DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 4/10 - 4/16/2024 - Julia Hart of (Real) Glass

The answer to the Frankie Lancaster question will be someone you can't remember right now. You won't know who the Frankie Lancaster is until the next time you watch the show and go "Oh shit that guy's been here a while, why didn't I think of him?"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

The answer to the Frankie Lancaster question will be someone you can't remember right now. You won't know who the Frankie Lancaster is until the next time you watch the show and go "Oh shit that guy's been here a while, why didn't I think of him?"

I think there is an episode of What Happened When recently where Frankie Lancaster runs out as one of the extras to break something up or he's in like a random match. It led to this exchange.

Tony: I think that's Frankie Lancaster.

Conrad:.....Who the fuck is Frankie Lancaster?!

8 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Matt Sydal.

I was thinking him for a minute, but he’s too flashy. Tangentially, I am a little confused by his recent spate of appearances. And Daniels for that matter as well. Both very good wrestlers and I suppose their names make them credible jobbers, but I’d rather have guys like Silver and Reynolds.

Then again, they’ve decided to bring back Anthony Ogogo after 2 years where no one even remembered or cared that he was gone.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Lancaster was around a LONG time in the business. Not Chick Donovan lifer long, but a good amount of time. He was Frank/Frankie Lane in the territory days (mainly Florida, but stints in Memphis, World Class, Mid Atlantic, Georgia, Mid South and UWF, Puerto Rico, and Continental). He also got to tag with Curt Hennig in All Japan. He did various stints with WCW. However, he did a bunch of enhancement matches on Saturday Night and Worldwide and other syndicated shows. 

Lancaster is one those guys who was the definition of a vanilla wrestler down to the name. Good hand though.

I didnt learn until a couple years after first seeing him  that was Terry Funks name in Paradise Alley. 

• Like 1

If anyone is looking for those 2 Shane Taylor chops, sync up when the bell rings and go 2mins44 ahead, it's just into picture in picture. He's known for his chops but damn the acoustics must be crazy there because it sounds like a whip-crack 😂.

15 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Looking at the reaction in Chicago tonight....Looks like the footage helped Jack Perry.  So what do I know...  

I didn’t see the full match but off of clips it looked wild 

2 minutes ago, Octopus said:

I didn’t see the full match but off of clips it looked wild 

6000+ fans in Chicago mind you, actively shitting on Punk and going crazy for the whole troll job.  Can't say I expected to see that but that's wrestling.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AxB said:

The Copyright striking of AEW (and CMLL) didn't come from AEW. There's a guy on twitter who likes to copyright claim things for no apparent reason. He did the same thing a couple of years ago and the IWC blamed Aubrey Edwards because misogynists gotta misogyny. 

The Aubrey bit is exactly what you said but... the fact they removed the footage from their own youtube vid would require the copyright strikes not coming from inside the house to be one hell of a coincidence.

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

6000+ fans in Chicago mind you, actively shitting on Punk and going crazy for the whole troll job.  Can't say I expected to see that but that's wrestling.

CM Punk is truly the best thing that ever happened to this dude.

• Like 3

Orange Cassidy vs Alex Reynolds,  that was good. But then they were familiar opponents from the North East indies over there, so it's hardly surprising. Leyla and Julia barely got going when Julia's shoulder went, so they did a small package out o'nowhere to wrap it up in just a couple of minutes. That's harsh on Hirsch. Cool Hand Ang was positioned to get the aggrieved babyface win, but he's too low ranked and had no backup. Zak "I'm Saraya's brother, not the one from the movie, a different one" Knight acted like he was going to do the "I'll lick up your blood" spot, but he just wiped it on his chest. Tony Schiavone not knowing about the British Commonwealth was unfortunate. Rat Boy Jay White faking a knee injury early and then targeting Sydal's knee, that's logical strategically, but then Sydal's comeback is going to be kicks and flying moves (because that's his offence). So he's not actually going to be selling the leg damage... it's a hallmark of WWE style. You target a body part to take offence away, but it doesn't actually take their offence away, so it makes the look limbwork ineffective. And then he hits the Blade Runner out of nowhere and get the pin. Well, at least he was on offence for more than half of the bout so everyone who hated him selling for Billy Gunn would have liked this one.

• Like 5

Yeah that was a go-home rollup. Her arm was fucked and she knew it. 

I just kinda... didn't... watch... either the open or the main. Knight looks good; Ange was... well, not. He couldn't really even bleed right. Kinda feel bad how I treated this one so I might go back go give it the full REPORT.

• Like 1

Ange bled brilliantly in that one Blood and Guts match. Although I suppose as a wrestler, if you're going to hit a gusher, you'd rather do it in a bigtime match like that, rather than on Rampage, vs a relative nobody.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Hope Julia Hart's okay. Doesn't look it as her shoulder was already taped up before the match and she was really favouring it during/after.

Julia v Leyla was going pretty well there. I missed the spot, and just thought it was a flat finish. Here's hoping she can at least do a quick squash for Willowmania. OC v Reynolds was a fair opener. It's been long (or sporadic) enough that I was happy to hear Jericho back on the call. Really liked the post match Trent/Chuck/OC angle. I find myself invested in the results. Hoping for a Taylor heel turn. And return of the obnoxious future heel star Chuck Taylor from his early career. I sometimes wonder what Taylor's career had been like if Heyman still had the book of a Northeast Indy in the early aughts. I liked the Anna Jay/AZM promo. Could've benefitted an 'AZM' graphic. Anna should be repping on the mic, she's already pretty alright. The Don Callis family promo was another gift from the great orator of true north strong and free chicanery. Don is absolutely incredible! Loved Don getting all excited about the pulling the eye out thing, and Fletcher having a laugh. Well placed. Also loved Don giving Hobbs a chop to a no sell. This promo was the highlight of the week on any channel. The Callis Family/Danielson video was also very well done. I read some shitslinging towards it, but I thought Zak Knight v Cool Hand was pretty alright. Knight has some raw tools that I've been impressed with each time out. I could see heel Jericho aligning himself with the likes of Knight, his remarkable Sis and the excellence of comedy execution Harley Cameron. Those ladies deserve managerial positions further up the card. There's no reason why Ruby wouldn't make a run-in. Instead more 'cringe', as they too often say, melodrama. Ugh. I really liked the Rocky/Kyle/Roddy promo. Nicely done to set the table of a few weeks of TV. Jay White v Matt Sydal was a nice showcase. Sydal may not have enough credibility to hold the audience's attention, but he's undeniabley a wonderful hand. Tho...

5 hours ago, AxB said:

Rat Boy Jay White faking a knee injury early and then targeting Sydal's knee, that's logical strategically, but then Sydal's comeback is going to be kicks and flying moves (because that's his offence). So he's not actually going to be selling the leg damage... it's a hallmark of WWE style. You target a body part to take offence away, but it doesn't actually take their offence away, so it makes the look limbwork ineffective. 

It's awfully true. Still, as a showcase for White, arguably a bit long, but mostly enjoyed by me. That said, the finish could've used a bit more sauce on the top rope reverse into the switchblade. Never a fan of he's not even doing an actual top rope maneuver into that reversal. I marvel each time out at the spectacular White/Asses. Terrific entrance music. More good hip hop please. It wouldn't be a bad idea to show a few more highlights and recaps of this show - especially on Collision each week. Some of the promos here were pretty significant. In particular, it's a shame so many will miss this glorious 'Like they used to do in Portland' Don Callis promo. Rampage is mostly been a ton of fun lately, and if you suffer similarily it's great for Saturday Morning Wrestling fever. Viva AEDubbya!

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

Knight vs Parker was worked with a lot of bells and whistles (pre match ambush, blood, interference, valets getting removed, low blow, lots of late match kickouts). It just feels like something from another reality though.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Ange bled brilliantly in that one Blood and Guts match. Although I suppose as a wrestler, if you're going to hit a gusher, you'd rather do it in a bigtime match like that, rather than on Rampage, vs a relative nobody.

That was one of the coolest visuals of the match. Him trying to escape with his face completely red and the just dangling upside down. Trapped and defeated. 

• Like 3

Well, me and the little dude will be there at Collision tonight. Should be really close to the stage for entrances but off the floor. Grabbed some cheap tickets that just opened up. Looking forward to it!

• Like 7

Weird things I notice watching wrestling: Julia got a new tattoo, new enough that she was wrestling with a square of protective film over it.  I just got a new one this week, first one in a few years, and had never seen the film before that 🤣

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

As someone with no tattoos... would it hurt to take bumps on it? 😂

It feels like a bad sunburn for an hour or two after getting it done, but after that, no.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Weird things I notice watching wrestling: Julia got a new tattoo, new enough that she was wrestling with a square of protective film over it.  I just got a new one this week, first one in a few years, and had never seen the film before that 🤣

I had that shit on one of my 16 tattoos, and I hated it - hurt to remove and seemed so unnecessary. I'm and old school "light washing and lots of A+D" prescriber and it hasn't failed me yet. 

• Like 2