DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 4/10 - 4/16/2024 - Julia Hart of (Real) Glass

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Also,  Will Ospreay.  I'm not mad at him going at Triple H in that promo.

I think it was the wrong week to do so as it really added to the whole "jeez AEW cares more about what's going on in WWE Land than their own" feel of things they had going tonight.

Anyways hopefully AEW realize this was a moronic week and learn from it.

• Like 1

Punk was not right to put his hands on Jack Perry. No matter how dumb this angle is, he's not right. The idea that he gets his name chanted for that shit bothers me more than Tony and the Bucks airing the footage.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

Okay, some questions for the folks who have been following...

This Chris Jericho/Hook story... Is it basically about how Jericho is old, and trying to be relevant by latching on to young and cool talent... Because he looked so pathetic apologizing to Hook, and I kinda love this as an actual story. "Sorry Hook baby, that was my fault, please don't leave me or no one will care about ol' Lionheart anymore."

for how goofy the "Kassius Ohno" name is... I guess Chris Hero lived the "oh no" part of that name in the All-In footage.

Anyways, even with your avid AEW-first super fans... how surprised should we be that fans are chanting the name of a guy who is a face on WWE TV when you're running this angle in West Virginia, a place that AEW hasn't run for like 4 years.. (and hey, the Bucks are heels too and using this against a babyface FTR team)

2 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

for how goofy the "Kassius Ohno" name is... I guess Chris Hero lived the "oh no" part of that name in the All-In footage.

Anyways, even with your avid AEW-first super fans... how surprised should we be that fans are chanting the name of a guy who is a face on WWE TV when you're running this angle in West Virginia, a place that AEW hasn't run for like 4 years.. (and hey, the Bucks are heels too and using this against a babyface FTR team)

I'm not surprised. Just disappointed.

/dad-mode

It's more about Jericho wanting to teach Hook, but with Hook being wary of Jericho based on Jericho's past of turning on his partners.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

This is all exhausting and stupid and a waste of time. Do you know what would make me want to watch another big FTR/Bucks match? They have a natural rivalry and now there’s a new dynamic with the awesome new Bucks EVP personas that can use to pull rank against the old-school FTR dudes who will fight fire with fire. Not something with friggin’ CM Punk. Work-shoot stuff is the same to me as referencing a local sports team for cheap heel heat. There’s no art or craft to any of this at all in terms of storytelling.

TK just needs to stop with thinking this is good. Just do what you do well (have good matches with a lot of variety) with fun characters. Whether angles work or not is always going be to hit and miss with any wrestling company. 

But this isn’t doing anything for anyone. It overshadows absolutely everything else on the show that was probably worth checking out. It reeks of desperation. And it is all so easy to just avoid.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Punk was not right to put his hands on Jack Perry. No matter how dumb this angle is, he's not right. The idea that he gets his name chanted for that shit bothers me more than Tony and the Bucks airing the footage.

Sure, but if you believe the sheets, Perry was egging it on with “why don’t you do something about it?” and whatnot. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Everything fucking sucks

The price for the former is $200 and $65 for the latter....

...uh according to the ladies of the evening.

• Haha 3

Elsalvajeloco you just made me finally look up what the term 'half and half' means, thanks! 

"WHAT IS HIS DEAL" and "I LIKE YOUR NECKLACE" from Shibata's phone 😄 Not quite hitting on Renee ("I LIKE YOUR DRESS" would have went there) but a friendly comment verging on it makes it funnier. Shibata as the odd-man-out in six mans is a fun use of him. It kind of sucks that this had to have an angle attached to it because otherwise it would have been much better. As for the other New Japan guy, how long has it been since Okada worked a squash, if ever? Wonder if Argento is a fan of Argento. 

Got my "corner of the room CCTV footage" shot! No B&W, but no sound; perfect. This "fight" looked way lamer than I imagined and really it is just a big 'who cares' to me. I don't see why there is reason to moan about it from them or us. I don't watch this shit for interpromotional drama and who is shook and who is right and who is whatever, I watch the wrestling for the wrestling. I could question AEW using this to try and heat up an ice-cold title match, but that would be treating it like it matters, and if I did I would be giving it far more relevance than any of it deserves. CM Punk ain't living rent free in my head.

(Meanwhile, you know who took backstage bullshit and make it work for him? Will Ospreay, who slaughtered a promo, threw some poo back at HHH, underlined the importance of his PPV match, and sounded more verbally coherent than ever before... in five minutes.)

Mariah ("Double-Chop Jones!" - Taz) and Anna had a fine match that the crowd was kinda deceptively into, they'd get real quiet but then be real loud all of the sudden. Dunno why the heat sounded so inconsistent. 

Somebody gotta find the Taz/Goldust match that's floating around out there for us. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Someone joked the other day that this was TK pulling a Bill Watts. 

The funny thing is that Watts would have just let either Phil and Jack or before that Phil and the Bucks just fight it out in the locker room and been done with it, like Butch and Nord, maybe most notably. 

The thing though is in the 1980s, legally, it was easier to get away with just cause the likelihood of litigation was minimum. It's the same way when Cornette or someone tells those stories about Lawler soccer kicking marks who hit the ring and went under the ropes. No one in WWE or AEW or TNA is going to do that now. You could bring one of those fans backstage and absolutely go to town on someone. That's a felony now and probably should have been then.

You're not going to hear about many stories like Van Hammer getting KO'd at some party by one of the boys. It's too risky.

30 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Man they sure showed it to Punk... 

Punk is going to reference this somehow when gets back in the ring and then immediately precede to tear his triceps.

Nobody wins. Well except everyone like myself and others who find all this hilarious.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Seth or Baron Corbin should've probably warned Hunter having a go at Ospreay wasn't going to end well. 

• Like 1

You guys are all missing the obvious highlight of the evening:

-

(After Thunder Rosa pushed away Deonna Purrazzo after Toni threw champagne in Rosa's face and tried to rub off her makeup)

Schiavone: Have you ever had champagne thrown in your eyes?! I have.

Taz: Brutal. Shocking. [beat] Was that on your wedding night that you had champagne thrown in your eyes?

Schiavone: [completely serious] No it was a championship night in baseball one time. It's brutal, it burns you, I'm telling you that plus the facepaint in the eyes.

Taz: You had your face painted too?!

Schiavone: Yes, got that in my eyes as well. That's another story as well.

Excalibur (I think): Oh wow...

-

It's legitimately the hardest I have laughed at anything in wrestling in a while. Taz just needling Tony, who either plays along or doesn't notice. When Taz shouts "You had your face painted too?" it was just so great.

Also, AEW might go up a whole 'nother notch on the TV-Rating thing after tonight's episode. Pac was quite clearly yelling "motherfucker" at Okada while he paced on the ramp, then Purrazzo let out a completely audible and unbleeped "Fuck you'" to Rosa, then you had Toni drinking champagne and trying to...kiss? it onto (into?) Maria May, followed by Shirakawa and May's post-match...makeout session/feeding May champagne.

And, no offence to Shirakawa (Whom I know next to nothing about), but I think that may have been the single worst major wrestling debut since...Seven in WCW? The combination of her goofy music that may suit her character but wasn't really going to pop the crowd; the fact no one in the crowd really knew (or cared) who she was; her weird, awkward running to the ring; the fact they didn't let her get any sort of move in on Anna so there wasn't even a crowd reaction like "I dunno who she is, but that was awesome"; then the weird pouring champagne down her throat and making out with Mariah while Mariah acted like she didn't know who she was. It was genuinely weird, confusing and a completely terrible way to debut someone on Dynamite that's not exactly a big name. It honestly looked like someone said "Oh do whatever you want out there, we'll cut away to commercials" then forgot to do so.

Realistically, this show was kind of a complete mess. You had the above weirdness, the footage of Punk-Jack (That COULD have been salvaged if the Bucks had done funny voice-overs on the footage, trying to do Punk's and Jack's voice!); Shibata's Funaki tribute act; that insane Kingston/Briscoe/Copeland backstage promo where Edge decides they should call themselves the chickenhawks (Apparently unaware of the slang meaning of a chicken hawk) then Willow suggests they should team up against King and Julia and Copeland says "I've got a better idea, maybe you and I should team up" which is EXACTLY what she just said, then they cut away as people are talking. This had the feel of a show being re-written on the fly but they just genuinely forgot to rewrite it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, caley said:

And, no offence to Shirakawa (Whom I know next to nothing about), but I think that may have been the single worst major wrestling debut since...Seven in WCW?

How fast do we forget "That's the Butcher....and that's the Blade!". Same company.

And oh, you're in for the experience of a lifetime with Mina.

stardom-joshi.gif

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Same and Tony's dog passed away recently. That sucks.

I wish dogs lived longer and life wasn’t so hard

6 hours ago, tbarrie said:

He's 26. So closer to 23 than 30, anyway.

And how is almost 30 not a kid? What board does Casey think he's on?

You get older the “kids” get older. Pretty soon your going on about 30 year old wippersnappers 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I wish dogs lived longer and life wasn’t so hard

Same here. Said on the board before that pets are family and sometimes better than the human family you have. Friends are sometimes more family than your actual family.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, caley said:

And, no offence to Shirakawa (Whom I know next to nothing about), but I think that may have been the single worst major wrestling debut since...Seven in WCW? The combination of her goofy music that may suit her character but wasn't really going to pop the crowd; the fact no one in the crowd really knew (or cared) who she was; her weird, awkward running to the ring; the fact they didn't let her get any sort of move in on Anna so there wasn't even a crowd reaction like "I dunno who she is, but that was awesome"; then the weird pouring champagne down her throat and making out with Mariah while Mariah acted like she didn't know who she was.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

How fast do we forget "That's the Butcher....and that's the Blade!". Same company.

And oh, you're in for the experience of a lifetime with Mina.

stardom-joshi.gif

The Dark Order is up there for worst major wrestling debut ever. The Shockmaster is #1.

What AEW did tonight was pathetic, petty, nonsense. Trying to tie it into Young Bucks versus FTR was moronic. It served no one and it helped no one. Tony Khan proved Punk right by airing that footage. He’s a spineless clown.

What did AEW gain in any way by airing that? They won’t even book Jack Perry on TV anymore. This was a disgrace. There is no coming back from this ever.

Embarrassing trash.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Same here. Said on the board before that pets are family and sometimes better than the human family you have. Friends are sometimes more family than your actual family.

The old saying goes "the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb", also you are born with your brothers but choose your friends

• Thanks 1