DVDVR Message Board

AEW DYNAMITE!- 3/15/2023!

DEAN

2 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

When was the last time anybody did a tuxedo match on television (or not on television)? Jeff showing up prepared in a full white tux and Orange pissing him off by showing up in a tie dye suit or something... Jeff loses and he's wearing TNA boxers...lots of material there...

Tuxedo T-Shirt

He still wants to be formal but he's here to party.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

When was the last time anybody did a tuxedo match on television (or not on television)? Jeff showing up prepared in a full white tux and Orange pissing him off by showing up in a tie dye suit or something... Jeff loses and he's wearing TNA boxers...lots of material there...

OC wears one of those tshirts that has a tuxedo print like he was getting married in a tacky Vegas wedding. We need a new gimmick match between these two until it’s a tuxedo in a cage with the cole miners glove on a pole match for the climax

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Whoever was saying maybe Stu Grayson would end up back in AEW.... you called it!

https://twitter.com/TonyKhan/status/1636545766058766342

I hate that Twitter stuff either works or doesn't (thanks, Tesla dude!)  But Stu was such a needed missing piece for Dark Order that I'm incredibly happy to see him back.  I'm so here for him and Uno to tear it up and unleash The Fatality on many a team.  And you know what, fuck it let's put some respect on that graphic.

Also wanted to point out Hangman alluded to The Elite on this weeks BTE.  He accidentally touched the photo of him with them, looked at it for a few seconds then turned it around.  It almost seems like a crutch to go back to this but his stuff with The Elite is one of my favorite angles they've done.  So yeah let's see how things go.

Oh, and I quickly found out that as much as I love Taya my wife has a HUGE crush on her.  So needless to say her signing with AEW was very exciting news.  If things work out like I'm hoping I can see Taya win the TBS title but it also depends on where things are with Statlander's recovery.  If not that then once this Outcast stuff is mercifully done I can see her going after Hayter.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 7

58 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Oh and while I'm not big on the Saraya stuff, her shouting out. "I am a miracle!" was a good bit.

Great shout there - there's a commonality with the QTV promo in that while most of it was bad, 'I am a miracle!' and 'Its Will's world, bitch' are both money as hell things to say. Like I said Wednesday, at least we have those for the hype packages/Road To...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, zendragon said:

OC wears one of those tshirts that has a tuxedo print like he was getting married in a tacky Vegas wedding. We need a new gimmick match between these two until it’s a tuxedo in a cage with the cole miners glove on a pole match for the climax

Dammit, it's going to be a Golden Globe on a pole match, isn't it?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Dammit, it's going to be a Golden Globe on a pole match, isn't it?

Not to be a pedant, but I'm surprised they've gotten away with using the actual name 'Golden Globe' on TV thus far - if it gets to that point, I kind of doubt they could promote it as such (though I assume this is why Megha makes the big bucks). 

On 3/16/2023 at 7:09 AM, Andrew POE! said:

Read the results and...I would give none of the wrestlers (including MJF) a World title at this point. Sammy Guevara is known for trying to beat Jeff Hardy to a wheelchair with stupid spots. Jungle Jack Perry is essentially midcard for life after his feud and promos with Christian. Darby Allin, while he has a following and fans actually like him, has lost too much to be effective (to me, if his TNT title reign was longer and lasted until AEW Revolution, I would have argued that would help his case). And we know my feelings about MJF so I won't go over that.

Claudio, Moxley, Hangman Page, Jericho, Danielson (if he ever comes back) and Omega are the main event/World title material.

Let me put this in my 1997 filter hold on a sec.

Yeah! Hunter, Mankind, The Rock, & Austin don't deserve the world title! Stupid mid carders! It should be for Taker, Bret, & Shawn only!

Listen it's not apples to apples but they are going with a youth thing on top. I'm not saying you're wrong with the guys you're listing for who you want on top (just as Bret Shawn & Taker aren't wrong). But you gotta try new things to get new people over and catch that spark. If the same thought process you have now existed in 1997 they wouldn't have tried any of the new guys that made the business go boom. Bret & Shawn on top hit their popularity ceiling. There's no way WWE goes to that next level sticking with them. And I'm willing to be that's the thought process here.

You can debate if they have the right guys slotted in or not. But they're shooting their shot. In my opinion Darby could win the title tomorrow and not a single person would complain. But I bet a bunch of people would complain if Mox or Jericho got the title back. Been there done that vibes. Wrestling fans always want new. And if you ride the horse a year too long that's wayyyyy worse than getting off the horse a year too soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

While you're right, I think there should be some debate as you alluded to about who's in the mix. They've committed to the pillars concept for better or worse, and JB and Sammy will be elevated to a degree just by virtue of being in this spot -- which is a good thing and I hope it works out well in the long run. But it's hard not to look at that picture and think that as far as young guys finally getting their big shot, they've both been leapfrogged by Starks in terms of who's where on the depth chart. Like, unless his next program is a multi-match feud with Christian, why isn't he in this world title mix?

Now if we do get those Stark-Christian matches, I'll say good job Tony, roll over, and let him rub my belly. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Let me put this in my 1997 filter hold on a sec.

Yeah! Hunter, Mankind, The Rock, & Austin don't deserve the world title! Stupid mid carders! It should be for Taker, Bret, & Shawn only!

Listen it's not apples to apples but they are going with a youth thing on top. I'm not saying you're wrong with the guys you're listing for who you want on top (just as Bret Shawn & Taker aren't wrong). But you gotta try new things to get new people over and catch that spark. If the same thought process you have now existed in 1997 they wouldn't have tried any of the new guys that made the business go boom. Bret & Shawn on top hit their popularity ceiling. There's no way WWE goes to that next level sticking with them. And I'm willing to be that's the thought process here.

You can debate if they have the right guys slotted in or not. But they're shooting their shot. In my opinion Darby could win the title tomorrow and not a single person would complain. But I bet a bunch of people would complain if Mox or Jericho got the title back. Been there done that vibes. Wrestling fans always want new. And if you ride the horse a year too long that's wayyyyy worse than getting off the horse a year too soon.

My problem is more the booking for all three of those guys doesn't lead me to believe they are world title material more so than that they are small or aren't big dudes. By that logic, Miro and Brian Cage should be in the World title picture because they are big dudes and look like main eventers....it's just that no one wants to see them.

I don't have a problem with Darby having a World title reign although I have a hard time buying it personally. I mean Tony Khan gave a World title reign to MJF so he can give it to Darby.

Edited by Andrew POE!

2 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

I don't have a problem with Darby having a World title reign although I have a hard time buying it personally. I mean Tony Khan gave a World title reign to MJF so he can give it to Darby.

MJF beating Sting in his retirement match to retain, and then Darby avenging Sting by winning the belt makes the most sense

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

My problem is more the booking for all three of those guys doesn't lead me to believe they are world title material more so than that they are small or aren't big dudes. By that logic, Miro and Brian Cage should be in the World title picture because they are big dudes and look like main eventers....it's just that no one wants to see them.

My comment wasn't related to size at all. Notice my MJF / Darby / Sammy / Jungleboy comps were Triple H, Mick Foely, Austin & The Rock. It's not about size or look as much as just having new fresh guys at the top. But you have to pick the right guys for that to work. And they have to get over. I'm on board with 3 out of the 4. But I don't see it for Sammy. I think Starks def belongs in that 4h spot. And all 5 of these potential options are up for debate. Some people thought Test was a better choice for the top of the card than Triple H back in the day for example.

My greater point tho was you can't stick to what you've been doing if you want to grow. What you're doing gets you to where you're at. Then you level off. You have to mix in some new faces and take a few gambles to see if it can get you beyond where you're at. Get to the next level. Sicking with Mox & Jericho as world champions here feels like a mistake and going with new acts on top is the right call. It's just which new acts are right for it. I know you're not an MJF fan. So maybe if it wasn't MJF & it was someone like Starks that got the MJF run you'd have a different opinion?

• Like 4

Personally I think part of why Tony keeps it the way he has is the numbers even out with Sammy as opposed to having only one heel with three baby faces chasing (if Starks got the fourth spot). Plus I think it’s safe to say Darby will have the most fan support in this scenario, but if Starks were in the mix it could be debatable.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

My comment wasn't related to size at all. Notice my MJF / Darby / Sammy / Jungleboy comps were Triple H, Mick Foely, Austin & The Rock. It's not about size or look as much as just having new fresh guys at the top. But you have to pick the right guys for that to work. And they have to get over. I'm on board with 3 out of the 4. But I don't see it for Sammy. I think Starks def belongs in that 4h spot. And all 5 of these potential options are up for debate. Some people thought Test was a better choice for the top of the card than Triple H back in the day for example.

My greater point tho was you can't stick to what you've been doing if you want to grow. What you're doing gets you to where you're at. Then you level off. You have to mix in some new faces and take a few gambles to see if it can get you beyond where you're at. Get to the next level. Sicking with Mox & Jericho as world champions here feels like a mistake and going with new acts on top is the right call. It's just which new acts are right for it. I know you're not an MJF fan. So maybe if it wasn't MJF & it was someone like Starks that got the MJF run you'd have a different opinion?

Not really with Starks as the World champion. Starks would annoy me with his "I'm totally not The Rock yet I'm virtually a photocopy of The Rock" promos. He's about as hot and cold with his matches as MJF is. The only difference between the two is Starks is a believable face but isn't ready just like MJF is a believable heel but also isn't ready.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Who ends MJF AEW World Championship reign? Eddie Kingston has cooled down. There's Adam Cole, really don't want him. Darby Allin but the bumps will put mileage on that body.

Semi-transitional Okada reign. Main event a US PPV with Okada/Omega V for the belt and see how big of a gate you can put up. Of course that match might not need a title on the line, but I want to put the idea out there.

• Like 1