DVDVR Message Board

June 2023 Wrestling Discussion

26 minutes ago, Casey said:

maybe @RIPPA can help me out, maybe someone else can find it - I used to have a DVDVR link for a list in the website (not the board) that a had a shitload of women’s matches on it. But now I can’t find it? I’m pretty positive it was from here anyway. It had YouTube videos embedded and everything.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/1001_ladies/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, L_W_P said:

I wonder if Reigns had been out longer and didn't come back until his WWE Title win, 500-odd days ago, if they still would have held off on Cody.

I feel like Roman getting to 1000+ days as champion (and potentially going past everyone bar Bruno & Backland) is something they really want to have happen... eeeeven though he would be the UNIVERSAL champion for 1000+ days, NOT WWE champion and to merge the history of the titles is going to be clunky/ugly AF* and they clearly didn't plan on having such a historic run otherwise Roman would have won the WWE Title to start with.

This is why having two world champions is dumb.

I think part of why they did it that way (him getting the Universal title first) is Raw had a better roster when he returned and Smackdown had basically just Bray and Strowman as their main guys. So giving him that belt made sense, because he’s obviously viewed as a bigger star than both of them, and he’s someone FOX wanted on their show.

And to me it makes no difference which one he’s hit 1,000 days with. Either way he’s been heavyweight champion for that amount of time, and his belt has been presented as the main one (or two after he beat Brock). I think it’s just something silly that the bookers did so they can try to claim he’s better than Cena, Austin, Rock, and Hogan. Personally I’d only take him over one of those four. 

2 hours ago, L_W_P said:

All absolutely true.

The issue they will have is ret-conning the history of the unified title so that Roman's name can go up with Hogan's, Backlund's & Sammartino's.

Unless he holds this unified title for another 1000 days (or they merge the history & try to delete the likes of McIntyre, Lashley, Big E from history) there will always be an asterisk next to his reign.

As @AxB pointed out there’s an asterisk by all of them. None of the title reigns are based on anything but the bookers choice. So to put Roman up with the other names will be done as it’s still under the same corporate umbrella. I could see if he’d had 1,000 days as ECW champion working under Heyman that they’d not count that since it was a separate company but this has all been WWWF/WWF/WWE history.

6 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Can't recall Cody ever hitting one...

I know he definitely pays his air bill though.

He actually used to do one during his Dashing days, but I can't find any gifs and can't be arsed to dig through matches to find it, but it looked... odd.

15 hours ago, L_W_P said:

This is why having two world champions is dumb.

There are a lot of reasons why have two world champions is dumb lol.

8 hours ago, L_W_P said:

All absolutely true.

The issue they will have is ret-conning the history of the unified title so that Roman's name can go up with Hogan's, Backlund's & Sammartino's.

Unless he holds this unified title for another 1000 days (or they merge the history & try to delete the likes of McIntyre, Lashley, Big E from history) there will always be an asterisk next to his reign.

No ret-con necessary. WWE has always treated all main roster World Titles as equals. The WHC that started with Triple H = The WWE Title that started with Buddy Rodgers = The Universal Title that started with Finn = The new WHT that started with Seth. That are all equal and interchangeable. 1,000 days with any of them go up on the longest World Title Reigns list. They may shift around acronyms and wording on the physical belts, but it's all kind of irrelevant. Because the qualifier is always "world title" and they consider all of them "world titles".

Also it won't matter what title it is when he beats Bruno. Been saying it for a year plus now, strap in. I'm of the opinion they have already pre determined that outside of injury he is breaking the all time record. Which takes us to the end of May in 2028.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, LF2 said:

there’s an asterisk by all of them. None of the title reigns are based on anything but the bookers choice.

Jesus wept. The "asterisk" is next to PRO-WRESTLING. Absolutely everything falls under that asterisk. Punches, angles, promos, title reigns don't get their own, separate asterisk. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, The Natural said:

What about Obelisk?

😉.

WWE should put the big title on a menhir for a thousand days. See who can have the best WRESTLEMANIA MOMENT with it.

Edited by SirSmUgly
  • Haha 1

Looking at the Reddit blackout, the current state of Twitter, Discord data breaches, the continuing removal of features and general degradation of the "big internet", the inevitable future of more corporate-leaning internet law...

I'm glad I make the majority of my wrestling-related posts here. I'm very thankful that I have a good old Message Board-Ass Message Board to care about my thing on. If you're one of the hundreds of lurkers that's constantly present on these boards, particularly if you're a SquaredCircle regular who's finally getting old enough to know your shit +  pick a good username/avatar combination + talk with the big kids about all the weird stuff you've been watching, now is the time. Click the button and jump in the pool.

• Like 17

So, since the Old School Questions Thread was closed, I wasn't sure where to post this, but...

I was watching King of the Ring 96' this week and came to the main event - Shawn Michaels vs. The British Bulldog - for the WWE Championship. I won't go into the storyline, but Mr. Perfect was advertised to be the Special Guest Referee. The drama comes from not knowing whether he'd call it down the middle. 

But then, before the match starts, Perfect is declared the "outside the ring" referee by President Monsoon.

My question is - does anyone know why they changed things around? Was Perfect not cleared to be the referee because Wisconsin was one of those places where the athletic commission was "real"? Did it have to do with his Lloyds of London policy? 

Obviously there are way worse "bait and switch" things in wrestling history, but this one just didn't seem to have served any purpose at all, especially as Hennig isn't really involved in the match in any major way aside from not counting out Shawn Michaels at one point. 

17 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Sorry this is a bit non-wrestling related but what is the "reddit blackout"?   What's going on over there? 

Reddit is imposing a pretty ridiculous fee structure for API access which is going to eliminate 3rd party clients and admin tools that a lot of people use to access/manage the site.  So a bunch of subreddits are going private for 48 hours in protest.

• Like 1

Just now, Zimbra said:

Reddit is imposing a pretty ridiculous fee structure for API access which is going to eliminate 3rd party clients and admin tools that a lot of people use to access/manage the site.  So a bunch of subreddits are going private for 48 hours in protest.

Not just 48 hours. Many, included r/sc are locking up indefinitely until Reddit reverses course or devises something more fair and inclusive. My main subs are sc, DIY, and woodworking and those are all staying down.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Not exactly the same scenario, but they moved Ali from being the ref at Mania 1 to being the outside ref and Patterson was the ref (IIRC).

I think that was mainly b/c Ali was starting to show some cognitive decline at that point and Vince wanted to make sure nothing went wrong. There was already one unknown variable in the ring in Mr. T so he didn't want to add another. They still wanted Ali attached to the main so they just stuck him outside and let Patterson be the main ref. Vince wanted Patterson in there to direct traffic if T forgot spots or if Piper/Orndorff really did get into it with T.

• Like 6

speaking of guest referees, i don't recall one ever being appointed and just flat out saying "i am going to make this SO one-sided". usually they go the "i'm gonna call it right down the middle, daddy!" route, or just don't mention it. Can anybody point me to a scenario that had this guest referee blatantly telling the wresters/fans/cameras that he's going to be biased?

When they had the phone vote for the ref in hennig v Lawler match in Memphis, I seem to recall Lance and Dave saying Curts ref, I think it was Larry the Axe, would be biased so fans needed to vote for Jackie Fargo.