DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Seth Meyers told his staff he's going to pay them their salaries and maintain their benefits "as long as possible."

Jimmy Fallon's staff was informed they were losing their insurance and will not be paid for the duration.  

Guess someone told Fallon that these people would eventually end the strike and then probably quit...  It's been confirmed now that he'll pay them for a few weeks and they'll keep their Benefits through September.

• Like 1

More Beavis and Butthead. This week…

Spoiler

They accidentally fall into a manhole and think they’re in hell and then they cause an explosion. Also Beavis goes to the hospital because Butthead keeps hitting him in the nads

In a way, kinda inspiring how they can get a solidish 15 minute episode out of what, on paper, would seem to be so little.

So instead of going on without Kevin Costner - Yellowstone will officially end after Season 5

There is a unnamed sequel series coming to Paramount and Paramount+ starting in Dec

I decided to binge Superstore since I had never seen it, and while it was ok for the first couple of seasons I tapped out after the 3rd. Too many unlikable characters.

On 5/5/2023 at 10:33 AM, RIPPA said:

So instead of going on without Kevin Costner - Yellowstone will officially end after Season 5

There is a unnamed sequel series coming to Paramount and Paramount+ starting in Dec

I honestly don't know where you go with it after what should be the fall of the Dutton's, but Sheridan will do something to lose the point with another show.

20 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I decided to binge Superstore since I had never seen it, and while it was ok for the first couple of seasons I tapped out after the 3rd. Too many unlikable characters.

The Ben Schwarz-America Ferrera storyline felt too much like trying to recreate Pam-Jim with a twist but I never felt like the side characters were too unlikable, and their COVID season is great as possibly the only show to actually discuss the pandemic in a workplace setting.

also, one of the main writers for that show is at least a DVDVR lurker if not a former poster.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JLowe said:

The Ben Schwarz-America Ferrera storyline felt too much like trying to recreate Pam-Jim with a twist but I never felt like the side characters were too unlikable, and their COVID season is great as possibly the only show to actually discuss the pandemic in a workplace setting.

also, one of the main writers for that show is at least a DVDVR lurker if not a former poster.

WAY too much like Jim & Pam.  As for the characters (turns out I watched 4 seasons, not 3):

Jonah talks down to everyone routinely despite the fact that he works a minimum wage job. He also treated Kelly (who came across as a decent, if awkward, person) terribly at the end of their relationship falsely building up her hopes. 

Amy I guess I didn't mind as they threw a LOT at her (going back to school, marriage falling apart, dating again when newly single, getting pregnant) and she never got on my nervesbut neither did she really do anything to win me over either.  

Glenn was a shit manager who never wanted anyone to leave and do better for themselves not to mention constantly letting his religious views get in the way of his job. 

Dina was constantly disrespectful to her direct supervisor and to everybody who worked underneath her.

Mateo was the epitome of the "tattle-tale" type of coworker that everybody hates. He's the guy would intentionally sabotage something you were doing so he would look better. I honestly kept hoping he would get deported. 

Garrett.... ok I actually liked Garrett. I didn't care too much for the story arc of him and Dina hooking up but his character never bothered me. 

Cheyenne was not too bad I guess, but I just can't stand the type of characters that are so stupid it's a miracle they can function in day to day life. 

Sandra was a doormat and a liar, Justine was obnoxious, Carol was just a vile human being and Marcus was misogynistic (in addition to being another "so stupid they shouldn't be able to function" type). 

So I guess I shouldn't say no likeable characters since Garrett is pretty decent and Amy & Cheyenne are ok too. 

Some more cancellations

FOX cancelled Call Me Kat after three seasons. Sadly the writing was probably on the wall for that show ever since Leslie Jordan passed away

CBS cancelled SWAT - its current 6th season will be its last. Apparently despite its decent ratings, it was the most expensive show to produce and we have all seen what being pricey gets you in this new TV landscape

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

CBS cancelled SWAT - its current 6th season will be its last. Apparently despite its decent ratings, it was the most expensive show to produce and we have all seen what being pricey gets you in this new TV landscape

It’s a little more complicated than that.  CBS wanted to renew the show but wanted to pay a flat rights fee.  The studios - Sony - wanted a multi-year deal with an escalator clause, meaning the rights fee increased every year.  TV shows generally get more expensive each year.  Most star’s contracts contain escalator clauses, for one thing.

CBS eventually agreed to an escalator clause, but wanted to cut the per season episode order.  Since a lot of the shows costs are fixed, meaning they are the same regardless if you make 13 episodes or 22, this would have pushed the average per episode cost up, not down, meaning the studio would have actually made less money.

I would not have guessed SWAT was the most expensive network show on the air, but apparently it is.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

Jesus. The fight between Shiv and Tom on Succession gave me big "mom and dad are fighting and I'm stuck in the room" vibes. Still surprised Shiv hasn't told Tom or anyone else she's pregnant and now it's to the point where I wonder if she got an abortion. Although it seems like the timing of all of these episodes seems to be day by day. I think from the start of the season until now it's been 5 or 6 days at the least and 2 weeks at the most. I swear in other seasons it's like months go by.

5 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

It’s a little more complicated than that.  CBS wanted to renew the show but wanted to pay a flat rights fee.  The studios - Sony - wanted a multi-year deal with an escalator clause, meaning the rights fee increased every year.  TV shows generally get more expensive each year.  Most star’s contracts contain escalator clauses, for one thing.

CBS eventually agreed to an escalator clause, but wanted to cut the per season episode order.  Since a lot of the shows costs are fixed, meaning they are the same regardless if you make 13 episodes or 22, this would have pushed the average per episode cost up, not down, meaning the studio would have actually made less money.

I would not have guessed SWAT was the most expensive network show on the air, but apparently it is.

That's kinda what was done to Bob loves Abishola. They cut instead of increasing the budget, dropped the episode count, and moved nearly everybody to recurring/guest instead of series regular. Everyone is pretty much assuming that means next season is the last, but maybe it's just a serious budget restriction thing. (I don't watch the show, have no horse in that race, but it seems like a shitty way to treat people...)

American Dad is hitting it's 350th episode.  To celebrate...

They'll be donating up to $20k for QRT's of the above video.    Also, since Twitter is a hellscape at this point, it's absolutely hilarious to me to see the people that paid $8 for them (or more likely an AI bot) to say stuff like, "No! I watched for 349 episodes but now I'll have to watch something else!" 

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

That's kinda what was done to Bob loves Abishola. They cut instead of increasing the budget, dropped the episode count, and moved nearly everybody to recurring/guest instead of series regular. Everyone is pretty much assuming that means next season is the last, but maybe it's just a serious budget restriction thing. (I don't watch the show, have no horse in that race, but it seems like a shitty way to treat people...)

I just read an article on Bob Loves Abishola.  Per Deadline, the cast consists of 13 people, so  eleven are being demoted from series regular to recurring.  My first thought is “WTH?  Why does a 30-min sitcom need thirteen cast members?”  I mean, I am really skeptical you can juggle that many cast members and find enough for all of them to do to justify having them on salary.  To me, it sounds like the show was popular early on and the creators used that leverage to get jobs for people who should probably have just been recurring characters.

It sounds extreme cutting virtually the entire cast back to pay-per-appearance, but would they be any better off if CBS simply canceled the show?  That seems likely to be the alternative.  Producers released them from the exclusivity clauses, so they can go look for other jobs, if they want.  I feel like, if you expect guaranteed employment, show biz is not the work for you.  Most tv actors work year to year with no expectation that the show will last beyond the next year or so.  And being a regular on a fairly successful show is a good gig.  On balance, the cast will probably come out of this rather well.  I imagine there are a lot of would-be actors in Hollywood who would like to be a regular on a show for four years.

Also, it seems likely that the main reason the show is getting a fifth season at all is that it’s near 100 eps, traditionally the # of eps required for syndication.

I dunno that I like the idea of paring a cast down to two, but I don’t blame CBS for trying to find a way to renew the show at a number they like.  They are not required to renew it all, and if they had canceled it, a lot more than 11 people would be out of work.  Again, nature of the business, so…

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

Jesus. The fight between Shiv and Tom on Succession gave me big "mom and dad are fighting and I'm stuck in the room" vibes. Still surprised Shiv hasn't told Tom or anyone else she's pregnant and now it's to the point where I wonder if she got an abortion. Although it seems like the timing of all of these episodes seems to be day by day. I think from the start of the season until now it's been 5 or 6 days at the least and 2 weeks at the most. I swear in other seasons it's like months go by.

Greg firing Tom seems like where everything is headed, and regardless of whatever happens with the kids and the business, that seems like a solid way for the show to end

Greg falling upward to the top just like Big Head on Silicon Valley

6 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I just read an article on Bob Loves Abishola.  Per Deadline, the cast consists of 13 people, so  eleven are being demoted from series regular to recurring.  My first thought is “WTH?  Why does a 30-min sitcom need thirteen cast members?”  I mean, I am really skeptical you can juggle that many cast members and find enough for all of them to do to justify having them on salary.  To me, it sounds like the show was popular early on and the creators used that leverage to get jobs for people who should probably have just been recurring characters.

It sounds extreme cutting virtually the entire cast back to pay-per-appearance, but would they be any better off if CBS simply canceled the show?  That seems likely to be the alternative.  Producers released them from the exclusivity clauses, so they can go look for other jobs, if they want.  I feel like, if you expect guaranteed employment, show biz is not the work for you.  Most tv actors work year to year with no expectation that the show will last beyond the next year or so.  And being a regular on a fairly successful show is a good gig.  On balance, the cast will probably come out of this rather well.  I imagine there are a lot of would-be actors in Hollywood who would like to be a regular on a show for four years.

Also, it seems likely that the main reason the show is getting a fifth season at all is that it’s near 100 eps, traditionally the # of eps required for syndication.

I dunno that I like the idea of paring a cast down to two, but I don’t blame CBS for trying to find a way to renew the show at a number they like.  They are not required to renew it all, and if they had canceled it, a lot more than 11 people would be out of work.  Again, nature of the business, so…

Who among us will stand up for the poor, misunderstood multinational corporations now?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

21 hours ago, Craig H said:

I’m forgetting who, but someone from the show confirmed that for this final season, one episode = one day. 

SWAT got renewed at the expense of East New York it seems. I really was shocked the latter was on the bubble because it started so strong.

At least So Help Me Todd got renewed

James

59 minutes ago, Log said:

I’m forgetting who, but someone from the show confirmed that for this final season, one episode = one day. 

Yeah, one episode does equal one day, but there have been gaps in time in between episodes.

23 minutes ago, J.H. said:

SWAT got renewed at the expense of East New York it seems. I really was shocked the latter was on the bubble because it started so strong.

At least So Help Me Todd got renewed

James

They also ended up cancelling True Lies

Not really surprising since it was apparently CBS lowest rated scripted show

52 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, one episode does equal one day, but there have been gaps in time in between episodes.

Just repeating what one of the actors from the show said in an interview, but they claim that this season has been consecutive days. Like, Logan died four days before this week's show.

There was a reference in an early episode this season of the election being a week away, so that would track.

2 hours ago, Log said:

Just repeating what one of the actors from the show said in an interview, but they claim that this season has been consecutive days. Like, Logan died four days before this week's show.

There was a reference in an early episode this season of the election being a week away, so that would track.

Oh yeah, this season is definitely one day to the next. The only one that doesn't quite track is the flight to Norway, being there overnight, flying back the next day, and then the next episode has lines from characters making it sound like it's either the same day they just got back in or it's the next day. I mean, either way, this season is definitely consecutive days in some sort of manner. 

• Like 1