DVDVR Message Board

AEW DYNAMITE!- 3/15/2023!

DEAN

As expected, OC/JJ was a perfect stretch of TV wrestling. Screw movez and whatever. Give me strutting, crowd brawls, Figure Fours, managerial interference, managerial interference backfiring, ref bumps and all of that all day long. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Turns out it's... Taya. Quite a twist, eh? Bet you didn't see that one coming!

GlJpZUk.jpg

To be honest, the way they used Nicole Matthews to Willy Wonka the crowd was my favourite thing in the show today. I also appreciated Orange wearing his Canadian tuxedo just for Winnipeg.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Red King said:

Whos the blonde woman in QTV?

I just found out that was Harley Cameron.  She's a perfectly fine wrestler.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You mean you can't look 19 forever? 

I know she got back into ring shape last year and didn't some stuff in Monterrey IIRC. Wonder if she will just do a match here or there.

It might have been the angle of the picture that it didn't look like the last time I remember seeing her (which I think was right or right after she left NXT/PC). (Not sure how many years ago that was now, off top of my head) 

10 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Turns out it's... Taya. Quite a twist, eh? Bet you didn't see that one coming!

GlJpZUk.jpg

To be honest, the way they used Nicole Matthews to Willy Wonka the crowd was my favourite thing in the show today. I also appreciated Orange wearing his Canadian tuxedo just for Winnipeg.

Britt and Jayme did as well.

• Like 3

This was one of my favorite dynamites ever. The four pillars thing at the beginning was exactly the kind of reset button I was hoping they would push to move the main event picture away from Danielson, Moxley and Jericho. Thought they did a great job of rehabbing Jungle Boy and even Sammy was getting solid babyface heat. All four guys cut great promos and I was left wanting to see all three of them challenge (and lose to) MJF (with of course Darby then winning the Eliminator tournament or the poker chip or whatever and finally getting the belt next autumn). 

Thought the Dark Order six man was TREMENDOUS. Thought OC vs JJ was super fun. Liked the main event more than I thought I would. Liked Ruby and Saraya's promos. LOVED the Shockmaster guy and Schiavone losing his shit over it.

The only bad (and it was VERY bad) was Toni Storm having no charisma/seeming like she doesn't want to be there, and obviously QTV is horrible. Maybe they have some value backstage but I just don't see what QT and Solo offer, either in-ring or on the mic. So much talent in this company and they're making tv time for two of the only people who seem to get genuine go-away heat.

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 2

Mostly fabulous show. Have to say: opening with the four pillars and fading to black on Hangman turning around to realize the Elite had his back both made me smile from ear to ear - this was some AEW AEW tonight.

And nothing against JB, Guevara, or MJF, but Darby was THE star in that ring tonight. The whole thing was cool though - you have this whole forward looking, 'future is now' segment with them but its juxtaposed with MJF making a Cornette reference and bumping through a cake at the end - it's nice to hear the classics sometimes (Also shout to Taz for the 'What a rush!' when MJF was singing Sabbath)

I'll also be the 100th person to say Brody King and the whole HOB fucking rules. My only criticism of the main was that I could've used some more Kenny/R. Budd Matthews interaction - hoping we get a singles with those two at some point during this.

And I'm with everyone else, QTV was absolute dogshit. Taking that 1:30 or whatever it was, having Hobbs squash a local, grab the mic and say his line ( which was TREMENDOUS btw) would've been much more effective - I was thinking after, thank God they at least have that line for the video packages/Road To.. because the rest of that was some WWE/TNA garbage. 

I was hyped to see Taya, they're going to have I think probably Jades best match yet, but I don't think Taya should be ending Jades streak. At the same time, eventually it's going to get to a point where Jades going to have to challenge for the World title if this continues (were probably past that, honestly) so maybe it's best to just rip the band-aid off. If they don't go with Willow ending it, or signing Sasha Banks and having her end it, then perhaps the best bet at this point is to just have Hayter unify the titles. 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 4

I'm fine with QTV being the evolution of The Factory into a more Paparazzi Productions stable.

Great Dynamite except for Saraya's promo, that was pretty garbage. Orange/Jarrett is going to be the peak of the ratings tonight, as it was a spectacular match. Very surprised that Orange retained, I swore it was Jarrett's night tonight.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Great Dynamite except for Saraya's promo, that was pretty garbage.

Yeah, I'm not gonna place that squarely on Saraya, all three of them kinda had a weird deal going. Everyone keeps comparing them to the NWO, but what would actually save this is doing exactly what they did with the NWO initially with those paid announcement, soundbyte promos. Although at the same time, Ruby's promo last week with Renee was actually pretty awesome, so perhaps she gets a little more leeway.

• Like 1

So what are the matches likely to be in the Free TV MOTW poll? I'm watching the OC match regardless so no need to mention it. 

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Another notable addition to AEW tonight

Surprised it took them this long. I figured they would have hired Stock not long after she was released by WWE.

The Outcasts make a lot more sense when Ruby was standing in the middle.

QTV seems exactly like the kind of thing wrestling fans knee-jerk despise because it looks like so many bad WWE/TNA gimmicks from ten years ago. But QT tends to overachieve, RJ City's a wildcard if he's writing material for the group, and I thought the Book of Hobbes gimmick was ill defined and trying too hard to convey "realness". So I will wait and see with this one.

I wouldn't be shocked if the word ends up being that AEW really did run out of time tonight but that was the best WCW "we're outta time" show close they've done in ever. 

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, John E. Dynamite said:

wouldn't be shocked if the word ends up being that AEW really did run out of time tonight but that was the best WCW "we're outta time" show close they've done in ever. 

I couldn't tell either! Whatever they had planned, this was a million times better. Perhaps it's recency bias, but I'm flirting with the idea of that being like a top 5-10 Dynamite ending. I'm passing out as I type this so I'm sure I could rattle off a ton more, but the only ones immediately springing to mind are the Brodie/ Dark Order beat down of Cody/Brandi where Anna Jay choked her out, and a few from the COVID/initial Forbidden Door era (eg KENTA showing up out of nowhere, Callis helping Kenny win and saying we'll find out why on Impact)

14 minutes ago, Eivion said:

So what are the matches likely to be in the Free TV MOTW poll? I'm watching the OC match regardless so no need to mention it.

Everything but the Jade match.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Surprised it took them this long. I figured they would have hired Stock not long after she was released by WWE.

I know she got arrested not too long after her release and then she decided to roam North America for the better part of almost a year living out of a van. Then, IIRC she got hurt somehow. However, after she went back and did some matches in Mexico, she seems to be in a much better place mentally as well as physically.

• Like 2