DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MARCH 2024

Shartnado

3 hours ago, EVA said:

I realize they’ll have to swallow some pride after dubbing him a pillar, but it is beyond past time to cut bait on Sammy. It would be in everybody’s best interests for him to go somewhere else.

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

kinda wild that the WWE sorta fell into a profoundly unlikable Dominik Mysterio, and meanwhile AEW also has an unlikable Hispanic wrestler who can do a lot, and they keep trying to push Sammy as a face.

I'm with the latter, but if they're gonna insist on pushing him as a babyface I'll take the former. I like heel Sammy. I sense the 'WWE Universe' and Heyman's pen could probably correct the steering of the babyface ship. You gotta be able to promo without writers in AEW, and to no surprise some of these guys and gals just can't. You also have to find a way to best present yourself. When you're a babyface, you ought to know not to waggle your tongue like an arsehole. You also need a little more than the hope that a crowd will support you because you've just become a new father. Fucking ridiculous.

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, his ceiling was right there. He was either tag competitor or he was ROH bound. This will be better. 

Ortiz was always my guy from that group, he had/has personality and that counts for a lot. At the same time I'm not sure about his chances either. 

Curious to see what becomes of 'Mike' Santana. I think ppl are underestimating his abilities and potential. Yeah, (other than that great Street Fight with the Besties which wasn't followed up upon for either team) he didn't exactly light the wrestling world on fire these past few years, but rarely did the AEW booking support such a feat. It's a really small thing, but I sometimes wonder how he and Ortiz would have fared if they'd been able to hold onto the LAX name. Proud n Powerful was a pretty corny replacement. I sense WWE will have interest, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him better utilized. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus

I joke about people piling on Knox but seriously, it’s not the refs’ job.  They have a bunch of other shit they’re responsible for and they’re not doctors.  If stopping a match when a guy is concussed is so important, put a trained doctor at ringside as a concussion spotter and empower them to stop matches.  

33 minutes ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

I 100% would not be surprised if the protocol is that the ref can decide that a match can continue so they can get to a finish without stopping it as long as there isn't another strike to the head, and Guevara got dinged for using the GTH.

Sammy just hit a brutal looking SSP that busted Hardy's nose. If the protocol is that "its OK to just go home", then I can see a situation where Turner communicated to Sammy that Hardy was hurt, so "take it home", and the dumbass picked him up and hit the G2S, instead of just covering him for the pinfall.

• Like 3

There's no perfect answer. Just gotta pick one and stick with it. Doctor at ringside? Cool. Ref has the final say? Cool. Just get a protocol, make sure everyone knows it, and the rules apply to everyone no matter what. If the ref can't handle it, they shouldn't be a ref. I know it was said they're not doctors. But a bare minimum of paramedic or first responder training given to your refs would be the smartest investment a company could make. Send them all through some classes so they have some skills to spot, first respond, etc. If an emergency arises they are in the perfect position to help quickly.

I mean the Sid leg break spot was brutal in WCW. But what made it even worse is no one did a fucking thing for him. Everyone stands around not knowing what to do. Waiting for the mystery man reveal. Letting a dude pin him. What, like 4-5 minutes passes before a single hand is lifted to help him? That was 25 years ago. And it a lot of respects nothing has changed. And it should have by now.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, SovietShooter said:

Sammy just hit a brutal looking SSP that busted Hardy's nose. If the protocol is that "its OK to just go home", then I can see a situation where Turner communicated to Sammy that Hardy was hurt, so "take it home", and the dumbass picked him up and hit the G2S, instead of just covering him for the pinfall.

Exactly this. I'm pretty confident that if Guevara had just small packaged him instead, none of this would have been an issue.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 3:45 PM, AxB said:

per Fightful, Mike Santana is now gone from AEW. He's off the roster page and not because his name starts with The.

I wonder how things would be different if Mike Santana got out of his own damn way in AEW and patched things up with Ortiz. Maybe they've would had multiple tag title reigns.

Well, Mike Santana will do okay for awhile due to AEW connections then languish on the indies.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

But a bare minimum of paramedic or first responder training given to your refs would be the smartest investment a company could make

Does any real sports league do this?  Serious question.

Prob from a liability standpoint no, since most major team sports all have doctors and trainers on staff and on the sidelines. As you could to lower levels of amateur sports, I could see refs being given mandatory CPR/Defib training. 

• Like 2

I sat front row behind Doc and Dasha at a Collision taping a couple of months ago and what was interesting to me was that Doc had his own monitor(I'm assuming to help notice any possible injuries?) but the monitor was like a full minute behind the live action.

• Like 1

Maybe when Sammy comes back he can turn heel on Jericho again.

I feel for Santana and Ortiz. The whole split with Jericho seemed set up to give them a big push but they ended up playing second fiddle to the Blackpool Combat Club, then Santana gets hurt in the cage and is out a year.

4 hours ago, JLowe said:

Jack Perry is probably not even a top 20 talent in AEW currently

That might be generous too. If I never see him again, the only thing I will remember about him is how I marveled at his ability to pull Anna Jay despite having less charisma than a cardboard box.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Sublime said:

Wasn’t Sammy in the match with Matt too? Maybe Sammy has a subconscious desire to kill the Hardy’s 

maybe Sammy was a huge TTOEAC fan during those matches in the 2000s

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

There's no perfect answer. Just gotta pick one and stick with it. Doctor at ringside? Cool. Ref has the final say? Cool. Just get a protocol, make sure everyone knows it, and the rules apply to everyone no matter what. If the ref can't handle it, they shouldn't be a ref. I know it was said they're not doctors. But a bare minimum of paramedic or first responder training given to your refs would be the smartest investment a company could make. Send them all through some classes so they have some skills to spot, first respond, etc. If an emergency arises they are in the perfect position to help quickly.

I mean the Sid leg break spot was brutal in WCW. But what made it even worse is no one did a fucking thing for him. Everyone stands around not knowing what to do. Waiting for the mystery man reveal. Letting a dude pin him. What, like 4-5 minutes passes before a single hand is lifted to help him? That was 25 years ago. And it a lot of respects nothing has changed. And it should have by now.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Does any real sports league do this?  Serious question.

There is still shit in boxing and MMA that makes me feel relieved that there are medical professionals near by and they are in a jurisdiction that knows what they're doing. Then, there are moments that make me go, "what in the entire fuck?" much like some of the aforementioned incidents in pro wrestling. Fortunately and unfortunately, there are no absolutes. I haven't watched the Nigel Benn/Gerald McClellan fight since the early/mid 2000s. I chose to download it and watch it over the weekend since it segues in my 1995 rewatch with pro wrestling perfectly. However, I was totally dreading it knowing how it ends. I am watching a man getting turned into someone who needs assistance for the rest of his life when there is something that could have been done about it. That was almost 30 years ago. A few years back though, I watched the Subriel Matias/Maxim Dadashev fight in real time. That ended worse obviously cause Dadashev died some days later. I watched the Mike Perez/Magomed Abdusalamov fight in real time. I saw the Terrel Williams/Prichard Colon fight when it happened on NBC in 2015, and much like Benn/McClellan, a lot of the resulting life altering damage came from rabbit punching. Granted, there are no perfect scenarios where a ref intervenes and then that person is spared and can live a full healthy life. However, boxing refuses to eliminate having 150+ people in the ring at a given moment when 99% of them are not physicians and medical practitioners of any sort. Just flunkies, either in someone's entourage or some grifter from some boxing organization or commission. You're talking life or death, and it takes FOREVER for someone to get medical attention when they are in clear distress. We're talking dozens upon dozens of fights that result in death and life changing injuries and boxing cannot fix a fundamental issue (there are several but it's too many to list). When it comes to pro wrestling, we're talking about a bunch of people who feel they MUST finish out a story or match that's been laid out and choreographed cause the show must go on. It's absurd to people who use logic, but it's not absurd to them.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

maybe Sammy was a huge TTOEAC fan during those matches in the 2000s

Sammy would be my pick for a non-Edge/Christian wrestler to steal/revive the "5 second pose" prematch thing

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

That might be generous too. If I never see him again, the only thing I will remember about him is how I marveled at his ability to pull Anna Jay despite having less charisma than a cardboard box.

Girls like the hair

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I haven't watched the Nigel Benn/Gerald McClellan fight since the early/mid 2000s. 

Now there's a ton of blame shifting going on in that case. Like McClellan's cornermen are all to this day insistent that it's their job to give the fighter tactical advice, and fighter safely is the sole responsibility of the referee. Meanwhile the referee insists that fighter safety is the job of the cornermen and his job is to count to ten, or call for the break. In French, of course. He doesn't speak English at all. The only English words he knows are Break and Counting to Ten.

• Like 1

Instead of training the refs in emergency medical care, why don’t we train paramedics to be refs?

Aaaand now I have “Don’t wanna miss a thing” stuck in my head

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bryan said:

He’s handsome, physically fit, famous, and rich.

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

Jack has been pretty upfront about loving wrestling for the in-ring and not really caring about promos, thus never really putting any effort into getting better until the past year or two. If I’m remembering correctly, the original concept of the Jungle Boy character was that he would be mostly mute for precisely that reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1