DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 7/5 - 7/11/2023

My favorite part of FTR/BCG was the business with the Muta Lock. Jay spits in Dax’s face so he comes in and petulantly stomps Jay to break the hold, even though it’s not a very babyface thing to do, then when he tries to just walk away, Jay pursues him to the outside and kicks his ass for a few seconds before coming back to work on Cash. It all felt very spontaneous and genuine.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 9

Collision reminds me of peak NXT a little, kind of a hybrid of the weekly TV and the specials. Five matches with emphasis on storytelling and a clear sense of which matches are "featured", brisk pace with a focus on the in-ring, old school flourishes and tournaments in honour of departed legends, lots of wrestlers who were actually in NXT when it was good, commentator who doesn't know how to pronounce "coup de grace", etc etc

Also maybe something about a smallish roster of heavily featured talent who work together in slightly varying configurations but get good results from it

Anyway, interesting to see the Regina crowd was purely pro-Punk, they were eating up everything in a way that added to the show and deserved the good matches they got, despite the raised eyebrows about burning Joe-Punk "IV" there imo!

Edited by Firebreaker Chip
  • Like 8

Canada has been very pro-Punk except the Toronto run. I think the predictions of how negatively he’d be received outside of Chicago have been pretty exaggerated, mainly by anti-Punk fans.

I’m interested to see the rating for this show since he was advertised in a match versus last week being 1) taped for a holiday weekend and 2) being advertised for commentary and that’s it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Canada has been very pro-Punk except the Toronto run. I think the predictions of how negatively he’d be received outside of Chicago have been pretty exaggerated, mainly by anti-Punk fans.

I’m interested to see the rating for this show since he was advertised in a match versus last week being 1) taped for a holiday weekend and 2) being advertised for commentary and that’s it.

Our circles really built up Punk vs Joe IV as a big deal. I’m curious if that translated into numbers. If not, they probably need to pull the trigger on an angle as just “a great wrestling show” has a ceiling.

• Like 5

I’m in on the notion of this episode having a Takeover feel.  It’s no coincidence that there was yet another stellar Revival match on the show and a main event with a betrayal angle tacked on at the end.  Yep sounds like NXT to me.  Don’t mind if I just go ahead and agree with myself. 

I liked Punk/Joe a lot more than I thought I would.  I kind of was betting on one of them getting hurt early and fucking everything up.  Nice lil Owen roll to get the win.

• Like 1

Starks/Hobbs was the worst match I've seen featured on AEW TV in some time. The timing was off on everything and it felt like they couldn't get on the same page with each other, let alone the spots where QT had to get involved. Both guys are obviously better than that and everyone's gonna have an off night once in a while, but it was pretty jarring from a company where the in-ring action is pretty much always smooth start to finish with lots of high degree of difficulty spots.

I do like the slightly different presentation to the show. I don't mind the "split" aspect in the sense that certain feuds happen on Dynamite and others happen on Collision. It does make it easier to watch both shows when you see entirely different wrestlers. I hope they'll get some rotation where some weeks Punk/Joe can have a segment on Dynamite and Elite/BCC can do something Collision, or whatever their next feuds are.

Not the fault of Joe or Punk, but I still haven't been able to watch their match in full. When I tried watching it Saturday night and this would be around midnight, I kept falling asleep when it would get to Joe vs Punk. I probably started watching it just after 1 am, fell asleep, woke up, it was then 2:30 am, went back to that match, fell asleep again, woke up and it was 5 am, and finally said fuck it and went to sleep in bed instead of falling asleep on the couch. 

Everything else was great though. Whoever said that FTR vs BCG tricked them with the type of the match they were having got it correct. It started out like you would think a 12 to 15 minute match would go and then it just kept going through 2 commercial breaks. I thought for a second they were going to go to a time limit draw. Really outstanding match and the last few weeks of Collision have made me change my tune on Juice. Him being a hype man, rabid dog for the calmer, more menacing Jay White works perfectly. I'm still a little surprised it's Jay and Juice going after the tag titles and not the Golden Gunns.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Not the fault of Joe or Punk, but I still haven't been able to watch their match in full. When I tried watching it Saturday night and this would be around midnight, I kept falling asleep when it would get to Joe vs Punk. I probably started watching it just after 1 am, fell asleep, woke up, it was then 2:30 am, went back to that match, fell asleep again, woke up and it was 5 am, and finally said fuck it and went to sleep in bed instead of falling asleep on the couch. 

Everything else was great though. Whoever said that FTR vs BCG tricked them with the type of the match they were having got it correct. It started out like you would think a 12 to 15 minute match would go and then it just kept going through 2 commercial breaks. I thought for a second they were going to go to a time limit draw. Really outstanding match and the last few weeks of Collision have made me change my tune on Juice. Him being a hype man, rabid dog for the calmer, more menacing Jay White works perfectly. I'm still a little surprised it's Jay and Juice going after the tag titles and not the Golden Gunns.

I kept dozing off during the tag match. Also not the match's fault. I was so confused when I'd go in and out of consciousness and they were still going. I came to for the Punk/Joe match. Cash's selling when he ran down for the save had me wondering if he'd been legit injured in the tag match. That, and the fact that every time I'd come back in, it was Dax and Jay White in the ring. I had no concept of how long the match had gone on, but it felt like Dax and White were in there for like 20 minutes alone. I swear I was totally sober for all of that.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

In the promo afterwards didn't Dax say something about having a surprise for BCG next week? Bret Hart maybe? They're gonna be in Calgary right?

Isn't Bret back on a WWE Legends deal?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

In the promo afterwards didn't Dax say something about having a surprise for BCG next week? Bret Hart maybe? They're gonna be in Calgary right?

Harry Smith would be a nice surprise, and then you can set up Harry for a match at Wembley

Collision is such a great pro wrestling show. The promos before the opening! The commentary is different vibe from what we've got from AEW to this point. In ring has been fantastic, I got to see episodes 2 and 3 live and had a blast. 

Not saying that it's better than Dynamite, just alot of different notes that make it fresh. We are going to be spoiled with the Calgary and Boston shows happening 4 days apart.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

I must have missed something with him if there's enough of ya'll saying a hard no. Did he do or say something stupid?

I just think he's pretty bland. YMMV, though.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 11:48 AM, Log said:

Isn't Bret back on a WWE Legends deal?

Dunno, but when I googled to find out I saw an article from a few days ago that said he's cancelled all upcoming appearances per doctor's orders. Also his middle name is Sergeant. I never knew that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Dunno, but when I googled to find out I saw an article from a few days ago that said he's cancelled all upcoming appearances per doctor's orders. Also his middle name is Sergeant. I never knew that. 

Damn, I really hope it's nothing serious. Positive vibes up for the GOAT.

Also: I wasn't able to go due to a wedding (and I'm still furious) but Bret managed FTR at an indy show in the lobby of Lowell, MA's city hall against Pillman Jr. and Brock Anderson (with Arn managing them) with the reason being that he apparently couldn't appear on AEW TV with them due to his Legends deal (which I'm guessing he wasn't on at the time he presented the title at the first DoN, though I know he was a last minute replacement for Flair).

Not nearly enough talk about the Big News from Saturday: they've changed the rules for Eliminator matches so that the term now makes a modicum of sense! The would-be challenger is now eliminated from title contention if they lose!

Booking-wise, this seems questionable to me. But nomenclature-wise it's a big win.

• Like 2