DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION!

DEAN

I'd argue marketplace confusion and that might have been easy. If someone says to you, "I'm going to the NWA show" or "there's an NWA show in town tonight," there's potential for confusion. Both are within the entertainment industry so it would have been easy to attack.

Crockett could have squashed them if he wanted. It's an easy case.

Unless...

*fantasy books 1987 version of No Limit Soldiers angle*

The NWA vs. The Four Horsemen would've resulted in fun promos at least.

I can only imagine the race baiting promod done by flair and ole.

Ole Anderson: [pokes Eazy-E in the chest] Now, you listen here, boy!  Back when your daddy was shining my shoes-

[Eazy-E pulls a snub nosed .357 magnum out of his jacket and shoots Ole in the stomach.  Jim Ross drops his microphone and runs as the Center Stage audience bolts for the exits in a blind panic, people screaming and trampling over each other. Flair, Barry Windham, Sid Viscious, and Arn Anderson try to run as well, but Yella, Dre, Cube, and Ren start pounding on them.  Ice Cube pulls a sawed-off AK-47 out of a gym bag and starts spraying bullets into the ceiling.]

Eazy-E: Say something else about my daddy, you racist mothafucker.  Say something!

[The "Technical Difficulties" graphic appears.]

• Like 8

Packing heat is about the only way NWA was doing anything to the Horsemen man...I mean, I know they were generally photographed to look menacing and all, but at the time NWA are a bunch of skinny teenagers led by a dude who's like 5'6"...let's not act like we're getting action movie star Ice Cube or post-Training Day roided up Dre in the late 80's...

Packing heat is about the only way NWA was doing anything to the Horsemen man...I mean, I know they were generally photographed to look menacing and all, but at the time NWA are a bunch of skinny teenagers led by a dude who's like 5'6"...let's not act like we're getting action movie star Ice Cube or post-Training Day roided up Dre in the late 80's...

Maybe they could have brought in ice-t and body count as back up.

I am waiting for Trump's WWE appearances to become political news fodder.

Listening to Bryan and Vinny, they mentioned something about the WWE calling their independent contractors employees on television. I know you can make all sorts of legal arguments about it being a tv show, but is there any way that could be used against the WWE involving their lawsuits over such issues?

Listening to Bryan and Vinny, they mentioned something about the WWE calling their independent contractors employees on television. I know you can make all sorts of legal arguments about it being a tv show, but is there any way that could be used against the WWE involving their lawsuits over such issues?

If no one's using the fact that WWE comes out and calls the wrestlers "actors" in their discretion advised warning for the WWE Network for SAG purposes, then I doubt them saying they're employees (which could be claimed in scripted sense) would.

I still can't believe that no one can get any leverage based on the fact that they are "independent contractors" in name only as far as I can tell.

You know how there are actors who make it, and you might wonder how or why? Their movies are bland, their acting is mediocre, they have never done anything that has enchanted you? Or maybe they are good actors, but you sort of take them for granted until they remind you how special they are as a talent? Then, they do something that makes you realize how talented they actually are; there is a revelatory force to their performance. For the latter, Val Kilmer playing Mark Twain on stage a couple years back is a perfect example. I forgot how wonderful that he could be until I saw that.

Anyway, Kofi Kingston must be the greatest pro wrestling example of that type of person to come down the pike in a long time. He turned heel with The New Day and immediately became amazing.

• Like 1

If no one's using the fact that WWE comes out and calls the wrestlers "actors" in their discretion advised warning for the WWE Network for SAG purposes, then I doubt them saying they're employees (which could be claimed in scripted sense) would.

Calling them "employees" in public is basically meaningless.  If Vince goes on TV and calls the wrestlers "shareholders", does that entitle the locker room to shares of stock?  Legally, they're independent contractors.  Though, yeah, I have no idea how that holds up in a court.

Well - this is happening

aFvcJ8g.png

I was gonna make a joke about how George Murdoch has been in TNA for about a year now, but still feels the need to use his old WWE name but I had to actually go to TNA's website to remember what his TNA name is. And I still watch Impact. TNA in a nutshell.

• Like 1

Exactly my reason for suggesting it. If Trevor Murdoch still wrestles, they can have some matches in the south over the honor of the family name.

I would watch it.

The only reason I'm weighing even buying is because I'm not entirely sure if NXT will ever go to Boston. 

(They're not going north of Boston so I'm not even considering that possibility)

Well TLC is in Boston in Dec and if they continue the theme of a Takeover every 4 months AND they pair the PPV with it....

NXT/TLC in Boston in December would be a dream weekend. 

Boston in December sounds like more of a nightmare than a dream...

Triple H said on the conference call today that they only plan to run Takeovers the night before WWE PPVs when it's a week long event ('Mania, SummerSlam). I can't think of any other PPVs that get that treatment. So, I kind of doubt you'll see a Takeover the night before TLC, unless they suddenly make TLC a week long event with activities. I think it's a part of Triple H's plan to piggyback Takeovers off big PPVs, just like other indies do.