DVDVR Message Board

2015 HOF Thread

EdA

• 4 weeks later...

So based on the reports coming out today it looks like Cooperstown will be having 5 new members by this time tomorrow.

Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz, Craig Biggio and Mike Piazza

Usually the published ballots have more guys getting in than actually get in.

Based on the totals - I would say Unit, Pedro and Smoltz are the locks with Biggio and Piazza on the bubble (especially Piazza since he is only on 78% of the published ballots)

549 ballots submitted, 412 required for election. One ballot was blank.

Randy Johnson 534 (97.3)

Pedro Martinez 500 (91.1)

John Smoltz 455 (82.9)

Craig Biggio 454 (82.7)

----------------------------------

Mike Piazza 384 (69.9)

Jeff Bagwell 306 (55.7)

Tim Raines 302 (55.0)

Curt Schilling 215 (39.2) 

Roger Clemens 206 (37.5)

Barry Bonds 202 (36.8)

Lee Smith 166 (30.2)

Edgar Martinez 148 (27.0)

Alan Trammell 138 (25.1)

Mike Mussina 135 (24.6)

Jeff Kent 77 (14.0)

Fred McGriff 71 (12.9)

Larry Walker 65 (11.8)

Gary Sheffield 64 (11.7)

Mark McGwire 55 (10.0)

Don Mattingly 50 (9.1)

Sammy Sosa 36 (6.6)

Nomar Garciaparra 30 (5.5)

--------------------------------------

Carlos Delgado 21 (3.8)

Troy Percival 4 (0.7)

Aaron Boone 2 (0.4)

Tom Gordon 2 (0.4)

Darin Erstad 1 (0.2)

Rich Aurilia 0

Tony Clark 0

Jermaine Dye 0

Cliff Floyd 0

Brian Giles 0

Eddie Guardado 0

Jason Schmidt 0

Isn't Raines' time almost up?  Piazza & Bags not getting in is criminal, especially since both were clean - in any provable sense of the word.

Big Mac headed towards the exit also makes me lol 

I'm happy to see Craig Biggio get in. He should have been in last year. I hope Mike Piazza gets in next year. I hate the PED witch hunt keeping guys like Piazza and Jeff Bagwell out. There was never any proof linking them, so they shouldn't be punished as if there was.

Griffey is the only surefire guy to be added to the vote next year so that'll probably be Piazza and Bagwell's best chance to get in.  Also now that Schilling has a lot less top pitchers above him on the ballot will probably increase his numbers next year.  But it looks like the veteran committee in a few years will have a lot more top quality names to be voted on in a few years instead of just keep on voting on the same group of fringe HOF'ers.

Voting for Tom Gordon or Darrin Erstad should get your BBWAA membership revoked.

These are why I personally would hope for a 5 percent rule for the BBWAA Hall of Fame voters instead: If you voted for someone who got below 5 percent of the ballot, you have to write an article defending why you voted for them and giving the reasoning that brought you to that point...and if you abstain for explaining why, you lose your ballot for next year. (if you do explain why, you don't lose the ballot).  All articles would then be released in a book at the same time of the Hall of Fame ceremony the next year.

This wouldn't be to shame the voters- but if you're a baseball fan, wouldn't you kind of WANT to read that book each year to find out why behind these votes? All it ends up that way is one last chance to remember these players before they officially get stricken to history forever...and really, that's what the Hall of Fame's all about, right?

• Like 1

Isn't Raines' time almost up?  Piazza & Bags not getting in is criminal, especially since both were clean - in any provable sense of the word.

Big Mac headed towards the exit also makes me lol 

Raines has two more years

Next year is Alan Trammell's 15th and last year. He and Lee Smith (along with Mattingly who this was his last year) were grandfathered in when they dropped from 15 years to 10.

Voting for Tom Gordon or Darrin Erstad should get your BBWAA membership revoked.

These are why I personally would hope for a 5 percent rule for the BBWAA Hall of Fame voters instead: If you voted for someone who got below 5 percent of the ballot, you have to write an article defending why you voted for them and giving the reasoning that brought you to that point...and if you abstain for explaining why, you lose your ballot for next year. (if you do explain why, you don't lose the ballot).  All articles would then be released in a book at the same time of the Hall of Fame ceremony the next year.

This wouldn't be to shame the voters- but if you're a baseball fan, wouldn't you kind of WANT to read that book each year to find out why behind these votes? All it ends up that way is one last chance to remember these players before they officially get stricken to history forever...and really, that's what the Hall of Fame's all about, right?

I love this idea.  I'd like the same thing for anybody who does NOT vote for a 90% guy.

Griffey is the only surefire guy to be added to the vote next year so that'll probably be Piazza and Bagwell's best chance to get in.  Also now that Schilling has a lot less top pitchers above him on the ballot will probably increase his numbers next year.  But it looks like the veteran committee in a few years will have a lot more top quality names to be voted on in a few years instead of just keep on voting on the same group of fringe HOF'ers.

Poz had a good article a little while ago about how its nearly impossible for anyone to get in through the Veteran's Committee. Doesn't leave me much hope that more than 1 or 2 of the players heading there in the next few years will get in.

http://joeposnanski.com/joeblogs/the-veterans-committee-and-bad-math/

I love this idea.  I'd like the same thing for anybody who does NOT vote for a 90% guy.

I used to also agree that the same should be done if you do not vote for a 90% guy, but that'd invariably fail since most people who don't vote for a 90% guy come right out and say the reason is either strategic "Yeah, I know this guy's a Hall of Famer by any means too, but there's so many deserving guys on the ballot right now and only ten slots available, so I'd rather be the guy who doesn't vote for this guy so I can keep this other deserving Hall of Famer from dipping below 5% and being knocked off" votes, or navel gazing "Waaah, Babe Ruth didn't get 100% so that means no one should ever ever ever ever ever get 100% neither!" or "Waaaah there were actually people who used steroids in baseball during their career and so that means everyone everywhere is guilty until proven innocent, and even THEN they're still guilty, so I'll never ever vote for no one!" bullshit- and either way, doing this would only feed the trolls.