DVDVR Message Board

JBL Bullying/Harassing/Torturing Mauro Ranallo/MNM/Justin Roberts Duke The Dumpster Fire Droese Thread

TheVileOne

Well I do question it from a stand point of how scared WWE is of offending anyone. They don't permit people to bleed and are terrified of getting real heat. So I do question them doing something like that. Not out of any inherent nobility, but just from how they have operated since 2009.

If it counts for anything (probably not), the "mentally retarded" definition of MR was added to Urban Dictionary in 2004. So it's a thing. Other meanings are Masturbation Race and Music Removed, among others.

MR is supposed to be ID nowadays (intellectually disabled).  But it's still in the DSM.

Whenever I have to still use the "mental retardation" cluster of diagnoses, I usually explain to families of clients that there's a huge difference between being "mentally retarded" and "a retard".  Alarmingly most families get it.

And thus, a publicly traded company just let a serial bully get away with it again because "HA! IF HE CAN'T TAKE  IT, HE'S GOT NO BUSINESS HERE, PAL!"

Seriously, fuck this company...

• Like 6

JBL and Benoit were/are both blatant sociopaths. They egged each other on. It was sick. 

I'll never forget that little story from Meltzer in the WO after Regal had given his (notably weary) tribute on the Benoit tribute Raw.

JBL to Regal after Regal had finished filming: "You don't think he really killed that boy, do you?"

Of course he killed him. You know fine well he did.   

On 22 April 2017 at 2:34 AM, Burgundy LaRue said:

Back in the day, MR was a 'cute' way to call someone mentally retarded.

On 22 April 2017 at 3:31 AM, Craig H said:

Burgundy is right regarding MR. MR is still used today.

I didn't know this. Damn.

Newest WON - not the full blurb just some pieces

The timing of this was because a major news outlet was working on a story on the subject, and WWE needed Ranallo to essentially absolve Layfield to either weaken or kill the story. It is not certain whether the story will or won’t run, because many interviews were already done, but the key to the story was how it related to Ranallo’s situation.

As far as why he did, the explanations given that he, in the end loved wrestling, and he was begged to do, so still leaves the unanswered questions.

While it appears that both sides have parted ways, as Ranallo’s statement would indicate, and there is paperwork in place that they have, the idea of Ranallo coming back is not a dead issue.

-----------

Those interviewed for the story were disappointed and felt the Ranallo comments likely killed the story. One of the reasons, and this can best be explained if you followed the reasoning of why pro wrestlers are listed as independent contractors and not employees, is that unless you have no intention of ever working for WWE again, and also don’t mind being in a public fight that will cause a lot of stress, you are not going to try and publicly challenge them on major issues like that. In the case of the independent contractors claim, as an example, it was challenged, but it was by talent that had given up on every coming back, and this way so far after they had last worked there that their claim was thrown out based on the statute of limitations before there was even a legal fight over whether the actual claims had validity. The only people who will speak out are those who have given up the dream, and it usually takes years (there are exceptions to that) before people say to themselves that they really never want to go back, or that it’s never going to happen. In this situation, it was the same, as the only people who were going to publicly say anything are those who either truly don’t want to return, or those who have give up hope on returning.

-------------

Obviously, the behavior on Twitter alone with Ranallo and Layfield in recent weeks tells you there was extreme heat between the two of them, yet Ranallo was the one who may have saved Layfield, as well as the company, from likely another series of more negative articles on his behavior over the years.

That one piece of emphasis is mine

I was a big proponent of Mauro saying "Screw your settlement" and fight WWE on this.  But this part of the article made me see why that wouldn't be a good idea.  As much as I hate to admit it the statements might have been the best option for Mauro:

I do know there are some who had felt that as an advocate for mental health that he should have fought a public fight. And I can see that sentiment from the outside. In real life, that doesn’t happen, and in his case, the reality is it would not have been good. It would have been terrible for his health, as well as his career, more likely than not. He was just recovering from his worst period since he became a public figure as an announcer. An even more public battle was not going to be a positive for him.

It would not be a positive for a future career in broadcasting to be seen as someone who maligned the company he worked for, and then got in a public dispute where his work and character would be attacked at every turn. I’ve seen too many of these situations, and as far as right or wrong goes, those kind of fights ruin lives. The idea that he already has jobs in broadcasting and is very good at what he does, so he should fight this fight misses the point that he just had a bad episode and what triggered it was nothing compared to a big public fight. And for WWE, it goes the same way, or else there would have been no settlement, he’d have been released for failure to show up for work and that would have been the end of it.

So, catching up on this, Dynamite Dave cheered on the bullying of a handicapped kid in middle school and JBL bullied a bunch of people 15 years ago and now Mauro Ranallo is sad and everybody wants WWE to be held accountable.

McMahon and Lawler referring to Ranallo as "MR" as a way to call him a pejorative is a hell of a stretch.  As if McMahon or Lawler need a codeword to insult someone to their face.  More like they were trying to introduce Ranallo to the SmackDown audience by making the association between him and "JR" Jim Ross, a figure fans treat as a deity.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BEN! said:

So, catching up on this, Dynamite Dave cheered on the bullying of a handicapped kid in middle school and JBL bullied a bunch of people 15 years ago and now Mauro Ranallo is sad and everybody wants WWE to be held accountable.

McMahon and Lawler referring to Ranallo as "MR" as a way to call him a pejorative is a hell of a stretch.  As if McMahon or Lawler need a codeword to insult someone to their face.  More like they were trying to introduce Ranallo to the SmackDown audience by making the association between him and "JR" Jim Ross, a figure fans treat as a deity.

Hmmm....once you reached "BL bullied a bunch of people 15 years ago and now Mauro Ranallo is sad and everybody wants WWE to be held accountable," I figured out you don't know much about mental illness and you've never been tormented by someone bigger than you. Super.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Godfrey said:

I'm interested in standing up for the rights of people with disabilities, regardless of their social standing or whether it's reciprocated. I also refer to it as being a decent human.

He's bi polar not autistic. So save the dramatics. 

Guy got a fat cash settlement for his trouble. Which is more than most of us get for being harrassed. 

• Like 1