DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JULY 2023

6 hours ago, 赤い竜 said:

AEW's new safety protocols in the link below, banned stuff and restricted stuff (you need permission from coaches for restricted moves and actions)

https://comicbook.com/wwe/news/aew-new-safety-protocols-banned-moves-pre-approval-blood-weapons-crowd/

Buckle bombs are just dumb for the risk neither the giver or the taker and see what’s going on

• Like 4

Another thought for anyone worrying about the "restricted moves" is that presumably this policy was in effect on Wednesday when an 18 year old who has never wrestled for the company delivered a poison rana in the ring and a regular rana from the apron to the floor, as well as taking a top rope powerbomb and the JML driver.

I don't think the house style will be affected much.

"Blind moves backward into the turnbuckle" miiiiiight not mean Irish whips. It's pretty vague. I'm guessing that it just means buckle bombs and throwing someone head-first into the corner as a shoulder spot. 

Moxley clearly balked at the WWE concept of "no piledrivers" if that came up

Edited by Curt McGirt

I don't listen to his podcast but apparently Zarian has 'confirmation' that both All in and All Out will be PPVs on Bleacher Report.  If true,  I feel that's a huge mistake.  The biggest show in the history of the company should not be on fucking Bleacher Report.  They should have attempted to get it on Max at least or if that's not possible then do a Live special on TNT.  The event needs eyeballs.  B/R has been mostly reliable for me but others have had major issues and it's just a garbage app all around.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

B/R has been mostly reliable for me but others have had major issues and it's just a garbage app all around.

In its earlier days, Bleacher Report used to be a sports website written by fans around the world (hence the name). My job was to edit the articles to make them sound professional. So to me, it's kinda crazy that you can now watch sports (including wrestling!) on Bleacher Report.

• Like 3

Originally I thought it should be a TV special, especially with how they announced All In with promoting 100 years of WB. But now that I think about it - a 4 hour live show on cable probably isn’t feasible.

If the infrastructure isn’t there to support live PPVs, then this is the best option obviously. Even if they do bundle both PPVs together since they’re on back to back weekends, for me personally, I’ll have to pick which one I watch live (All In obviously). I’m guessing a $75 price point for both in a bundle.

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't listen to his podcast but apparently Zarian has 'confirmation' that both All in and All Out will be PPVs on Bleacher Report.  If true,  I feel that's a huge mistake.  The biggest show in the history of the company should not be on fucking Bleacher Report.  They should have attempted to get it on Max at least or if that's not possible then do a Live special on TNT.  The event needs eyeballs.  B/R has been mostly reliable for me but others have had major issues and it's just a garbage app all around.

According to the report Max at the moment doesn't have the capacity to broadcast it.

I rather WBD work out the kinks before putting anything AEW live on their app.

Max crashed during Europhia’s season opener (or finale?) and House of the Dragon. Same thing happened on HBO Go with the finale for Game of Thrones. Their shit is just bad when it comes to high demand things live streaming.

Not that AEW is anywhere close in popularity with any of those I mentioned, but it’d still be 5 or 6 digit numbers of people trying to watch something live on the app. I doubt the men and women’s national soccer teams get that when their air live on Max (maybe I’m wrong tho?)

• Like 2

Give folks from North America the $20 price that Europe gets for ppv's so they're not dropping $100 in two weeks for two shows (and make Europeans pay the full amount since it's prime time their time). I know I'd gladly watch a twenty dollar Sunday afternoon pay per view. 

8 minutes ago, Dog said:

If they're both on PPV, All Out is gonna have, like, 25 buys.

Not necessarily. Do some sort of bundled special package. Like WrestleMania Nights 1 and 2 or some such. The All In/All Out special.

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

According to the report Max at the moment doesn't have the capacity to broadcast it.

I don't believe that for a second.  I just don't.  They broadcast live soccer games.  

And before anyone says it, I really don't think AEW would have THAT many more people watching than the U.S. Men's National Team.  It's probably close enough to where the difference is whatever.  

Does anyone think Bleacher Report is the best way for AEW to broadcast their biggest event they've ever held?  

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 1

I’ve ordered every ppv through bleacher report. The only time I ever had a problem was full gear a couple years ago. I went to the new japan show head to head so I tried watching the ppv the next day, and you couldn’t just start it from the beginning. It was on some playback loop so if you turned it on at a random time, it would be at a random part of the ppv. Didn’t get fixed until the following day. 

Other than that every live broadcast has been great, and now I can access the entire library of ppvs whenever I like. 

Remember when wwe network went to peacock and for the entire summer they were missing basic features like fast forward and rewind, and they said those would be available in a few months. 

If max is dealing with similar things and they are actively trying to fix them, that’s fine with me. I still believe ultimately aew ppvs end up on max and it will be part of the next tv deal and it will be beneficial to max, aew, and the fans. 

• Like 1

https://twitter.com/marcraimondi/status/1680408034705817601

AEW's Jon Moxley won his division in a jiu-jitsu tournament Saturday in Ohio. Moxley took home gold in the men's beginner 30-years-old-and-up no-gi division at super heavyweight (225 to 249.9 lbs.). Tournament was the NAGA Cincinnati Grappling Championship.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

hopefully we can get some Cincinnati Grappling Championship matches with Moxley on AEW TV.. is it possible to blade while doing jiu-jitsu

A dude got powerbombed through a table a couple weeks ago so anything is possible.

https://fansidedmma.com/posts/athlete-channels-wwe-throws-opponent-through-table-bjj-tournament-video-01h4e69qjj0g

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Some really nice tag and trios action on last week's Collision and Rampage! The FTR-BCG was off the charts awesome! By the end I was ready to believe every pinfall attempt. Juice actually coming through in the end was a big surprise. I was pretty sure White would take it home, if anyone would. 2 out of 3 falls for the belts? Let me mix my Gin and Tonics for this one and let's go!!!

Huge win for Dark Order, too bad it is unlikely to lead to anything bigger for them, but I'm willing to see this plays out.

Trent Barretta and Matt Sydal make a wonderful team. Large William Morrisey and Brian Cage are terrific juggernauts. I enjoyed the shit out of this match and like I've said before, Sydal means absolutely nothing to AEW or ROH at this point and yet, every time I get to see him in the ring, it simply amazing. I don't know what it is about him? Him trying like 7 different moves on Cage, getting overpowered each time, but just keeping on trying until something worked was awesome!

Punk vs Joe had the build and the match was decently structured and Starks going to the finals earlier put the end result in doubt in a very effective way. I have never seen any of the earlier matches between the two, only read about them. Punk winning with a lucky wrestling move instead of a knock out was a good way to sell the fact that he was indeed lucky, not necessarily better on this night. I just see no way that this match could live up to the original three? I'm not sure if it was supposed to, either? Maybe there will be a final chapter between the two, yet?

There's still another Rampage and Dynamite to go before I get to this week's Collision, but those comments can go to this week's thread if it's still open when I get there.

Edited by Shartnado
Some additions and clarifications
  • Like 3