I pretty much just did Dick Van Dyke spots during my stage career. I’m just not 80 years old and didn’t experience Three’s Company and the other one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

#1 I am very, very excited to hear this. That'll be a definite day one (or next soonest payday...) buy from me.!

While you're waiting for that book to be finished, may I recommend another book about WCW ... ? (see signature)

DVDVR SAT question -

CM Punk : Rocky III :: just drew : ________

A. Welcome Back Kotter

B. Mork & Mindy

C. The Dick Van Dyke Show

D. Three’s Company

Edited by Hamhock
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

17 hours ago, Matt D said:

We actually got a bunch of Ice Train in Germany over the last few years where he was "Choo Choo Ice Train" and super over with the crowd. The 95 stuff has him really green though and maybe not quite as protected as he'd be in WCW. There's a fun Finlay match and this weird trios cage match which is fun but not quite as good as it ought to be. By 97 when he comes back, he's somewhat better though. Like this is legitimately good:

By 95, PN News had absolutely gotten it and by 97 he knew exactly what he was and exactly what he should be and exactly how much to give and when against a guy the size of Ice Train. So they build and they build here, with Ice Train almost coming back or almost getting Karoff on the outside, even through a pretty effective and over hulk up. They build it with him working towards the slam or getting hit by a big bomb by Grizzly and barely survive it only to move the second time. It doesn't really have a finish but has some solid and violent stuff on the floor at the end instead.  There's probably some Fire and Ice match in WCW which is better because it's more focused and limited but this is almost certainly up there with Ice Train's best match. If you've never seen Grizzly outside of 1991-2 WCW, you should give this a look. He grew into a top heel for Germany.

I definitely need to watch more CWA. I watched a few matches some months back and liked it, but totally forgot cause I had to catch on present day stuff.

I actually brought up an Ice Train interview last night after I made the aforementioned reference. Besides saying Fire and Ice should have went over the Steiners cause they lifted more in the gym (can't see any fault in that), he brought up his run in Germany and brought up how over he was over there. Now that Matt D has provided the proper context, it makes wonder if certain guys and gals need a different look in a totally different atmosphere away from certain scrutiny. I mean we can say more house shows (or any houses show, period) and more dark matches until we are blue in the face, but that's still not the complete experience as a pro wrestler. You're not just working for one audience of 18-34 year old red blooded Americans if you ever make it to the majors.

I know for a little while wXw inherited the mantle for wrestling in the same areas or in close proximity to where Otto Wanz ran. It makes me wonder instead of a NXT Europe that's doomed to not make it, what if there were a handful of solid and reliable promotions out in Western Europe where you could send some of the greener folks or folks who do have experience but are missing something like a Brian Pillman Jr. and let them work there for 1-3 years? If you look up and down those old CWA cards, it's nothing but wrestlers like that if you take out a Fit Finlay or a Vader. That sounds better than the NXT model of, "you got like six to nine months before we make a firm decision on whether you got it or not". It also is better than the old AEW model of "you went to the Nightmare Factory, huh....sign on the dotted line." 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Casey said:

So you’re just 100 years old and experienced the Dick Van Dyke show.

Time slots, man. Also, I found black & white shoes very soothing. Probably another indicator of my atypical autism…

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, EVA said:

You won’t have to wait long. DVDVR abhors an asshole vacuum. I feel like there was very little downtime between A_K getting Cash’d and The Dolphman Rises.

It appears to be a few people coming in, getting thrown out and coming back sometime later, but I guess they tag in and out in between so they aren't here at the same time. After All In, or after All Out at the latest, there will be a new contrarian, "shit all over everything"-voice on AEW threads, I know this. It will be a flipside of what the previous ones did. Somebody else trying to spin-off, like a series. The eggshells that most people walk on for a bit after an escalation that leads to a ban is of course a nice, peaceful, more considerate time, but as you pointed out, it seldom lasts for too long.

• Haha 1

#1: A test to the "Anybody who comes out of a box is instantly over" claim

#2: D3bHKtiWwAEgNE7?format=jpg&name=small

We will adopt your baby

Just because I just saw an 11 year old win an Orlando house (which his family flipped quickly). In Your House baby.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Shartnado said:

It appears to be a few people coming in, getting thrown out and coming back sometime later, but I guess they tag in and out in between so they aren't here at the same time. After All In, or after All Out at the latest, there will be a new contrarian, "shit all over everything"-voice on AEW threads, I know this. It will be a flipside of what the previous ones did. Somebody else trying to spin-off, like a series. The eggshells that most people walk on for a bit after an escalation that leads to a ban is of course a nice, peaceful, more considerate time, but as you pointed out, it seldom lasts for too long.

DVDVR: where Scandinavians slyly paraphrase Rock Superstar just to see if anyone notices.

• Haha 2