DVDVR Message Board

April 2023 Wrestling Discussion

14 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I’ve been giving guest lectures to business majors at the university and one of the things I tell them is that they won’t meet too many successful executives who don’t work hard and spend more hours than them in the office.  I even brought two of my neighbors in for show and tell.  One held a management position with one of the three largest accounting firms in the world, the other ran a small local business that only employed a handful of people but was ridiculously profitable.  Both worked insanely hard.  I also had my wife come in so we could talk about how hard we had to work to advance in our corporate jobs when we were young and newly married.

I read a lot of business books, including biographies of successful execs and CEO’s.  Work ethic tends to be a common denominator.  I’d be surprised if Vince doesn’t outwork most people in the company, even at his age.

I finish up each talk asking the kids how successful they want to be on their careers.  I am apparently doing something right.  Several students have told me I scared them straight.

What's funny is, those types of talks probably set people on the path that works best for them. I grew up with a "I work to live, I don't live to work" mindset. As long as I make enough money to live an enjoyable comfortable life, which I do, I'm good not being someone that has to work crazy hours to reach a certain level. But you are right that to really reach that level it does take a lot of work, and the sooner people understand that the better if that is where they want to be in five or ten years.

• Like 2

Just now, Kevin Wilson said:

What's funny is, those types of talks probably set people on the path that works best for them. I grew up with a "I work to live, I don't live to work" mindset. As long as I make enough money to live an enjoyable comfortable life, which I do, I'm good not being someone that has to work crazy hours to reach a certain level. But you are right that to really reach that level it does take a lot of work, and the sooner people understand that the better if that is where they want to be in five or ten years.

True.  That’s the other side of the equation.  I probably put off a few people when I talk about the hours I worked in my early to mid-20’s.  People turn pale when I talk about the insane schedules I worked day after day, year after year when my kids were school age so I could keep on top of work and still make the ballgames and dance practices.  My job - and my profession, really - aren’t for the people who want more balance in their work lives.  Nothing wrong with that, but it’s definitely better to figure that out early.

I haven’t taken a poll, but I suspect even some of my peers wouldn’t want to be in my shoes.

12 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

If you're not born rich in America, the odds of making it out of the class you were born in are slim - anyone employed post-Reaganomics has gotten the shaft

Decline-Upward-Mobility.jpg

HFNnYrqruqvI_-Skg2C7ZYjdcXp-6EsuSBkSyHpS

Shhhhhh…don’t talk about that.  We need to be teaching kids that they should put in 60 hours a week and sacrifice everything for a company that will fire them at a moment’s notice if they have a down quarter.  Temporarily embarrassed millionaires and all that.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

% of people earning more than their parents graph

i was raised in a single parent household. we were poor. VERY poor. i've made more money than my mother since i was 17. Happy to be part of the minority, even if i'm still firmly in the lower middle class. But hell, i'm 40 and my house is paid off, so i'm happy.

and count me in with @Kevin Wilson in the "i work to live, not live to work" mindset. my free (read: non work) time is more valuable to me than any job could pay me. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I’ve been giving guest lectures to business majors at the university and one of the things I tell them is that they won’t meet too many successful executives who don’t work hard and spend more hours than them in the office.  I even brought two of my neighbors in for show and tell.  One held a management position with one of the three largest accounting firms in the world, the other ran a small local business that only employed a handful of people but was ridiculously profitable.  Both worked insanely hard.  I also had my wife come in so we could talk about how hard we had to work to advance in our corporate jobs when we were young and newly married.

I read a lot of business books, including biographies of successful execs and CEO’s.  Work ethic tends to be a common denominator.  I’d be surprised if Vince doesn’t outwork most people in the company, even at his age.

I finish up each talk asking the kids how successful they want to be on their careers.  I am apparently doing something right.  Several students have told me I scared them straight.

This is something I’ve always wondered. Is this a help or a hindrance? Would he be more productive if he actually took time off here and there?

On 4/26/2023 at 9:35 AM, JLowe said:

Honestly, even in the 1980s St. Marks wasn't really sketchy. Mostly head shops, vintage stores, a couple of record stores, some basement bars, and a lot of brownstones where famous people lived or used to live. Now, Alphabet City in the '80s was still rough and not someplace to be after dark.

St. Mark’s Place is where my friends and I all got our first pairs of Doc Marten’s in the early 90s before you could get them at fucking Journeys.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WholeFnMachine said:

St. Mark’s Place is where my friends and I all got our first pairs of Doc Marten’s in the early 90s before you could get them at fucking Journeys.

All of this talk of St. Marks and no one has brought up Itsuki Yamazaki's Restaurant Go. I've met many wrestling people there. Bull Nakano and Tiger Hattori many times. I took some of Wally Yamaguchi's friends there after a MSG show to hang with Wally and Bull. Madusa, Osamu Nishimura, Luna, Kaientai, LCO, Yamada and Toyota, Yoshitatsu, and others that I can't remember right now. Go closed 10 plus years ago due NYC rents. I've kept up with Itsuki and her husband and the various places they have worked at/run since then. I'm probably the only person on this board that played golf with Itsuki's husband.

I remember Sounds record shop with lots of promos, cut outs and used with those damn stickers on the covers. Picked up some good punk records from Venus. 20 years after that prog CDs and cheap reggae 45s from Kim's. I was sad when Grassroots basement bar closed recently. That was a go to meeting place in the no cell phone era. Like "where the hell is he? I'll just go to Grassroots and wait there".

• Like 3

030_sMANKIN_01001999_0011--1ddd846e006ef

First photo I've ever seen of Mick Foley wearing the WWF Championship. This was taken after winning the WWF Championship for the first time from the Rock on the 4th January 1999 RAW to a monster pop. Mick Foley was the first heel I ever liked. Foley's one of my all time favourites so it was great to have met him 2nd July 2003 as wrestlers very rarely came to Leeds.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, zendragon said:

This is something I’ve always wondered. Is this a help or a hindrance? Would he be more productive if he actually took time off here and there?

Almost everyone would be better at their job if they took time off from time to time. Leave,  relax,  do something you really enjoy,  then go back with more energy,  better ideas, and a better mindset.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've been watching a bunch of the Magnum TA/Mr Wrestling II vs Midnight Express feud and I know this isn't a novel observation but it is insane the degree to which MX and baby Cornette were nuclear heat machines.  At least one of them was always doing something to rile up the audience.  Absolutely masterful shit.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I've been watching a bunch of the Magnum TA/Mr Wrestling II vs Midnight Express feud and I know this isn't a novel observation but it is insane the degree to which MX and baby Cornette were nuclear heat machines.  At least one of them was always doing something to rile up the audience.  Absolutely masterful shit.

Cornette is one of the best talkers in wrestling history as far as I'm concerned. He knew just what to say to rile people up, and he had the meanness of a snotty teenager. 

• Like 3

Trenesha Biggers (a/k/a Rhaka Khan) has served pretty much everyone in WWE and TNA including Dwayne Johnson, The Bellas, The Miz, and I guess, the estate of Chris Benoit(?!?) with a $3 Billion lawsuit in Federal Court.

She alleges a wide conspiracy to kidnap her and her children among lots of other pretty insane things.  

She also currently has a bench warrant out for her arrest in Texas. . .  

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Must watch feature on the WWE Championship.

I've mentioned this before, but in a past life, I did some work in their warehouse - this doesn't even scratch the surface of what they've got belt-wise. I held one of the 80s tags in my hands while the contact did our paperwork (it was sitting on his desk and he fully gave permission) - and I damn near broke my ankle tripping over a milk crate of all things, which casually had the WCW US and Cruiser belts stuffed in them.

This was around 2005-2007, though, so they may not have this stuff anymore. I used to belong to a championship belt forum, and another user there shared that they had knowledge that WWE traded a lot of belts away over the years to try and get some of their stuff back from private collectors - for example, I think whoever had the Backlund WWWF belt was traded two ring-used Cena spinners, IIRC. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1