DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown is A Clean Pin?

Dolfan in NYC

I should have elaborated and said "Ryan Ward, who is behind us loving 2014-5 NXT so much!"

By this point it's pretty safe to say it's not just the 2 hrs vs the 3 hrs that makes Smackdown superior. You can see trends and some of them are common to the last few years of NXT.

• Like 2

Somebody asked Meltzer if Vince manages SD and he said Vince does.  So if it's not a case of Vince doesn't do SD then maybe it's whoever's writing Raw?  What role does Jimmy Jacobs have in all this? Who's the Ryan Ward for Raw?

If you had told me a couple of months ago that the Usos were going over American Alpha for a shot at the tag titles held by Rhyno and Heath Slater, and that I would be all in on the Usos getting a shot, I would have asked you to pass me whatever it was you were smoking.  But here we are.

And one of the Usos looks like he's starting to put on some extra weight, like a proper Samoan wrestler.  I approve.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Naomi, the indy move thief (ilovenaomitoodontworry!).

Thought it was her.

1 hour ago, NickMD said:

Also really loved Ambrose's Talkin Smack promo.  I don't know if there's legit tension or not but if not then he sure made me believe what he said about Cena.

Its probably a little of both. So much of wrestlers' live are out there in the open that they can't completely ignore certain things. They even acknowledge that Renee & Dean are an item.

11 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

No? I was thinking more of personality, but you knew that.

Yes I did, but I couldn't resist the temptation of meeting hyperbole with more hyperbole.  Especially when the initial rhetoric comes from seeing someone in a different environment for all of 90 seconds.

I didn't ever understand the hatred toward the Usos.  Yeah, they needed a refresher.  But some folks were saying they were bad wrestlers, and that is nowhere near true.  The problem they face now is they'll do so well as heels, folks will ignore the dastardly stuff they do and start cheering them.

42 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I think why SD is so good isn't the big picture but the little details, which is a big part of why NXT was so good and exactly what Vince isn't focusing on.

I think it's simply that Smackdown doesn't have Roman and Stephanie to worry about. That's nothing against them as performers but the writers likely have to put most of their energy into coming up with stuff for them that Vince likes. On Smackdown, the only guy I can see Vince being really concerned about is Cena and at this point, he probably doesn't even care that much about what they do with Cena as long as he's in a prominent position.

People really seem to forget some of the bad periods of RAW before they accepted the mixed reactions for Cena. They used to put a ton of focus on trying to get him universally cheered and it was often to the detriment of the show.

SD reminds me a lot of 2014 NXT. It's a very well-organized show that maximizes the potential of everyone on it, but it's short on high-end matches due to having only a couple elite workers. Raw is the opposite where they have a wealth of talent that can churn out great matches at a moment's notice, but is hampered by uninspired writing.

At this point, I've seen enough that if I were in charge, I'd scrap the brand split and let Ryan Ward run the whole thing.

2 hours ago, jstout said:

There's gotta be some kind of stip match coming at the PPV to ensure Ziggler doesn't get screwed over again - and hopefully, he'll get screwed over again during that match by nefarious old-school heel Miz.

Now that Ziggler has lost twice there's no kayfabe reason he should get another rematch.  I could see them doing a Title vs Career match with Ziggler finally getting the win.  The pop would be tremendous, but if history is any indication Ziggler would be on fire for a week or two the unceremoniously lose the title again and go back to a 50/50 feud with some midcarder.

The kayfabe reason is that he keeps getting screwed over by Team Miz and their perfume and deserves a shot where none of that crap is gonna come into play. A lot of people were saying Bryan was being anti-Miz putting him up against Ziggler like this, but he just wants a fair-and-square winner.

7 minutes ago, jstout said:

The kayfabe reason is that he keeps getting screwed over by Team Miz and their perfume and deserves a shot where none of that crap is gonna come into play. A lot of people were saying Bryan was being anti-Miz putting him up against Ziggler like this, but he just wants a fair-and-square winner.

The thing is a legit point has also been made that Ziggler did absolutely nothing to earn his original title shot in the first place, let a lone a second. A third shot would only go further in proving that Bryan simply has a grudge.

• Like 1

He may have not deserved the first one going in (I can't remember if he won one of those hokey No. 1 contender 4-ways, but it seems like he didn't), but after the perfume got involved, he became a wronged man who could beat that mean ol' heel if the heel wouldn't keep using that perfume. Bryan isn't showing a grudge, he's showing a feeling of right and wrong. Now if they wrestle with no perfume and Miz wins clean, then he's out of arguments.

1 minute ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Between FaBreeze and Miz, I'm not sure who I want to see Rick Martel brought back to hang out with more. 

Both have such valid points... 

So why not both? I want to see the return of Essence, damnit!

Team Essence for a Survivor Series match!  Please make this happen.  And if it's against Ziggler's team, then they'd need a wacky team and name as well.

Aw, heck, just bring back wacky team names for Survivor Series style matchups, those were always fun.  Make them dual-branded with there being a common theme to the teams.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Watched the Talking Smack rant from Ambrose and loved the offhand comment about having to buy an extra bag for the belt "which will be, like, 20 bucks."

Such a great interview, and that line was the funniest thing on WWE in ages 

I get what Dave is saying on twitter. My follow up question would be "Is Vince more a part of writing the product now than he was in 2002-2003 during the Smackdown Six Era that we attribute to Heyman's book." My guess is that it's just the same status quo, and in that regard, Ward does deserve some credit, even though it's not a case of Vince not being involved.