DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania Triple X! - Thread 2

Dolfan in NYC

You know, the immediate reaction to Taker losing is a legit top 2 WWE moment for me. Just the absolute shock, disbelief and anger is truly what pro wrestling aspires to achieve. The reason it's number 2 is because the pop when Batista tapped out is my favourite moment ever. That place fucking ERUPTED and the main event was brilliant. HHH and Steph's involvement kicked everything into over time, Orton worked his ass off, the table spot was great and Bryan struggling off the stretcher had every man, woman and child in that place on their feet. The wait was totally worth it.

I got to see the guy that I first saw in 2003 in Philadelphia's Murphy Rec Center win the title in the main event at WrestleMania.

I got to see Brock Lesnar break The Streak.

I got to see Claudio Castagnoli's WWE breakout moment.

I got to see The Shield squash the New Age Outlaws.

I got to see Mark Crozer & The Rels play Bray Wyatt to the ring.

All for $9.99. What a fucking deal!

• Like 7

I honestly thought there was a screw-up at the end of Taker-Lesnar. No bell, the announcers went dead silent with the crowd, Lesnar himself looked confused, and then Taker seemed unable to put any weight on his right knee when he finally got up. I almost convinced myself Taker blew out his knee and they called an audible. Absolutely perfectly played by everyone.

• Like 1

Up until Cena winning, that might have been the most feel good Mania ever. Cena winning was fine but it was a little flat. I liked the match though, because Wyatt sort of had his number so long as Cena was losing it and not rising above hate, but he made the mistake of going to the ultimate traditional WWE heel move, the chinlock, and by doing so, Cena's innate babyface power reawoken in him and he hulked up.

• Like 2

Had Taker always wanted the streak to end in the hands of a legitimate tough guy? When was that face off at that UFC event where he asked Brock if he "wanted to do it"?

Crazy crazy result, match was slow paced with Taker going at his last legs gimmick whole hog. I personally would have loved to see the rumoured Sting match and this shocking moment.

BRYAN: AWESOME. Orton and Batista bought the goods as did Triple H, second only to Bryan as the star of this show. HHH is so f'n good

Wyatt match, not so awesome.

Shield squash great. Shield + gangbanger masks DAMN great.

I don't have the network and missed the tag match so I can't comment on that.

HHH came out dressed like General Kael from Willow.  Match was shorter than I thought it would be and Bryan won a lot easier than I thought he would.

Shield squash was fun and exactly what it needed to be.  JBL's soundbyte about "there goes the attitude era" was great.

I've always been a battle royal fan ever since those random ones they'd have on the Coliseum Videos so this was enjoyable.  Cesaro looked like a boss at the end and I'm glad they went with him winning.

The Wyatts had one of the best entrances I can remember.  The match itself was great from a storytelling point of view and while I'm no fan of Cena I have no problem with him winning as the Wyatts still looked strong.

The Undertaker has been one of my favorite wrestlers for over 20 years so I'm not trying to take a dig at him when I say he didn't look good at all in this match.  While I was watching it I never thought he would actually lose, but did think that he really should hang it up sometime soon before he gets into Flair or Foley territory.  Taker's loss didn't bother me in and of itself, but it just seemed so anticlimactic and out of nowhere, especially since the crowd seemed apathetic for most of the match.  Afterwards there was just stunned silence from everyone there.  The announce team even did a great job selling it as if they were genuninely stunned.  I really hope he makes a retirement announcement tomorrow night.

Speaking of the crowd, did the audience seem to be miked really low to anyone else?  There were times when the crowd was clearly popping, but that much noise just didn't come through.

Orton's theme music is even more awful when done live.  The main event was decent, but I was expecting them to go the whole Karate Kid finish angle right after the HHH match with Bryan's medical clearance being suspect for the main event. It was booked well and sent everyone home happy.

All in all, this was an excellent show.  I barely watched WWE from 04-10/11 or so but have slowly been getting back into it and stunned at how solid their in-ring product is these days.  This is probably one of the few times I've actually been optomistic about the future.

The legends bits all cracked me up, too.

Amazing show. I'll go into what i thought about everything later, but it was everything I hoped it would be and then some.

I will say this for now. WWE, 40-some years later, finally has its modern equivelant of the night Ivan Koloff beat Bruno in the Garden.

• Like 2

Unless Bray Wyatt was doing something I really didn't give a poop about that match. Every time John Cena tried to not be a monster, I rolled my eyes.

There was one moment where he overcame his demons and the crowd booed and I wanted him to really fucking lose it and yell "WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM MEEEEEEEEE?!" And then go crazy... but nah. We can't get what we want all the time.

• Like 3

There's complaints I have about this show, but I kept saying to my friend, "Can you believe we're only paying 10 bucks for this?"

The tag title match was great and made all four teams look badass, and the Real Americans breakup happened at the right time.

Hogan/Austin/Rock: Who the fuck didn't enjoy this?

Bryan/HHH: MotN, IMO.

Battle Royal: Clusterfucky, as all battle royals are, but I particularly enjoyed Kofi's escape spot, and marked the fuck out at Cesaro's lift and slam of Show.

Shield squash: Y'know, on the one hand, I'd like to have seen a longer Shield match, but all told, I'm ok with this. The Shield went out and just crushed the old dudes. It was entertaining as hell.

Cena/Wyatt: I hated the finish, (I'm fine with Cena conquering demons and eventually winning out, but it should have been dragged out to SummerSlam. Cena should have lost his shit and started bashing the Wyatts with that chair,) but the match was amazing.

Brock/Taker: I was shocked like everyone, but in retrospect, it feels like the right thing. It wasn't a particularly great match, and I think Taker just knows he doesn't have enough left in the tank to keep going as he has. Mourn the end of an era, but celebrate what an amazing run it was. And you know Taker demanded that he be allowed to go out the right way.

Divas match: It was the divas match. The sprint aspect meant we didn't have long sequences with one person, albeit probably the most memorable thing that happened was Cameron's wardrobe malfunction. And the only one in there anyone cares that much about won.

Main Event: I figured that after the Streak ending, there was no way Bryan COULDN'T win, and I was right, but damn if they didn't keep me guessing right up until the end. I thought for sure Batista had it after Orton ate the knee. For once, the fuckery they booked actually helped the match's story.

• Like 1

Not to be a negative nancy, but I wish they didn't do that table spot tonight. It looked horrible and disgusting.  Orton fell back first onto a monitor and basically crushed it.  You can see it caved in after they hit the floor.  Just seemed like an unnecessary spot.  

All that aside, it was a good show.  I'm glad the tag title match got so much time even though it was on the pre-show.  I was happy to see Cesaro have a big coming out party tonight between breaking off from the Real Americans and then winning the Battle Royal with that awesome spot.

The end of Taker/Lesnar was shocking, so I guess good on WWE there.  I got to be honest, I never had this emotional connection to the streak that fans did because it was starting to become ridiculous.  I thought Taker's last two matches with Triple H were dull and boring.  This wasn't so bad, but honestly I hope Undertaker retires now.  He looked in horrible shape tonight and looks like he shouldn't be in the ring anymore.  

HHH/Bryan had a good match and I'm glad it opened the show instead of putting it right before the main event.  I recall Vengeance 2001 when they put Rock/Jericho right before the main event and thought that was the dumbest move possible and didn't the main event the attention and time it deserved.  

Hey, glad Bryan got his moment and they put him over big time tonight.  Hope they don't screw him over again tomorrow.

Orton's landing was one of the worst things I've ever seen in wrestling. Obviously he wasn't supposed to land on the monitor. I thought he was crippled. He was cut up from that but they did a good job not showing it. 

Brock sort of feels like a King of the Ring winner to me now. I just hope they keep him away from Bryan until Summerslam.

The Triple H entrance was awesome. So was the match. I wonder if Bret Hart thought it was his first great match.

Glad to see them getting behind Cesaro. 

Shield squash match was a pleasant surprise. 

Turns out the build up to Undertaker and Lesnar was done right considering the result. There comes a point when you protect your opponent so much that it is ridiculous to even do the move. That tombstone piledriver was a good example of this.

Cena winning was the right move but of course there will be a lot of whining. Because of the people that pay money to see him don't count for some reason. At least the WWE keeps them in mind.

Biggest surprise to me in the main event was who tapped.

• Like 1

I know a lot of people will say the same but getting to see Bryan Danielson, the guy who I bought countless amounts of ROH dvds for just to see him on them, close out Wrestlemania 30 is fucking incredible.

• Like 4

Jack Swagger and Ryback were really good in the Tag match. Axel had a couple of good bits, but I'd say those two were the standouts.

Thank fuck for Randy Orton gluing that Triple Threat together, too. His performance will probably get overlooked, but he really made that match a good bout.

I think the WWE is trolling me with that Yoshi Tatsu elmination. No sooner do I yell "HOLY SHIT IT'S YOSHI TATSU" does he got tossed out to the floor. Then to add insult to injury Jerry Lawler makes a racist asian joke about 3MB.

Not to be a negative nancy, but I wish they didn't do that table spot tonight. It looked horrible and disgusting.  Orton fell back first onto a monitor and basically crushed it.  You can see it caved in after they hit the floor.  Just seemed like an unnecessary spot.  

All that aside, it was a good show.  I'm glad the tag title match got so much time even though it was on the pre-show.  I was happy to see Cesaro have a big coming out party tonight between breaking off from the Real Americans and then winning the Battle Royal with that awesome spot.

The end of Taker/Lesnar was shocking, so I guess good on WWE there.  I got to be honest, I never had this emotional connection to the streak that fans did because it was starting to become ridiculous.  I thought Taker's last two matches with Triple H were dull and boring.  This wasn't so bad, but honestly I hope Undertaker retires now.  He looked in horrible shape tonight and looks like he shouldn't be in the ring anymore.  

HHH/Bryan had a good match and I'm glad it opened the show instead of putting it right before the main event.  I recall Vengeance 2001 when they put Rock/Jericho right before the main event and thought that was the dumbest move possible and didn't the main event the attention and time it deserved.  

Hey, glad Bryan got his moment and they put him over big time tonight.  Hope they don't screw him over again tomorrow.

Buzz_Killington.jpg

Got everything that mattered spoiled for me by a variety of sites that have nothing to do with pro wres. So I'll watch it eventually but otherwise I'm just glad they made the right calls with most of the matches.

Gutted I'll never see the Taker loss with clean eyes though.

I guess I am in the vast minority because I thought this WrestleMania was just ok. I am a little surprised that Hulk Hogan's Silverdome botch and recovery is not getting more love.

HHH/Bryan was slow and plodding, although I enjoyed the shoulder work.

I liked the story they were trying tobtell but disliked the finish to the Bray/Cena match. Why did Cena need to go over?

Brock vs Taker was terrible until the finish. Taker really looked like an old man. The powerbomb was awful. Lesnar's head was a foot away from hitting the mat during the tombstone. However, the stunned silence from the crowd made the match all worth it.

The battle royal was okay and I was glad to see Cesaro get the win. Hopefully they go full force with the babyface turn.

The main event was boring. I nearly fell asleep.

Loved the show and I'd rank it among the best WMs ever.  The only match I didn't care for was Cena-Wyatt, but everything else was good to outstanding.

Definitely felt like a changing of the guard type show with Taker losing, HHH getting wiped out with his own weapon, and Kane and the Outlaws getting annihilated.

That crowd reaction to Taker-Lesnar was absolutely surreal. 

• Like 1