DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 6/7/2023

The Natural

Matches include Orange Cassidy vs. Swerve Strickland for Cassidy's AEW International Championship, Jay White vs. Ricky Starks and Jon Moxley/Claudio Castagnoli/Wheeler Yuta vs. Rocky Romero/Trent/Chuck Taylor. Tony Khan also announces the main event of the first Collision show.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Another really sneaky-strong lineup this week.

I'm not very high on Swerve, but I think he can match up nicely with Orange. I wouldn't be shocked if Swerve actually took the title here.

I think White needs to go over Starks. Ricky is really growing on me, but I think they can do big things with White in the more immediate future.

We've had a lot of Yano talk in the Forbidden Door thread. Isn't he in Chaos with Romero and company? Doesn't he have a win over Mox? I hope it's at least mentioned tonight.

Spoiler

Preview Image in Spoiler because it's big.

• Cassidy vs Strickland feels emotionally compelling. I know some of you felt strongly about, let's say, Kenny Omega vs Adam Cole, but even that was well over a year ago at this point. The other AEW matches on that level over the last year or two would probably be some of Eddie's stuff (vs Miro, vs Claudio, even though he lost both) or Mark Brisco vs Samoa Joe. Maybe Hayter vs Storm 1. Basically, what I'm saying is that in 2023, you don't have a lot of matches which you can honestly and truly emotionally invest in. I don't want Orange Cassidy to lose the International Title. I don't want his run to end. It feels like here the deck is stacked against him, both from a kayfabe level and from a real life level. It feels like Swerve's moment. Swerve feels like the hot hand. It feels like if Swerve loses here, then he loses momentum he needs to keep. But I don't want Cassidy to lose.
  • Starks vs White feels like it needs to be the debut of another BCG guy and part of the build to Forbidden Door. I thing they really flubbed Starks after the Jericho win. They should have given him a couple of short feuds that he could win clearly in while having White debut against people he could mow through. It's a huge roster. Make use of it.
  • BCC vs Chaos should be more of that build. They have to pull together a card fairly quickly. I wouldn't mind seeing some more Rocky vs Yuta if they go that route. I'm not all that interested in Danielson vs Okada, but if there's a lot of BCC involvement in the weeks leading up to it to muddy up the pure dream match feel, that makes me more interested. 
  • Does Jungle Boy turn? Last week kind of felt like the moment, when he saved him with a chair. Jungle Boy joining LFI in the lead up to Collision would be a hot angle but I get the sense Jungle Boy is one of those guys who doesn't listen to people like Punk. If it's a straight match, it should be fun. HOOK did ok vs Page in their streetfight. 
  • Who MJF is or isn't wrestling at the PPV (and Sanada if he is or isn't) is interesting.
  • Stat vs Anna Jay feels fresh. I think the match vs Nyla was not a huge success and I'm not sure this is going to be better. Probably should have rushed Emi in there?
  • I imagine they do something with Punk and FTR for the opening of Collision. Punk/FTR vs Bullet Club Gold, for instance, though that leaves Starks on the table.
  • Like 4

It definitely feels like it’s Swerve’s time to step up to the next level. But, at the same time, he still has the issue with Keith Lee & Dustin outstanding, which feels like the sort of thing that should be tied off before he moves onward and upward.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Log said:

Another really sneaky-strong lineup this week.

I'm not very high on Swerve, but I think he can match up nicely with Orange. I wouldn't be shocked if Swerve actually took the title here.

I think White needs to go over Starks. Ricky is really growing on me, but I think they can do big things with White in the more immediate future.

We've had a lot of Yano talk in the Forbidden Door thread. Isn't he in Chaos with Romero and company? Doesn't he have a win over Mox? I hope it's at least mentioned tonight.

I think Swerve wins. Hope there's a different swerve.

Jay White can be hit and miss. Having said that, White needs to beat Ricky Starks and I'm a fan of both.

Yes, Yano is CHAOS with Kazuchika Okada/Tomohiro Ishii/Orange Cassidy/Best Friends/Kris Statlander. Yes, Yano beat Jon Moxley. You need to watch that from G1 Climax 2019 and this but it's NSFW:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C5YxZaZBec4&pp=ygUYdG9ydSB5YW5vIHZzIGpvbiBtb3hsZXkg

Hope that helps, mate.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Nice looking lineup, shame it's going up against the NBA Finals.

I expect Swerve/OC to be a MOTYC. It feels like it could go either way. Even though Swerve hasn't done a lot since the tag title run, he's the kind of guy AEW could heat up very quickly with some showcase matches. Definitely a good fit for a workhorse title. On the other hand, I could see it being OC's last hurrah with the belt before some one else moves in on him (Takeshita, maybe Miro for the new show).

Jay/Ricky should be good but I expect a screwy finish with a 3rd member for BCG debuting (El Phantasmo?).

• Like 2

As much as I love the Orange run, Swerve winning would be a good culmination to it and a solid enough worker to transition to (my bitching about his style aside). If they do it though, they need to have Lee come out with blood in his eyes ready to take that title ASAP. Matt makes a great point about emotional investment btw, I don't think I've felt that close to an angle since King was shooting his shots either. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Casey said:

Wow, that section in MJF's promo about Adam Cole's body is just straight up ripped from this site huh?

I don't think we get credit for shit that gets spouted on the regular for your garden-variety Cornette-loving reply guy from all over the internet. 

• Like 1

I thought they might have OC actually drop the belt as they were really putting over how much wear and tear his matches have been taking on him.

As someone who is indifferent to Adam Cole and as much as MJF's shit talking was just repeating talking points from all over the internet, that segment was great and actually has me looking forward to the match.

The tag match being no dq was kind of whatever, but Vance got quite the gusher.

• Like 2

I know we shouldn't turn every good card into a Wednesday vs Saturday thing because Tony's not going to sabotage his new show over other people's beef, but next week's pre-Collision Dynamite is hilariously loaded. Like "Tony's trying to prove a point because WWE's on his night" loaded. Lmao. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Nice looking lineup, shame it's going up against the NBA Finals.

I expect Swerve/OC to be a MOTYC. It feels like it could go either way. Even though Swerve hasn't done a lot since the tag title run, he's the kind of guy AEW could heat up very quickly with some showcase matches. Definitely a good fit for a workhorse title. On the other hand, I could see it being OC's last hurrah with the belt before some one else moves in on him (Takeshita, maybe Miro for the new show).

Jay/Ricky should be good but I expect a screwy finish with a 3rd member for BCG debuting (El Phantasmo?).

Imagine waiting an entire show for El Phantasmo, like I did, and getting the Gunns instead. 

Otherwise, this was a solid show. I really enjoyed Chaos vs. BCC. 

OC/Swerve really felt like Swerve was going to win the title. At this point, I have no idea who dethrones Orange. 

I'm so glad Statlander is back and I liked her match with Anna. Matt Menard was great as Anna's corner man in his David Puddy 8-Ball jacket. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Semi-unrelated to Dynamite, but Brody King is taunting Bald FTR on Twitter, saying CMFTR are "too scared to face the real smoke".

Inject House of Black versus CMFTR into my motherfucking veins.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Imagine waiting an entire show for El Phantasmo, like I did, and getting the Gunns instead. 

Think of poor Billy Gunn and his wife who twice spent nine months hoping for something nice and got the Gunn’s. 

Great show and no one has mentioned the BCC/Chaos match which I really dug. Strong stuff too to bottom. 

I don’t think the announcers mentioned it, but Orange pulled the tights to win. He may be getting desperate to hold on to his title. 

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Semi-unrelated to Dynamite, but Brody King is taunting Bald FTR on Twitter, saying CMFTR are "too scared to face the real smoke".

Inject House of Black versus CMFTR into my motherfucking veins.

Punk and King seem to be buddies. I could see them wanting to work together. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Log said:

I don’t think the announcers mentioned it, but Orange pulled the tights to win. He may be getting desperate to hold on to his title.

They did, but super quickly. Something like “he’s got the tights too”

17 minutes ago, Log said:

Punk and King seem to be buddies. I could see them wanting to work together. 

Punk, Brody, and Danhausen as running buddies, something I never would have thought I’d say a couple years ago 

Edited by elizium
  • Like 2

I really enjoyed BCC vs. Chaos. I'd like to see some involvement from Yano prior to Danielson/Okada. Danielson getting frustrated with Yano's antics would be so much fun. 

The announcers did bring up OC pulling Swerve's tights, but @Elizium pointed out, it was super quick. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, elizium said:

Punk, Brody, and Danhausen as running buddies, something I never would have thought I’d say a couple years ago 

Brody & Danhausen are straight edge so it kind of makes sense tbh.

I'm watching the Fightful post-show and I didn't realize: 1) the NBA finals were tonight and 2) it involves the Denver Nuggets (they were in Colorado tonight). Yiiiiikes.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I really enjoyed BCC vs. Chaos. I'd like to see some involvement from Yano prior to Danielson/Okada. Danielson getting frustrated with Yano's antics would be so much fun. 

The announcers did bring up OC pulling Swerve's tights, but @Elizium pointed out, it was super quick. 

Swerve did the same thing to OC just prior so it was him getting his just deserts.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Brody & Danhausen are straight edge so it kind of makes sense tbh.

I'm watching the Fightful post-show and I didn't realize: 1) the NBA finals were tonight and 2) it involves the Denver Nuggets (they were in Colorado tonight). Yiiiiikes.

They’re all into comics and have similar music tastes too. It’s not surprising, but is just bizarre to think about happening 

• Like 1

Glad to see the Orange run continue, I was thinking going in that Swerve would win it. Excalibur doing the "we have a new champion!" bit when the Swerve stomp hit lessened my worry in that moment. The commentary definitely pointed out the tights pulling, noting that Swerve had tried it twice before so that's why it made sense for Orange to pull it back on him. Looking forward to the 8 man coming out of this, lots of upcoming trios bouts as well. 

MJF/Cole seg was very shoot internet talking points but ended up pretty good and had me interested in the match. Surprised they're going the "title eliminator" route with it next week, rather than just making it but I wasn't sure they'd run that match at Forbidden Door.

Texas Tornado match was absolutely awesome. Loved Hook's super TBone from the apron through the tables. Thought this did a great job putting over JungleHook as badass babyfaces. 

Solid main event with the expected outcome, just a matter of who would interfere.  Bullet Club GUNN!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really good show tonight. Orange Cassidy continues to be impressive as hell. I thought tonight for sure he was losing and yet he continues to reign. 

BCC vs. CHAOS was a good six man. Danielson was good on commentary putting over how they train for everything and anything. 

MJF was great tonight. I was a little let down that it led to Adam Cole coming out. I was hoping someone from NJPW would show up considering how he keeps saying no one in this company is on his level. But it turned it self around and was good. My only complaint with Cole is did he have to smirk the whole time MJF was running him down. But yeah that body comment had to be lifted straight from someplace like here or twitter. Either way it got me excited to see what they can come up with for a match which apparently is next week.

Good announcement from Tony Khan. CM Punk and FTR vs. BC Gold/Samoa Joe should be a damn good match.

The Texas Tornado match was awesome. Didn't expect that much blood from a chain shot, but it was fun none the less. I hope they keep Hook/Jungle Boy paired up. 

Satlander vs. Anna Jay was good. Matt Menard was pretty funny with his taunts from ringside.

Jay White vs. Ricky Starks was pretty good and went the way I expected it to up until the run in. I wanted to see someone from Bullet Club in Japan. Everyone was thinking El Phantasmo. But I guess the Gunns worked too. I mean Bullet Club...Gunn Club...ehhh. 

Overall a really good show tonight.

• Like 1