DVDVR Message Board

2023 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

I'll be the first one to say that I hated Ghostbusters Ii.  Probably the reason I did not go see Afterlife in the theaters, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed Afterlife despite wanting to punch Finn Wolfhard in the face really really hard every time he appeared on screen.

I think I was spoiled by the quality of the stories in The Real Ghostbusters, especially episodes like The Boogieman Cometh and The Collect Call of Cthulu.  The guys writing for that cartoon knew what the fuck was up.  There was some humor in the stories, but they were also as creepy as you could get for a Saturday morning kid's show.

I expected GB2 to be on the same level only to find out (like others have said) that folks were mailing it in for a paycheck.

Real Ghostbusters scared the shit out of me as a kid. Especially the Boogieman. . .. I liked the show, just saying.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

INSIDE OUT 2

Starring Amy Poehler, Lewis Black, Diane Lane, and Maya Hawke

Directed by Kelsey Mann (The Good Dinosaur, Onward, Lightyear)

Coming June 14, 2024

This is one that probably did not need a sequel, and I love the first one. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, colonial said:

John Cena's COYOTE VS. ACME has been shelved by WBD. No theatrical or Max release.

Why is this in the UPCOMING movie thread then? 😉 

All joking aside, people who’ve seen the movie have spoken of its high quality, with someone going as far as to say it’s the best of its kind since Roger Rabbit. This really sucks. 

• Sad 2

I don't understand how or why exactly but it seems the whole basis of this is somehow WB executives are cancelling films for tax write offs that wind up making them money? Fucking bizarre.

Honestly the plot synopsis (Wile E. Coyote sues ACME for their faulty products causing him to never catch the Roadrunner, also John Cena is present) sounds great. 

• Like 4

Back to Ghostbusters, I decided to check out the clips from the Knock Knock/Don’t Open Until Doomsday episode.

This fucking rocks so hard and makes me think very young me is still right and this episode should be the premise for a Ghostbusters movie.

For Gravity Falls fans, it’s essential what happens when you unleash Bill Cypher on the world/universe and it 100% rules. Hell, just do that. Combine elements of Gravity Falls, Bill Cypher, and this episode of Real Ghostbusters for a new movie.

Okay, I know you all "like" him, because he's so "likeable", but really... Chris Pratt needs to be stopped.

GARFIELD

Starring Chris Pratt, Samuel L. Jackson (?), Ving Rhames (??), and Hannah Waddingham

Directed by Mark Dindal (Chicken Little, The Emperor's New Groove)

Releases May 24, 2024

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Okay, I know you all "like" him, because he's so "likeable", but really... Chris Pratt needs to be stopped.

GARFIELD

Starring Chris Pratt, Samuel L. Jackson (?), Ving Rhames (??), and Hannah Waddingham

Directed by Mark Dindal (Chicken Little, The Emperor's New Groove)

Releases May 24, 2024

The movie should have been an extended version of this.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2023 at 5:11 PM, colonial said:

John Cena's COYOTE VS. ACME has been shelved by WBD. No theatrical or Max release.

I hope this movie makes a billion dollars for Universal or A24 or whoever. 

• Like 5

I was thinking the other day that they can only get away with that tax write-off thing so many times before it starts affecting public perception of their movie slate and makes it harder to get talent to sign on to their projects. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I hope this movie makes a billion dollars for Universal or A24 or whoever. 

That's awesome.  It's so vile and late stage capitalism that a film can get made, get good advances, but get shelved forever for a tax write-off because execs figure it'll make money but not as much money as we want it to.

• Like 2

As if the sheer lack of respect for their own classic, treasured and timeless intellectual property (to put it in scumbag industry terminology) wasn't bad enough! It's kinda like Disney shelving a film because it didn't make enough money... oh wait... well, the selling off part of it, anyway. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Denzel Washington has been cast as Hannibal in Antoine Fuqua's movie for Netflix about the Carthaginian general

The first half of this sentence now makes me really REALLY want to see Denzel in a Silence of the Lambs remake. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1