DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/10/2023

Matt D

I like Orange Cassidy’s low effort version of the Road Warrior Animal “You tell ‘em Hawk!”

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I think the conversation of specific wrestling styles in terms of how an individuals move or operate in a match is a fair and potentially enlightening one. @Niners Fan in CT using the term “goofiness” to describe Mox is both commonly held (on Reddit and other sites joking about all the bleeding and his overall swagger) and ironic as @just drewpointed out (be it with questions verbiage that some of us learned from and talked about), given Omega’s criticism that some would label as “goofy” (Phil on Segunda Caida referenced the type of wrestling style as “2010s style CrossFit wrestling” in 2017 and has had pushback of silliness elsewhere). Neither are wrong and just sharing opinions.

I like the idea of this discussion in preferred styles of wrestling beyond singular genre terms. What makes an Omega match different? What makes a Mox match different? How do they blend with others that have their own personal identities in their movements and match structure beyond the booking of character and plot? Assuming wrestlers are in an environment that allows them to not wrestle a singular style where the promotion is the style.
Example: How are Komander, Hijo Del Vikingo, and Rey Fenix matches different? We see them all described as “lucha” style but beyond the genre, what specifically defines their matches. 

I like both and find that as one of the fun things about AEW. On the same show I can see a tense arm bar, a spectacular flip, a stooging heel, a bloody brawl, and a sprinted sequence all in different matches done in different ways from the previous weeks.

I usually shy away when discussions get too negative so my online presence can be in specific areas. Usually here is good but can lead to a Stone Cold Stunner and Johnny Cash sighting like the other day.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, just drew said:

I kid, I kid. My problem with Omega has zero to do with his look. That dude looks the part. No argument there. And Kenny's work doesn't offend me nearly as much as the Jacksons'. Stylistically, I just have trouble taking him seriously against a guy who loves pure, unadulterated mayhem as much as Mox. Like, I wouldn't stick a male figure skater on a hockey team, no matter how technically proficient the figure skater is. Both activities take place on ice, but that doesn't make them the same activity. 

I think, at it's core, that's the issue I have. I hate being asked to view wrestling purely as performance art. As Eddie Kingston said, "kayfabe is dead, but that doesn't mean we have to piss on it's grave..."

I gotta disagree here with the conclusion you've come to about this Mox/Omega pairing. Because your analogy, while a little off, is also the story they've been telling with the on again off again rivalry of Mox and Omega. Omega was portrayed as the athletic, technically skilled wrestler who was never pushed to the kind of violence that Moxley brings. And every time they've wrestled, Omega has had to "go there." And I think every time he's given it his best shot.

I actually think Moxley vs. Omega is the most compelling in ring storytelling that Omega has had since AEW started, in part because it's about whether or not he can survive outside of his comfort zone. And I think he's done well in every type of match they've done.

At the very least he does change the way he fights. The layouts feel different than his regular matches.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

See I disagree based on what either guy actually does out there. For all the mayhem that his gimmick and persona may entail, Mox doesn’t really lay his shit in at all. His stomps and punches look weak as shit. Compare that to the V trigger that looks like a shotgun blast.

See also: Adrian Street. Pretty sure if that guy called 82-year-old Adrian street "twinkletoes," he'd be missing an eye tomorrow.

EDIT: Shit, Johnny B. Badd was a Golden Gloves boxer. But yeah, he's not credible in a fight somehow. Get the fuck outta here.

Edited by Dog
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I gotta disagree here with the conclusion you've come to about this Mox/Omega pairing. Because your analogy, while a little off, is also the story they've been telling with the on again off again rivalry of Mox and Omega. Omega was portrayed as the athletic, technically skilled wrestler who was never pushed to the kind of violence that Moxley brings. And every time they've wrestled, Omega has had to "go there." And I think every time he's given it his best shot.

I actually think Moxley vs. Omega is the most compelling in ring storytelling that Omega has had since AEW started, in part because it's about whether or not he can survive outside of his comfort zone. And I think he's done well in every type of match they've done.

At the very least he does change the way he fights. The layouts feel different than his regular matches.

A very interesting use of AEW’s type of storytelling where a running narrative can be dipped back into as time passes. One of the company’s oldest feuds that can be reasonably revisited as the characters evolve over the years. 

You pointing this out has been the spark that has swayed me into loving BCC vs The Elite. Thanks bud!!!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

That’s a fair point. I don’t see it all the time but I might not be looking for it.

• Like 4

Interesting that Anna Jay vs. Julia Hart is heel vs. heel but in terms of how the match is worked, they made the decision to put Julia in the face role. I wonder why. It's just weird seeing the person from the spooky powers stable getting beaten down for a big chunk of the match.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Being that the de facto face of Collision is one of the people who contemporary Jim Ross sounds most passionate about when he calls their stuff, I’d imagine he’s getting the bump to Saturday nights.

Who is this now? I had no idea they had a new show coming up, matter of fact.

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Who is this now? I had no idea they had a new show coming up, matter of fact.

I believe he's referring to Punk. The word on the street is the new show will be on Satudays and there will be a soft brand split, so Punk and the Bucks aren't around one another.

I dunno... was anyone else taken out of the match as soon as the broken glass came into play? I mean they got me back after a few minutes, but following Cardona's documented issues with glass as a prop (still pulling broken shards out of his body months later) you'd think they might shy away from it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I dunno... was anyone else taken out of the match as soon as the broken glass came into play? I mean they got me back after a few minutes, but following Cardona's documented issues with glass as a prop (still pulling broken shards out of his body months later) you'd think they might shy away from it.

You know, broken glass always bothers me only because I start thinking about the cleanup. Like instead of watching the match I'm thinking about whether they're just going to throw away that canvas, or if they reuse it next week will someone get a glass splinter. My family has, for whatever reason, broken a lot of glasses in my kitchen, and I always end up with a piece in my foot.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

I cringed, I'm not a fan of the deathmatch style especially when it involves glass, for the reason you mentioned (and being unpredictable in general). The fact that it mostly seemed to be crushed/ground down helped me but I would be happy to not have that again.

• Like 2

OMG this show! Everything ruled, but I liked the opener and the main event best! This was one of the first singles matches where Rey Fenix actually lived up to all the hype he receives! Claudio was inhuman!

Miro!

OC is tired. He's gotta be running out of steam soon. He has never tried this much for this long ever before!

I always do this, but I  wish there would have been more time between Buddy Matthews and Bandido against each other in that 6-man!

Yeah, the main event. That was crazy! Jeez! 5-6 spots with the barbed wire chair were just an appetizer? I was just saying that was pretty brave move on Callis' part and of course there was a bigger reason for it. Well, at least he didn't stab Kenny twice. I do wonder where this is going with him, though!

And guys, there's a PPV coming too, pretty soon!

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

The ideal Dealers Choice rule for the House Rules match? “the rules only apply to the House of Black and not to us”

I really hope the House Rules matches also apply to the HoB in singles competition as well going forward. Just a nice little quirk.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

The ideal Dealers Choice rule for the House Rules match? “the rules only apply to the House of Black and not to us”

"I get to bring a chainsaw"

Seriously, though, I don't understand these rules.  At first, I thought "dealer's choice" meant the opponent chooses whether it's no dq or not.  But now it's...pick your own stip? 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

"I get to bring a chainsaw"

Seriously, though, I don't understand these rules.  At first, I thought "dealer's choice" meant the opponent chooses whether it's no dq or not.  But now it's...pick your own stip? 

I suppose you could always use Dealers Choice to invalidate one of the House Rules

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I don't have strong feelings either way on the glass, but I think the idea was to call back to when Mox ddt'd Kenny through a glass table in one of their previous matches. Excalibur may have mentioned that, but I'm not sure.

• Like 1

I don't understand why it's called Dealer's Choice, if the House is the one dealing the rules, but the opponents get to pick.

However, I will say that at least their special lighting doesn't take away from the match. They're not wrestling in Mountain Dew Black Lights and shit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Interesting that Anna Jay vs. Julia Hart is heel vs. heel but in terms of how the match is worked, they made the decision to put Julia in the face role. I wonder why. It's just weird seeing the person from the spooky powers stable getting beaten down for a big chunk of the match.

I feel like Julia has a history of getting more of a face reaction. I thought the match was pretty even though and both women kept their heel essence. Equally vicious and underhanded with each other.

The match wasn't bad to me, but the hiccups seemed more memorable than the good. Julia's failed kickout after the gory bomb on the chairs (that was a 3 count 😆). The superplex didnt land on the chairs and considering that was part of the finish I'll remember that the most unfortunately. 

What exactly is Anna Jay's character? They keep booking her in these hard-core match situations but I don't feel that's a real element of her character. Add that to the fact that she loses most of those matches and/or something goes wrong... I'm missing what the end game could possibly be here.

• Like 1

They could have always used real glass too, we don't know. I just presumed sugar glass would be a standard for a bigger fed and TV production. It's kinda funny that the sugar glass is more dangerous along with the fake barbed wire being said to hurt more than the real barbed wire, haha. 

Christian showing up on the Boy Perry Jack Jungle segment was cool because they both put each other over. Unexpected.

• Like 2

Claudio Rey was so enjoyable. Claudio's new gear looks great, he's a star! These two mesh so well and their strengths complement each other and they both upped their game as a result, loved it!

Even with some flubbed lines, Christian had that crowd in the palm of his hand, bravo!

Dax on the other hand, I just don't dig his mic work at all. Way too much , "ok, ok, ok, just a minute now" or "alright, alright, alright, hold on now" as verbal crutches. And the constant use of "our best friend" around Mark Briscoe makes me want to see Mark brain him with a chair. 

Orange Cassidy is always the highlight of my wrestling week. The man is so far above everyone else in terms of storytelling, entertainment and character work. Garcia brought his working boots. His new entrance theme works well with his "freaky, uncomfortable dancing" as Taz would put it.

Love when Best Friends are given mic time to just be themselves, bummed that Chucky T is the designated pin in all their matches. Brody King is truly King-sized! Love the presentation with the darkened arena, feels more "fight club"-esque.

Mox - Omega is the top matchup in AEW. They can't have a bad match. Kenny's leg could have been badly injured in the cage collapse, scary stuff! With Callis out of the way, is the path to Kenny and Hangman reuniting now clear?

• Like 6

I was only half paying attention to the Julia Hart/Anna Jay match but I did notice that when Julia took her bump on the chairs they were all facing seat down - which suuuucks. Then when Anna moved them into the ring she made sure they were all seat up, and I said to my son "Oh she's definitely the one who's gonna take this bump."