DVDVR Message Board

2023 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I didn't go to the same high school. He went to Mishawaka, I went to Penn (this is a big enough city and town and there's a bunch of high schools here), we were in the same circles and went to the same clubs before and after I graduated in 99. Then I stopped keeping in touch with most of those folks. Oh, and I also think he sold vacuum cleaners door to door with one of my closest friends. And he went out with someone I still know, well, I guess used to know because I haven't talked to her or her husband since COVID. I just remember that he was a little bitch and very much I AM AN AKTOR and he thought he was all hard and shit. Imagine someone who listened to a lot of Henry Rollins spoken word shit and then thought, yeah, that's me! Like, while I wasn't friends friends with him, I still knew Pete Buttigieg because again, similar circles of friends and the high school he went to was "private" and smaller but I had a lot of friends that went there. Driver was like a million times more serious than Mayor Pete. Motherfucker, you're in high school. Settle down. 

So of course he was one of those folks who fucked off to the military after 9/11. And that was that until I watched the premiere of Girls and was like, "The fuck? Is that Adam? Damn, he's ugly." But hey, he kept hustling and made a career of it so props to him. Just a lot of shit I see from him or read about him reminds me of the dude I knew from 20 years ago. It's not like he hasn't had a bunch of grounding life experiences either, but maybe there's something different when you live a normal life, start working, get married, have kids or fur kids or whatever that just grounds you more.

EDIT: And it's not like I didn't do a bunch of stupid shit back then, but I also didn't act all hardcore and stuff despite being into the punk scene. It was all just fun and fucking around and doing stupid shit and giggling non stop while doing all of that and trying to enjoy myself when I was hanging out with people because the other side of my life was my dad dying and then passing away when I was 17. We were just on opposite ends of the spectrum and he was annoying. He was what the kids today would describe as a "try hard."

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, (BP) said:

I was thinking the other day that they can only get away with that tax write-off thing so many times before it starts affecting public perception of their movie slate and makes it harder to get talent to sign on to their projects. 

And @(BP) wins the grand prize:

I'm guessing someone whose last name happens to be "Gunn" (who actually wrote C vs A) probably let his thoughts be known too.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Would have sworn you were talking about the person making the moronic comments to him at the Q&A.

Don't think we have anybody on the board from Franch. (Spot the reference and you get a prize!) 

Adam Driver sounds like... Kylo Ren, I guess? (I never saw the movies. Yep.)

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

'80s black comedy about a suicidal kid sounds right up my alley, but I haven't even HEARD of that movie. 🤷‍♂️

Oh and come on, what other movies have stunned you? It can't be that many... can it?

Did you watch none of the John Cusack 80s movies?

• Sixteen Candles
  • Better Off Dead
  • One Crazy Summer
  • Say Anything

And then tangentially - any of the John Hughes movies?

(Note that part of the issue is I might think you are way older than you actually are)

1. No. In fact I've not seen all of High Fidelity... every time I try, it ends up irritating me. Or Grosse Point Blank either. Looking at his filmography, all I've seen with him in it all the way through is Stand By Me and Being John Malkovich. It's not that I don't like the guy; it's probably just that I don't like romances. I haven't seen Maps to the Stars yet and that's a frickin Cronenberg film.

2. I'm hitting 40 beginning of next month. Unfortunately.

Hughes: love The Breakfast Club, liked Weird Science when I saw it years ago, what I've seen of Bueller is okay, Planes, Trains and Automobiles is just too sad to watch, seen Uncle Buck, probably saw/forced to see Beethoven as a kid (ugh), saw Home Alone in the theater, watch Christmas Vacation every year. 

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

For the record - I always liked One Crazy Summer more (though I do like Better Off Dead)

This is me as well.  Better off Dead has more memorable moments but One Crazy Summer is just funnier overall.

Of course Savage Steve Holland's greatest career achievement will always be designing and animating the Whammies for Press Your Luck.

• Like 1

I usually think without Better Off Dead we'd never have a lot of things like Family Guy (when it was good). That movie is just so irreverent and has such weird non sequiturs that it seemed like it wound up being the fuel for modern comedy. It's been awhile since I've watched it. I get if you're sensitive to suicide, but in all the times I watched that movie, suicide didn't once register with me. It's just an extremely silly movie.

This is so gloriously stupid and hilarious. And quotable. "IT'S EVERYWHERE!"

• Haha 1

To get back to movies as tax write offs - in a movie Disney probably wishes they could throw in the bin

Per Forbes - the live action version of Snow White will need to make at least $340 million to be considered a "success"

And that is assuming it doesn't get delayed again (it got pushed to March 21, 2025 a couple of weeks ago)