DVDVR Message Board

AEW - April 2023

Dolfan in NYC

I don't really follow AEW that much and I'd only be getting cheap seats so would likely be watching screens more than anything, but I'm aiming to get a couple of tickets.

Even without familiarity with all the names (some for me, likely all for the wife unless Ospreay shows up or she remembers Jericho from 2001) it should be good for the spectacle, atmosphere and potentially being part of a little bit of pro wrestling history.

The only question mark is how big of a deal it's going to be. On paper it's their biggest show in their history so time to push the boat out but the proximity to All Out makes me fear WWE in Melbourne / time to keep the boat safe status. This fear may not be rational.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Salads said:

The only question mark is how big of a deal it's going to be. On paper it's their biggest show in their history so time to push the boat out but the proximity to All Out makes me fear WWE in Melbourne / time to keep the boat safe status. This fear may not be rational.

Your two points of reference are probably Forbidden Door and Summerslam 92. There will likely be a lot of creative dream/exhibition style matches. There will be one or two absolutely key/important things.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

I still think All In is going to be Forbidden Door 2.5 basically, but with more promotions than just New Japan.

That was my thought too. Put together a bunch of dream matches and then a few matches that have been built up for awhile. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I may have missed it, but was there any discussion here about MJF's tweet complaining about the fans being bloodthirsty and/or wanting to see dangerous spots? 

I didn’t see any here. Easy for him to say wrestling 8 matches a year and being as protected as Roman Reigns.

When I heard the discussion about it, it sounded like it was mostly in character, perhaps as a way to aggravate the smart fans. But that he was also bringing up good points (which is what the best heels do, after all). 

• Like 2

I got an All In tickets presale code from Ticketmaster for 11am (GMT) Tuesday. And then another one, from Fite, for 2 hours earlier.

• Like 3

@the natural TK need to move heaven and earth to resign Hangman Page. The rest are nice to have but not at all necessary to the long term viability of the company. 

Edited by just drew

40 minutes ago, just drew said:

@the natural TK need to move heaven and earth to resign Hangman Page. The rest are nice to have but not at all necessary to the long term viability of the company. 

I think he's a crummy wrestler, but generally a compelling character. That said, he's the sort of guy who would benefit from it being the 80s and being able to change territories every few years so he could run a similar act/angle in front of a new crowd. I think there's something that works with the audience about a guy whose biggest challenge isn't winning the big match but waking up the next morning and strapping on his boots to deal with what comes next, but that involves a level of booking that probably doesn't exist in 2023 and honestly probably never existed over the span of years instead of just months.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, AxB said:

I got an All In tickets presale code from Ticketmaster for 11am (GMT) Tuesday. And then another one, from Fite, for 2 hours earlier.

I was confused by this. It seemed to be saying you could use the Fite one to register between 9 and 11 and would then work when it opens at 11 but it wasn't clear

There's a 9am to 11am pre-sale for Fite subscribers, and then an 11am to 1pm pre-sale for Ticketmaster applications. So if I wake up too late for the early one, I don't miss out on the pre-sale sale.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Matt D said:

I think he's a crummy wrestler, but generally a compelling character. That said, he's the sort of guy who would benefit from it being the 80s and being able to change territories every few years so he could run a similar act/angle in front of a new crowd. I think there's something that works with the audience about a guy whose biggest challenge isn't winning the big match but waking up the next morning and strapping on his boots to deal with what comes next, but that involves a level of booking that probably doesn't exist in 2023 and honestly probably never existed over the span of years instead of just months.

So he is the modern Scott Casey (to keep the cowboy gimmick metaphor)?