DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

I'm still having fun playing Fight Forever a couple hours here and there but still bummed at the lack of match options. As I said before, just some easy options like Ironman or submission would go an extremely long way. Throw in Tornado Tag. I'm one of the few who bought Season 2 and if this is it it's a letdown. I don't even know what I unlocked in Beat the Elite. 

Despite all that I still find myself playing this instead of the 2K games. The gameplay keeps me coming back, that and my huge win streak playing as Orange Cassidy 

On 1/18/2024 at 1:49 PM, Casey said:

is that her debut theme song? That shit slaps, so I’m not mad. Yes I know she’s a totally different character now, but still… that song is fucking great.

I also won’t be buying the new season pass until it’s half off or more, so… there’s also that. I haven’t touched Fight Forever in ages.

Yes, that was her original song, and I fully agree with you that it slaps. I definiltey like it more than the "Timeless" song, although that's hardly an apprpriate one for her character. I just think it's ridiculous to expect people to drop $12 for a character that's already outdated.

The AI deepfakes of Hogan & Austin are terrifying. Like, come on. I don’t have issues with AI or anything but that shit just looks atrocious. My god.

I need to know if CM Punk is DLC or base roster. It would be absolutely wild to not include him at all, or wait for one of the later DLC packs. I’m gonna predict he’s either in at launch, or is the “headliner” of the first pack. The 2K fandom would go bananas if AJ Lee was included (as would several members of the female roster).

Anyway: new match types are apparently Ambulance, Casket, Gauntlet and Special Ref. I might be missing one. Real, actual WWE referees are included this time around too - Aja Smith has been spotted in some screenshots, and 2K already confirmed there’s 7-8 of them. That’s cool, get the refs a payday.

Pre-order bonus is a copy of 2K23 (that’s wild) + Stardust, Dashing Cody, Dusty and Billy Graham. Pharoah is an optional manager for Cody… in MyFaction. Lol. 

What exactly is MyFaction, anyway? All I know about it is that it's way too hard to exit if you accidentally click into it.

(I accidentally did just that a few days ago and was befuddled not to find a way to return to the main menu. So I figured fine, I'll make whatever initial selections I need then exit. After several minutes of making contextless choices I didn't understand, I said "fuck it" and restarted the game.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

My main concern is how the new game will end up effecting Battle of the brands. 

They are starting a new series with the new game

Its why they keep saying they have a time crunch to finish the current one

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

What exactly is MyFaction, anyway? All I know about it is that it's way too hard to exit if you accidentally click into it.

(I accidentally did just that a few days ago and was befuddled not to find a way to return to the main menu. So I figured fine, I'll make whatever initial selections I need then exit. After several minutes of making contextless choices I didn't understand, I said "fuck it" and restarted the game.)

It’s a micro transaction hellscape.

If you remember the towers mode from… 2K19, I think? Take that idea and add a live service element + to have anyone to use in the mode you need to buy and/or unlock cards. And some of the cards are exclusive to the mode, IE 2K23 had Big Poppa Pump era Scott Steiner only in that mode.

• Thanks 1

I never have touched MyFaction. It looked like utter bullshit and tedium. Seriously, who comes up with this shit and thinks it'll be a selling point? 

I hope the GM mode returns; far and away the best element of the last iteration IMHO, and I'm likely to skip this year's game if it's not brought back with shiny new features.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

They are starting a new series with the new game

Its why they keep saying they have a time crunch to finish the current one

Right. I was thinking more “how will the new game change how they play Brands” 

2 hours ago, Casey said:

It’s a micro transaction hellscape.

If you remember the towers mode from… 2K19, I think? Take that idea and add a live service element + to have anyone to use in the mode you need to buy and/or unlock cards. And some of the cards are exclusive to the mode, IE 2K23 had Big Poppa Pump era Scott Steiner only in that mode.

Thanks, but all I remember about "towers" mode is that I joked on here about whether it had anything to do with the Triple Tower of Doom. Pretty sure I never even accidentally clicked on it.

52 minutes ago, No Point Stance said:

I hope the GM mode returns; far and away the best element of the last iteration IMHO, and I'm likely to skip this year's game if it's not brought back with shiny new features.

That reminds me - I picked up 2K23 on the cheap, but bounced off GM Mode pretty quickly when I discovered the whole roster wasn't available to draft. I may give it another chance, but that just seems like a really weird decision to me.

I've been playing Universe heavily, and it's kind of annoying. I mean, it's nice to have a new roster to play with after playing 2K22 to death. And 2K23 adds the ability to choose what "Rival Action" occurs for a rivalry (including none if you want to give it a rest for a week). Given my previous complaints, you'd think that would be great for me, right? Well...

The problem is that all the choices of Rival Actions are kind of stupid, as far as I can tell. And to double down on my earlier complaints, some pretty basic wrestling tropes can't be instantiated. Like, suppose Face is feuding with Heel. You want Heel to beat a lower-card face one week, then lay down an unjustified beatdown on them, only for Face to come out and run Heel off. Kind of a Wrestling 101 way to start or build a feud - but as far as I can tell, you can't do that in 2K23. And if you do select one of the actions which involve a wrestler in the rivalry wrestling somebody other than their rival - you can't choose who that "somebody" will be. The computer picks them at random. Since I generally have plans for everybody on the roster, that doesn't work for me.

And the ability to choose Rival Actions apparently replaced the last couple of iterations' ability to schedule a pre-match, mid-match, or post-match run-in. Those options were simplistic, but they did at least allow you to roughly simulate a scenario like what I describe above. So Universe mode has actually gotten worse in my estimation.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tbarrie said:

bounced off GM Mode pretty quickly when I discovered the whole roster wasn't available to draft. I may give it another chance, but that just seems like a really weird decision to me.

Everyone's available, just not at the initial draft; they can be hired in subsequent weeks for varying contract periods. Granted, it's a bit weird but you do have access to everyone, just not all at once. You can also create a roster of nothing but CAW talent and/or have a CAW GM.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Kang said:

Just simming VPW2, I do my Inoki-ism matches with the AJPW players in the ring.  NJPW fighters under regular rules with Wada as the Ref.

Yay inversion. Thank you Nobuo Shiraishi.

I used to do 5 on 1 gauntlet style matches versus Misawa on the hardest setting with the UWFI style rules. My first character would inveitably lose by charging into an elbow and getting KO'd.

• Like 3

Here's something to make y'all feel old.

I came across a video showing all of the signature moves from the first great pro wrestling game I ever played, NES Pro Wrestling.

I want you to look at the bios for the thing that will make you feel old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TbWiimPthU

Yes, all the wrestlers are in their 70's and 80's (well, except for the Amazon and Starman, nobody knows how old they are.)

I figure that Starman has El Nieto del Starman wrestling in a bunch of Lucha Libre indies, King Slender got caught in the steroid trials of the 90's, Giant Panther is puttering around in retirement (and has offered his brain for CTE study post-mortem due to all the unprotected headbutts he gave out), and The Amazon had his final retirement ceremony a few years back after which he ran around the ring biting and choking folks, having to be dragged away.

(and have you EVER, EVER hit a Back Brain Kick?)

• Like 2

Pro Wrestling was the very first game I got for the NES. The NES I got didn’t come with Mario and Duck Hunt. The second game I got was Kung Fu. I played so much NES Pro Wrestling.

I’ve been watching some of the older Battle of the Brand seasons and it’s just funny how many wrestlers I don’t think I’ve heard anything about in years, for numerous reasons, like Jack Gallagher and Aiden English. 

and the BOTB show itself is different, with them doing most of the episodes together in the pre lockdown era.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I’ve been watching some of the older Battle of the Brand seasons and it’s just funny how many wrestlers I don’t think I’ve heard anything about in years, for numerous reasons, like Jack Gallagher and Aiden English. 

and the BOTB show itself is different, with them doing most of the episodes together in the pre lockdown era.

I thought the guy doing commentary at the Revolver show I went to looked really familiar and I realized after the fact it was Aiden English.

Funny thing is I've never actually seen him wrestle, I recognized him from WWE2K19.