DVDVR Message Board

2023 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

This is me as well.  Better off Dead has more memorable moments but One Crazy Summer is just funnier overall.

Of course Savage Steve Holland's greatest career achievement will always be designing and animating the Whammies for Press Your Luck.

You misspelled Eek the Cat. 😉

I mentioned the Coyote vs. Acme movie while in the car with my family a few days ago. My kids (12 and 6) had no clue what I was talking about. It hit me then that they really have no frame of reference for Looney Tunes other than Space Jam. I don't think they've ever seen a LT cartoon in their lives.

On 11/10/2023 at 8:19 PM, Death From Above said:

I don't understand how or why exactly but it seems the whole basis of this is somehow WB executives are cancelling films for tax write offs that wind up making them money? Fucking bizarre.

(...)

The Producers really was more documentary than satire, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

Hold onto your hat then, I literally just saw Back to the Future for the first time on Sunday.

Great Scott!

I feel like I have to say more after that... let's see.

Spoiler

The 11 year old has seen all of them and maybe played half of the TellTale Games.

I snuck in Adventures in Babysitting when her mom was asleep the other day. That was a close thing. I had to explain both Playboy and prostitution. Good parenting choice there.

29 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Great Scott!

I feel like I have to say more after that... let's see.

Reveal hidden contents

The 11 year old has seen all of them and maybe played half of the TellTale Games.

I snuck in Adventures in Babysitting when her mom was asleep the other day. That was a close thing. I had to explain both Playboy and prostitution. Good parenting choice there.

My partner loves the first one and told me not to worry about the other two because, and I quote, "I know you and I know you're not going to like them".

I, being stubborn, did not listen and watched the other two, then tried to find a way to be MORE stubborn and not tell him that he was right, because JEEZ.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Reading these old CFQs is neat because you will always have the one guy who will write a reaaaaaally long review of something like those two sequels that will start in about the commentaries, intentional or otherwise, of late capitalism. Gremlins 2 of course got a huge dose of that. It's a nice change from the other reviews that mostly trash everything. (Actually, I'm on 1990 now and it seems they're actually starting to LIKE the good stuff -- Exorcist III, Batman, Darkman, and most shockingly the remake of Night of the Living Dead all got glowing reviews.)

On 11/13/2023 at 1:18 PM, Technico Support said:

The first half of this sentence now makes me really REALLY want to see Denzel in a The A-Team remake. 

The end of that sentence makes me wonder why the fuck we never got more A-Team remakes.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Raziel said:

The end of that sentence makes me wonder why the fuck we never got more A-Team remakes.

I don't think A-Team garnered the same nostalgic intrigue as a lot of other IPs that had remakes/reimaginings/reboots. The box office for the one we got should be the bigger indicator. There was a good five to seven year stretch where the amount of stuff being redone on film and TV was insane. The A-Team remake came right in the middle of that. People picked and chose and skipped over a lot of the just slightly above average to mediocre ones. 

• Like 1

The Fall Guy has been delayed 2 months (technically for the better)

It will move into the slot recently vacated by Deadpool 3 (May 3, 2024)

It was originally scheduled to release March 1

16 hours ago, Raziel said:

I feel like The Expendables coming out at the same time took up all the room in that particular lane.

• Like 1

If we have any kaiju fans here, I just wanted to let everyone know that Godzilla Minus One is the best Godzilla movie since the original, and I loved it. I saw the US premiere in LA, and it was spectacular.

Shin Godzilla was more of a political satire. This is a post-WWII drama mixed with a disaster movie. Great reset for the franchise, and it actually nails the human story. 

See this movie opening day.

• Like 4

Dune: Part Two has had its release date moved yet again

Good news though - it has been moved up two weeks earlier

New release date is March 1, 2024 (its most recent date was March 15)

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 11:52 AM, RIPPA said:

Full trailer for Saltburn in case you didn't it was batshit enough

It's directed by Emerald Fennell (Promising Young Woman) so not surprised that it looks batshit and it will probably be awesome.

• Like 1

Considering how little of the book storyline they got into Part One, I wouldn't be surprised if Part Two ended with a "To be Continued" about two thirds of the way through the book plot.

• Haha 2

On 11/21/2023 at 6:29 AM, J.T. said:

It's directed by Emerald Fennell (Promising Young Woman) so not surprised that it looks batshit and it will probably be awesome.

You'll never look at a bathtub the same way again. 

• Like 1