DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

Didn't All Japan put a few guys in gimmicks that were Virtua Fighter characters?

There was a licensed AJPW for the Sega Saturn system that also featured two Virtua Fighter characters (Wolf Hawkfield and Jeffry McWild).  As a tie-in, AJPW had Jim Steele do the Wolf Hawkfield gimmick for a bit.

So far as I can remember, no one did the Jeffry gimmick in AJ.  Guess they couldn't find a rastafarian gaijin who looked the part.  Today, they would really roid Kofi Kingston up and give him the gimmick.

Edit: Big E could probably run with the gimmick.  A shame he's half as tall as Jeffry.  I also doubt he can throw a convincing roundhouse kick.

Jeffry McWild was based on Willie Williams, a karate fighter who wrestled Inoki, fought in RINGS and oddly, had a few appearances in late FMW.

No title shot for Cass and Enzo? They must be getting the call up soon. Charlotte/Bayley was terrific, and it looks like Joe is getting closer to being Joe again. I'm kinda meh on Owens/Balor being a ladder match. Most all of WWE gimmick matches have been crap this year.

No title shot for Cass and Enzo? 

Yeah, that bummed me out. 

This show had all sorts of good wrestling. Bálor is the most dull face around. Baron Corbin, Smirking Dickhead is a vast improvement and I enjoy his continue development. 

I liked Balor's promo tonight, it reminded me a lot of something Bret Hart would've done, he's improved a lot and is getting good. When your world champ is Seth Rollins, I don't really think the promos matter as much as they used to so he's more than fine. Aside from that, tonight's MVP was Regal, I love how he's really turning into Kermit from The Muppet Show.

Anyone else starting to hate the Bull Dempsey promos? They're trying to do like an 80's Memphis kinda deal but it's way too self aware.

No title shot for Cass and Enzo? They must be getting the call up soon. Charlotte/Bayley was terrific, and it looks like Joe is getting closer to being Joe again. I'm kinda meh on Owens/Balor being a ladder match. Most all of WWE gimmick matches have been crap this year.

Keeps either one from getting pinned.

Besides, they just got beat last week.  Why would they get the shot?

Loved the show this week.  Bayley/Charlotte was top notch, Mechanics continue to look awesome.  Actually like the dynamic of Mojo and Ryder.  The Liger package was just surreal.  Joe vs Rhyno main eventing a tiny soundstage in Florida always seems to be decent.

Fighting over a backslide like it's death, countering it into the Bayley to Belly... Avalanche Bayley to Belly. Charlotte's bad ass roll up into the turnbuckle... Christ this women's division is spectacular.

And the way Bayley connects is awesome.

I wonder if Brooklyn is the right place for the Bayley win. It's so loud in coming but you have to think that particular crowd will be nuts for Sasha.

Sasha will get a huge pop but Bayley's appeal will still win out. Bayley is in that Sami Zayn/Daniel Bryan mold that she can't get boo'd. I'd still like to see this match main event Takeover. Let Balor/Owens have the old school WWF house show main event in the middle of the card match.

• Like 2

Really fun show this week; great women's match and the future of NXT tag division is looking really bright again.

So... Uhaa is Xavier Woods' cousin?

(Very intrigue as to who the Vaudevillians will bring in to counter Bliss... crazy guess: Trish?)

I'm glad they're making Balor/Owens a ladder match.  I'm a little tired of the typical, 2-count finisher kickout style match that is great but overplayed lately and we're going to get at least one of them at Summer Slam, so it will be refreshing to see these two work a different match.

I love Bayley.  As mentioned, her interaction with the little girl is what this is all about.  This was my favorite Bayley match so far, I felt it was put together very well and both belly-to-bayley's came from a good place and were well-executed.

I too was worried a bit last night about the reaction from the Brooklyn/smart crowd to Sasha-Bayley but in addition to Bayley's connection I also have faith in Sasha being able to generate a heel reaction.  She can do so much with her character that I think she can turn the crowd if needed.

Rest of the show was very good, again.  

It's tricky. I think a straight up Brooklyn crowd would be more pro-Sasha, but you have a lot of travelling people. On the other hand, a lot of those travelling people are extremely invested in Sasha right now for non-geographic reasons. 

I'd say the way to go is have her cut a dark promo playing up her Massachusetts background to get the cheap heat for at least a portion of the crowd and that should be enough to at least split things. 

I think you'll have a split crowd followed by a huge pop for the title change. This may be bitter smart fan central, but they immediately become sniveling marks once a title changes hands.

• Like 3

Charlotte screaming "YOU MADE ME DO THIS TO YOU!" when she had Bayley in the head scissors was awesome. That really nailed their whole run as rivals together. Bayley idolized her. Charlotte turned on her when the BFFs presented themselves as a better option. Charlotte became the dominant woman's champion. Bayley wanted and then won her respect. They had an on-again/off-again partnership where Charlotte would stick up for Bayley when she ran into trouble. But Bayley could never win the big one. Until last night, when she knew how to win: Avoid the Figure 8 (by reversing before Charlotte can bridge) and throw everything she knows how to do and hope to hit a big bomb. She finally beat the person she looked up to the most.

Up next: Becky. I wish NXT was building up the prospect of "Becky vs. Sasha II" while the Bayley story was going on. That would have been pretty epic. Who gets the ultimate shot at redemption? The world traveler who was in the best woman's match in WWE history against her former partner and won our hearts in the process? Or the lovable underdog who hasn't found a way to win the big one who was stabbed in the back by the world traveler who used her good nature to get ahead?

But still, I love the whole "Can Bayley Run The Table" story. I wish that was the main event. The woman's division is the heart-and-soul of NXT and has become the #DivasRevolution. (With apologies to Sami Zayn.) Bayley defying the odds and beating all three of her rivals is epic.

I don't care too much about Owens/Finn. I did love Owens and Cole's sit-down. But Finn's thing was a total snooze. Their feud doesn't have anything beyond "I want a rematch!" The interesting part of it is the underlying KO vs. Regal stuff.