DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown is A Clean Pin?

Dolfan in NYC

Miz should be legit wrestler of the year. I applauded after that victory and I rarely do that sort of thing. I'm still hoping he ends up using The Yes Lock. The rebranded Miz Lock will be a thing of beauty.

Also Ambrose getting a clean win on Cena was amazing. But didn't they have one on one's when Ambrose was in The Shield? I know that match must have happened.

Miz's magic eye spray is so throwbacky heel it's awesome. Clean pin in the main surprised me, too. Did Ambrose seem a step slow to anyone else? Maybe it was by design.

I was in the kitchen and heard someone speak, so I came back into my bedroom, looked at the TV and exclaimed JACK SWAGGER? Then went back into the kitchen and heard two more things you just don't wanna hear on your wrestling program: Apollo Crews and Baron Corbin. Time to do some cookin'.

Seriously, between a really fun AA/Usos match that builds naturally to a rematch and left plenty on the table down the line, to the Becky/Alexa icontract signing both made that match feel important, got over Alexa as a heel, and showed Becky has some real fire on the mic. It's also great to have a womens feud built around something other then "Hey, remember when these girls knew each other in NXT and were doing some much better then this!", Miz continuing his borderline MVP run Ambrose/Cena had a fun main that continues to establish that just because he lsot the title doesn't mean Ambrose isn't still a top guy, in a productive main event. AJ Styles, the best wrestler in the company, didn't work a match tonight and it still blew away Raw which went all in with an Owens/Reigns cage match.

• Like 3

Two great things on Talking Smack:

- Daniel Bryan's hashtags for his WM documentary #ReleaseTheBear and #ArnAnderson.  If you combine them you get a hilarious mixup on Lana and Rusev's wedding night!

- Dean Ambrose shitting on the Too Sweet hand thing.  That's some genuine "I am a misfit who will never fit in and don't give a fuck" shit talk, I think. 

• Like 2

Another great show! The difference between RAW and Smackdown is that they advance their storylines in small but meaningful ways every week. They reward the viewer for paying attention.

Becky and Alexa both did a great job in the contract signing. Alexa is her usual snarky self and did great considering her lack of experience. Becky then cut the babyface promo of all babyface promos. I was watching it going, "She should say she wasn't born a champ but made herself a champ" and then that's exactly what her promo was.

The Usos are going to be my favorite tag team by the end of the year. Their combination of killer limb work, trash talking and some high flying is tremendous. Gable had a great night too. His promo was spot on, his fire to start the match was great and his selling was off the charts good. Easily one of the top TV tag matches of the year.

Corbin and Crews had a decent little brawl and Corbin finally turned up the intensity for a change. It's what he's been missing.

Miz/Ziggler started off good and kicked it into high gear. I stood up and clapped at the Zig Zag nearfall because somehow they got me. The finish was very clever with Maryse getting tossed out and Miz still finding a way to cheat to win.

Ambrose/Cena felt a bit rushed but the clean pin was shocking. I like that they're doing AJ/Ambrose before the PPV because I think they're heading towards AJ vs Orton for Survivor Series but I could be wrong.

Talking Smack was really good too. They didn't let Carmella go on too long. Dean Ambrose cut a killer promo about John Cena changing on the bus because he's got no friends.

Everyone on Smackdown has fire and motivation and they all want to fucking fight each other. It's beautiful.

• Like 3

I liked Becky's "I wasn't born to be a winner but I made myself one" promo.  They are building her nicely as being a Dusty Rhodes "wrong side of the tracks" kid you want to root for.

But at the same time I don't understand any universe in which people are supposed to look at Becky Lynch as someone not blessed as an astounding genetic specimen of humanity and a born winner. Even compared to Alexa Bliss.  Hell, especially compared to Alexa Bliss who is more smurf than human.

Mick Foley?  Yes.

Dusty Rhodes? Absolutely.

Dean Ambrose? Sure.

Becky Lynch? Is in the top 99.999999 percentile of "born looking like a winner in life."

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

Miz should be legit wrestler of the year. I applauded after that victory and I rarely do that sort of thing. I'm still hoping he ends up using The Yes Lock. The rebranded Miz Lock will be a thing of beauty.

Also Ambrose getting a clean win on Cena was amazing. But didn't they have one on one's when Ambrose was in The Shield? I know that match must have happened.

As far as I know, they've only worked two previous singles matches. One was the first US title open challenge. The other was a contract on a pole match prior to HIAC 2014. 

1 minute ago, Charlie M. said:

The Usos are going to be my favorite tag team by the end of the year. Their combination of killer limb work, trash talking and some high flying is tremendous. Gable had a great night too. His promo was spot on, his fire to start the match was great and his selling was off the charts good. Easily one of the top TV tag matches of the year.

The confrontation backstage was really well written.  It was like a scene in STRANGER THINGS where the main kids are goofing around being funny and charming and then the two bullies show up and shit gets real.  Except I guess Rhino is our Eleven and Heath, sad sack that he is, ain't backing down no matter how bad an beating he's going to get.

31 minutes ago, piranesi said:

I liked Becky's "I wasn't born to be a winner but I made myself one" promo.  They are building her nicely as being a Dusty Rhodes "wrong side of the tracks" kid you want to root for.

But at the same time I don't understand any universe in which people are supposed to look at Becky Lynch as someone not blessed as an astounding genetic specimen of humanity and a born winner. Even compared to Alexa Bliss.  Hell, especially compared to Alexa Bliss who is more smurf than human.

Mick Foley?  Yes.

Dusty Rhodes? Absolutely.

Dean Ambrose? Sure.

Becky Lynch? Is in the top 99.999999 percentile of "born looking like a winner in life."

But here's the thing. Yeah Becky looks like a million bucks but she also got hurt, lost her way, tried to find something to fill the void when her dream was seemingly stolen from her. And then she finds out she can still continue her dream so she works hard at it. In a land where she was an afterthought going against the daughter of a legend, the lovable babyface and the best sports entertainer in NXT, she somehow had one of the best matches in 2015. Look at how the Full Sail crowd reacts to her entrance vs. Sasha and look how they react after she lost. Becky Lynch, physically, has everything you would want in a performer and generally what you would want your top female star to look like. But just like Mick Foley and Dean Ambrose she wasn't supposed to be the top woman in the company but she fought her way to the top through adversity that many people can relate to. Sure when you look at it, it's quite obvious she was going to be Women's Champion some day. She's an attractive woman who can cut a good promo and can handle her own in the ring, she's Irish and when she would go to NXT shows she was always sitting next to Stephanie McMahon who has said on NXT pre-shows that she roots for Becky Lynch. So no Becky is not exactly like Mick, Dusty, or Dean. She's more like a Steve Austin, someone who you knew had all the tools but just needed to put them together and when they do, their work would exceed expectations Vince McMahon ever had for them.

• Like 6

Great show. Again. 

Becky might be the best babyface promo in the company, and Bliss didn't get outclassed at all. 

Miz and goddamn Ziggler had me jumping out of my chair at a near fall, and the spray~!

Usos are doing limb work right, and AA solidified their babyface cred. Love this feud. A team that decided they were going to cut every corner, vs a team that puts one another before winning. Maybe it's naive, but it's admirable. 

If there's still a corner of the wrestling fandom that doesn't appreciate Nikki... I mean, she worked her way back from a broken neck--when she certainly didn't need to wrestle again--in order to bump her ass off, week after week, to get Carmella over. And it's working! I want to see that match. Make it no DQ, Daniel.

Cena as the descending ace is as interesting as he's been in a long time, especially paired opposite Styles and Ambrose, who seem so hungry to take his spot, then redefine it. Ambrose on talking smack was amazing in getting this across. 

All of this is so... simple? And yeah, simple ain't easy, but they're making it look that way. 

Becky was basically awful on the mic in NXT with no character direction. It's a total 180 on the main roster in those two categories. SDL continues to smoke Raw. The Usos/Alpha match was yet another perfectly booked segment in the SDL tag division. Man Vince must be pretty salty after the part timer line on Cena last week, and the clean job this week. SDL doesn't have the greatest roster, but they are really showing what competent booking can do for a pro wrestling show.

It's amazing how many acts there are that I loved in NXT that I don't care much for on Raw. Meanwhile SDL has me marking out for Rhyno who is someone I never wanted to see again prior to showing up on SDL.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

As far as I know, they've only worked two previous singles matches. One was the first US title open challenge. The other was a contract on a pole match prior to HIAC 2014. 

Oh yeah that's right. Forgot about the Open match. It was just weird that they kept building it as the first time they ever fought.

I liked Renee's reaction when Dean said that even sometimes he didn't care what she thought about him which is a good throwaway line to people who don't know about their relationship but if you do, you take notice and it makes it seem like everything he's saying is real and not just something a writer wrote out for him.

• Like 3

I missed the first 15-20 due to some recording troubles. Found most of Becky & Alexa's segment, and that was some great stuff all around. Really dug what I saw of AA/Usos though I need to find this Gable promo people are talking about. The follow up backstage with the Usos & Slater/Rhyno was fun as well. This heel turn for the Usos has been a massive breath of fresh air. Corbin/Crews was nice while it lasted. Miz/Ziggler felt a little off at times, but was still good stuff on the whole. I'm pleased the Carmella/Nikki feud is leading to something different match wise for the women. I liked how Cea/Dean was going until they rushed into the finish. Was nice to see Ambrose get the victory. Ambrose was awesome on Talking Smack.

• Like 1