DVDVR Message Board

2015 HOF Thread

EdA

One guy has come out and said the reason he didn't vote for Pedro is that he lost his ballot and forgot to vote but...wouldn't have voted for him anyway because he was a "punk" who dominated the Cleveland Indians.

Also - Schilling in his diatribe said that Smoltz got in because he was a Democrat

And John Smoltz is most certainly not a Dem

God do I hate that special little wackado

Aww, poor albino goober. I assume he has no clue that the vast majority of all athletes are Republican.

God if hating Schilling is wrong, I don't want to be right.

• Like 2

One guy has come out and said the reason he didn't vote for Pedro is that he lost his ballot and forgot to vote but...wouldn't have voted for him anyway because he was a "punk" who dominated the Cleveland Indians.

The fact that this person had a ballot in the first place, and the Hall of Fame doesn't do like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and open one ballot to fan voting (top ten vote-getters OR anyone who gets more than 75% of the fan ballot get on the fans' ballot, whichever is higher) is living proof the HOF is broken.

Sooo...Anyone remember Bill James' The Politics of Glory?

Vaguely here, too.  Anyhoo...in it James made predictions for the HOF classes through 2019.  Anyway, it was written in 1994 and hindsight being 20/20 and all but...this is not pretty.

1995 — Mike Schmidt, Jim Rice
1996 — Don Sutton, Pete Rose
1997 — Steve Garvey, Phil Niekro
1998 — Gary Carter, Al Oliver
1999 — Nolan Ryan, George Brett
2000 — Robin Yount, Carlton Fisk
2001 — Andre Dawson, Dave Winfield
2002 — Eddie Murray, Ozzie Smith
2003 — Dave Parker, Jim Kaat
2004 — Dennis Eckersley, Ted Simmons
2005 — Wade Boggs, Cal Ripken Jr.
2006 — Rickey Henderson, Paul Molitor
2007 — Tony Gwynn, Roger Clemens
2008 — Kirby Puckett, Dale Murphy
2009 — Jack Morris, Lee Smith
2010 — Tim Raines, Ryne Sandberg
2011 — Barry Bonds, Joe Carter
2012 — Brett Butler, David Cone
2013 — Alan Trammell, Lou Whitaker
2014 — Goose Gossage, Don Mattingly
2015 — Jack McDowell, Greg Maddux
2016 — Fred McGriff, Dwight Gooden
2017 — Frank Thomas, Ruben Sierra
2018 — Ken Griffey Jr., Roberto Alomar
2019 — Jeff Bagwell, Juan Gonzalez

Aww, poor albino goober. I assume he has no clue that the vast majority of all athletes are Republican.

God if hating Schilling is wrong, I don't want to be right.

In a roundabout way, he might be sort of right.  Except he didn't lose votes for being Republican.  He lost votes for being a Republican jerk.  But he didn't lose enough to keep him out, that much I'm sure of.

Sooo...Anyone remember Bill James' The Politics of Glory?

Vaguely here, too.  Anyhoo...in it James made predictions for the HOF classes through 2019.  Anyway, it was written in 1994 and hindsight being 20/20 and all but...this is not pretty.

What's wrong with it? 7/10 for the first 5 years, with one of the 3 he missed on being Pete Rose. 7/10 for the second 5 years. 6/10 for years 11-15. It falls off after that, but that's hardly an indictment given he's now projecting from very limited data on a player.

Yeah, I was talking more about the Butler, Joe Carter, Steve Garvey and Al Oliver picks more than anything.

As Rippa and I were going through the list we giggled at the horrible picks we would have had in 94 if we were making a list like that.  

Then again, we are not Bill James.

Also - Schilling in his diatribe said that Smoltz got in because he was a Democrat

Here's that liberal pinko Smoltz's political contributions for the curious. And then there's this.

In 2004 Braves pitcher John Smoltz, criticizing the possible legalization of gay marriage, told an Associated Press reporter, “What’s next, marrying an animal?”

Here's that liberal pinko Smoltz's political contributions for the curious. And then there's this.

In 2004 Braves pitcher John Smoltz, criticizing the possible legalization of gay marriage, told an Associated Press reporter, “What’s next, marrying an animal?”

After a comment like that, Smoltz should have never been allowed to speak about anything not related to baseball.

Yeah, I was talking more about the Butler, Joe Carter, Steve Garvey and Al Oliver picks more than anything.

As Rippa and I were going through the list we giggled at the horrible picks we would have had in 94 if we were making a list like that.  

Then again, we are not Bill James.

And Jack Mcdowell. . . .

Sorry, Mariner fans. Randy Johnson is going into the HOF with a D-Backs hat.

Hey, at least you all get Griffey Jr next year.

That's fair. He won a title there, threw a perfect game there and didn't intentionally tank half a season there.

He did play a bunch of years in Cincy, even if he was injured half the time and relatively(for him) pretty shitty the rest of the time. . .:)