DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV (Week of July 24, 2023)

RIPPA

Can't believe the crowd was chanting "use the table" during Andrade-Buddy. Like goddamn have you people ever seen a wrestling match before, they're gonna get to it

Wonder if someone could get a heel act over where they set up insanely elaborate MITB-style table and ladder deathtraps in hardcore matches then just win with a small package without using them

"We want tables" chants in general should result in an automatic five minute chinlock imo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

19 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

MAN that was an extremely entertaining two hours. The end of the ladder match was convoluted (and usage of handcuffs in any wrestling match should be an infamnia) but it was pretty brutal. I for one believe the dislocated shoulder was real but we'll see. Something just looked... wrong... with the left arm afterwards. Darby comes out for a mystery opponent and it's SUZUKI~! He is over as fuck and they have a sweet little match. They hilariously save a botched Code Red into a rollup because Suzuki is old. Joe squashes Gravity and mocks his stupid space-walk by turning it into a Fargo Strut. Ricky Starks owns CM Punk on the microphone after he introduces the new Being CM Punk/AEW X-Division (TM geohellraiser on the Discord) title. Juice and all the young boys have a solid six man and Mercedes gets to bang out AND set up Stat/Mercedes which is gonna rule. And then we get a tag where the crowd is absolutely slavering over every single pinfall, of which there are like twenty, and we have a perfect finish and post-match. This totally made up for the crapulousness from yesterday. 

Mostly nailed it. 

19 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

That was a succulent episode of teevee wrestling. I'm gonna highlight the finish to Andrade/Buddy - the big powerbomb was clean, the handcuffs worked, the key worked, the bolt cutters worked, Julia stayed on Andrade's back + maneuvered to the ladder perfectly (and her facial expressions were money), the push and the table spot was clean as anything, the mask came down easily. A lot of things could have went wrong but other than some camera gripes they nailed every single part of it.

I loved that match. I hate most ladder matches, especially the multi-person, and the overuse of the stipulation, but this was wonderful.

16 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Always great to see Kiera Hogan back on and a nice home state win for Mercedes, wasn't expecting her to go total heel again afterwards but I dig it. 

Yeah, I welcome a Mercedes Martinez heel run. Seems like the most effective play. Statlander v Mercedes is certainly a match to look forward to.

Big night for this show. Easily my best-loved Collision thus far. Seems like a real lift off for this CMFTR (booking) crew.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

Can't believe the crowd was chanting "use the table" during Andrade-Buddy. Like goddamn have you people ever seen a wrestling match before, they're gonna get to it

Wonder if someone could get a heel act over where they set up insanely elaborate MITB-style table and ladder deathtraps in hardcore matches then just win with a small package without using them

"We want tables" chants in general should result in an automatic five minute chinlock imo

Yeah, I was not into that at all. It makes me uncomfortable, like in an 'old timey organ grinder forcing a malnourished monkey to dance' sort of way. Immediately thought of a couple moments in Mick Foley's first book, like where he talks about the ECW crowd wanting more and more violence, and where he talks about Ole Anderson(?) giving the Vietnam soldier example (which has some validity). But yeah, no bueno - very embarrassing, and we did not take part 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
I forgot, I think they did that on Wednesday as well in Albany
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

That actually got shut down really impressively. That was the first time I’ve noticed a backlash to that inane chant. 

On 7/28/2023 at 7:57 PM, Casey said:

Kiera/Martinez on Collision will be really good too, hopefully. I suspect the crowd will be pretty silent for it however.

Here’s the thing if you treat the women as an after thought and have certain people disappear for months on end then your training your audience to treat them as an afterthought 

good thing CM Punk had called The Dragon just in case he needed a special referee, Pretty Ricky has a point about having beat the “real worlds champion “

I wonder if the audience is starting to turn on FTR due to Dax becoming more and more of a one note act 

4 hours ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

Very neat idea, and surprised it hasn't been done. Or on a wider stage. To my knowledge. Anyone?

I dream of a day when tables are never pulled from under the ring and set-up ever a-Gain. Ringside tables, would be fair game in this dream, but no one would chant for 'tables' because they would never know when the surprise table spot might occur. In my dream, the use of ladders is incredibly rare. Maybe once in a year. And flimsy trashcans would be a relic of the past that we would notice and remark about when returning to the early AEW back catalog. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, AxB said:

A lot of times when they use handcuffs in wrestling, it goes wrong. Either they can’t get them on right (and you get Adam Cole clinging to the bottom rope to hide the fact that he’s not actually handcuffed to it), or they can’t get them off fast enough (and one guy has to stall for ages while waiting for the handcuffed guy to escape and stop him winning). But last night, it worked perfectly. The wrestling gods were with them.

I kinda thought Buddy was having a time with the bolt cutters so Julia climbing the ladder was an audible. However if it wasn’t then hats of to them for working me

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Yeah, I was not into that at all. It makes me uncomfortable, like in an 'old timey organ grinder forcing a malnourished monkey to dance' sort of way. Immediately thought of a couple moments in Mick Foley's first book, like where he talks about the ECW crowd wanting more and more violence, and where he talks about Ole Anderson(?) giving the Vietnam soldier example (which has some validity). But yeah, no bueno - very embarrassing, and we did not take part 

I remember the bit about the Daffey Duck bump but what’s the Ole story?

5 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I remember the bit about the Daffey Duck bump but what’s the Ole story?

It's not an exact quote, but I believe it was... the first time a soldier sees a dead body, they're upset, they go "oh that's awful, I can't believe it". The next time they see a dead body, they go "oh, that's not good." Then they progressively get less and less concerned about seeing dead bodies until they can see a whole village of burned corpses and not blink an eye.

Meaning you can be shocked by something, but you'll never be shocked as much as the first time, and if the way you try to handle shock is to escalate things, you eventually get desensitized to it to the point where it means nothing when you see atrocities.

Edited by Sparkleface
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Very neat idea, and surprised it hasn't been done. Or on a wider stage. To my knowledge. Anyone?

I dream of a day when tables are never pulled from under the ring and set-up ever a-Gain. Ringside tables, would be fair game in this dream, but no one would chant for 'tables' because they would never know when the surprise table spot might occur. In my dream, the use of ladders is incredibly rare. Maybe once in a year. And flimsy trashcans would be a relic of the past that we would notice and remark about when returning to the early AEW back catalog. 

In Beyond Wrestling, they did a gimmick show where the idea was it was a tryout show for a TV Network, so everyone had new gimmicks and matches had lame Sportz Entz storylines (like "Hackman" (Wheeler Yuta) and Christian Casanova (Carmelo Hayes) fought over control of a USB drive). The Hardcore match between Slade and "Mack Hetfield" (Matthew Justice) saw them repeatedly set up hardcore death bumps, only for the Network Executive (Hornswoggle) to come out and say that was too extreme and they couldn't use that.

The only weapon he approved was a Sink Plunger. Only then Hetfield small packaged and pinned Slade before he could use it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I was able to catch the full Joe/Gravity squash on YouTube and I must have watched Joe do that slow-walk 100 times now. I need to track down some more Gravity stuff. Fun gimmicks and squashes might be my favorite combo. Considering I don't have Dark/Elevation to fill my weekly wrestling void I'm thinking of springing for the Honor Club. I've never really been an ROH guy but they've got a fun group of wrestlers. 

Not a fan of Adam Cole or MJF promos but I caught the recap video of their shenanigans the past month and the after-match promo from last night and they're winning me over. 

• Like 6

I don't think anybody on Earth needs a Jeff Jarrett match more than the Elite. This snaps them right out of their quasi-Codyverse and throws them right into gen pop like they oughta be. I wonder how much of the match will be Lethal bumping and feeding for Bucks spots, but I am honestly optimistic that I will get a Satnam-on-Kenny heat segment good enough to rewatch on the international feed.

This maybe probably? feels like a response to the relatively success of Collision's post (if not anti)-NJPW/PWG/Black & Gold booking.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Casey said:

I can’t wait to see someone’s mind fucking explode when Matt Jackson beats up Satnam Singh.

Let's see him suplex Satham and Jarrett at the same time! It will definitely be a missed opportunity if they don't do some version of that spot! Like Satham suplexing the entire Elite team at the same time, or something?

Anyway, Collision was excellent with the crazy ladder match and the main event tag. Yeah, I was surprised Cole and MJF are stil together. Both guys are showing growth as human beings here. I'm really interested in seeing how this will eventually go? Right now, I haven't got a clue, but still maintain that Roddy will also play a part in it. The fact that he was nowhere to be seen tonight, was quite telling.

I'll give some time to see where this "Real World Title" thing is going, but for now my stance is "not cool". I mean at least make Jack Perry abandon the FTW title altogether, if everybody is just going to start carrying fake world titles around. One at a time, please! But if this one is resolved in a timely fashion, with a(nother) unification match, then I will probably be fine with it!

Martinez vs Statlander should be a blast! The Golden Gunns trios match was a lot of fun! Did White get injured in that epic 2/3 falls tag title match?

Edited by Shartnado
Collision
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I feel like this is definitive proof Tony still reads the board. I have said I’d be interested in Kenny v Jarrett 

And I was over here being unhappy that I missed the first Andrade vs Matthews match and got a crazy ladder rematch as a consolation. I probably should go order All Out as a thank you for that one!

• Like 1

... please have the MJF-Cole title match be a respectful, grueling epic... ending on a double clothesline, with (whoever wins) just being the one to have their arm atop the other.

(also - I'm sure that rewatching will provide evidence to the contrary, but I came out of that tag thinking Cole's moveset has gotten really limited. He did how many pump kicks and superkicks?)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Iron Moose said:

... please have the MJF-Cole title match be a respectful, grueling epic... ending on a double clothesline, with (whoever wins) just being the one to have their arm atop the other.

It's MJF - you're getting a Piper-Bret tribute complete with Max teasing hitting Cole with the ringbell before deciding against it

Calling it now - the finish is Cole picking up the bell and clocking MJF to win the title

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Iron Moose said:

(also - I'm sure that rewatching will provide evidence to the contrary, but I came out of that tag thinking Cole's moveset has gotten really limited. He did how many pump kicks and superkicks?)

granted that I've never seen him before AEW, but he's like a one-man Young Bucks with his superkick spam.

• Haha 1

I'm not a Cole fan by any means, but I'm also not at the level of some here in disliking him (I mean, no one is), but I do feel like the guy has a pretty decent excuse if he's been rusty lately. I really can't imagine the mental toll it took on him when he was out and it looked like his career was over. Also, I wouldn't think he was able to train much at all when he was out.

It's actually pretty smart that they've had him doing these schtick-heavy tag matches with MJF. I think maybe the Jericho match showed that he wasn't ready for full-on singles matches. Although, I did think his draw with MJF was better than I expected, so who knows?

Anyway, before I go, I just want to be a little bit of a dick and leave this down here:

Spoiler

Adam Cole: 5'11", 200 lbs (Cagematch profile); 6'0", 202 lbs (Wikipedia)

Ricky Starks: 6'0", 194 lbs (Cagematch and Wikipedia)

• Like 2