DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2024 Wrestling Talk

4 hours ago, The Great ML said:

He moved back to Bulgaria? That’s a heck of a commute. No wonder he hasn’t been booked in AEW.

Tbh all this probably means is that CJ has the house, and Miro has decided to spend time with family & friends rather than rent somewhere in the US. 

He is injured apparently of course (medical care is cheap in Bulgaria, standards are different but it isn't like it is terrible), though yes Plovdiv Airport is hardly a hub.

Bulgaria also has hot women, flexibility varies I am sure but tbh I'd be very unsurprised if Miro doesn't end up marrying a younger Bulgarian lady in 2-3 years. 

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

SummerSlam 2024 will emanate from Cleveland Browns Stadium on Saturday, 3rd August 2024. Last SummerSlam in Cleveland was SummerSlam 1996.

I was there with my dad and brother. My friends, Handsome Frank Stalletto and Beef Stew Lou Marconi were two of the Undertaker's druids. I hope I can be there this year.

• Like 7

I enjoyed The Scorpion King for what it was and love The One, totally one of my guilty pleasures, and has one of the coolest ending scenes in a fun action flick. Seems like it all worked out there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gorman said:

I was there with my dad and brother. My friends, Handsome Frank Stalletto and Beef Stew Lou Marconi were two of the Undertaker's druids. I hope I can be there this year.

Good goddamn do I wanna live in a world where wrestlers have names like that again...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

The Scorpion King shoots an arrow with a fist on it that hits this guy and sends him flying through the ceiling. That's high cinema

Eh. He stole that spot from Green Arrow.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 4:10 PM, AxB said:

For all of his long, long WWE run, Chris Jericho was unique in that he liked to change things up. Not only would he change his look and character from time to time, but he'd change his catchphrases, even his speaking cadence in interviews. And any time something he was doing got properly over, he would then stop doing it before it got played out. 

So it's a bit frustrating that in AEW for the last five years, he's been on his Greatest Hits tour. Whenever he changes things up, it's "We could bring back the Painmaker" or "We could bring back Lionheart*". Never anything fresh and new, other than the fact that his finishing move has a back elbow since 2019 (and that's a real "I need a move I can do when I'm 70" thing).

Of course, the other thing that kept him fresh was that he would disappear for months at a time to go and be a singer (or work in other forms of non-wrestling entertainment), whilst he's never been away from AEW for more than a couple of weeks at a time. Then again, he's now the second oldest Wrestler on the roster, and Billy Gunn is unlikely to get upgraded into the Sting 'Living Legend' spot. So perhaps he thinks that if he sticks around, at some point he's getting that treatment. Which, I can see his retirement tour being good, but at the moment he's a bit... in WWE, in the scripted entertainment era, he always seemed a little more real and less plastic than most of the boys. But in AEW where everyone seems real, he's the most plastic person there. If he hadn't signed for AEW in 2019, but got cast in a TV show or something, and then he returned to wrestling in 2024, he would get that legend returns deal.

* If he's returning to his CMLL days, his name should be in Spanish. He was Corazon De Leon in Mexico, he was only Lionheart in Japan and USA/Canada.

Maybe I’m way off on this one but it seems like multitalented across different forms of entertainment, independent minded, unafraid of anything, unpredictable wrestlers are boring now. What irony. 

Has the recent surge of WWE success led to an influx of children infilrating online wrestling discussion? Is the continued practice of less moderation inviting negative actors to create abad takes -> more arguments -> more clicks reaching a saturation point? Does the wrestling I like suck now? Am I just terribly depressed?

Why does talking about wrestling on the internet suck more now that it ever has? This board doesn't even feel right. I just don't want to do it. I think of conversations worth starting, or matches worth sharing,, and then I consider the effort that it would take to post them *anywhere* and then I don't.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

5 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Has the recent surge of WWE success led to an influx of children infilrating online wrestling discussion? Is the continued practice of less moderation inviting negative actors to create abad takes -> more arguments -> more clicks reaching a saturation point? Does the wrestling I like suck now? Am I just terribly depressed?

Why does talking about wrestling on the internet suck more now that it ever has? This board doesn't even feel right. I just don't want to do it. I think of conversations worth starting, or matches worth sharing,, and then I consider the effort that it would take to post them *anywhere* and then I don't.

I think you just grew up is all. I've been on wrestling boards for over twenty years and am not the same person I was then. It happens. My main haunt has maybe five percent of the activity it had in 2002 when I found it because we all kinda aged out of flame wars and live commentary threads. Younger people haven't.

Edited by Sex Machine Gun
  • Like 4

Be it wrestling boards or other places online, ithink cultivating your feeds is the key to how horrible your experience will be. Life’s too short to deal with abuse or people you can’t stand. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Another point on this, that I am going to try and put as delicately as possible: WWE's international reach growing even more over the last decade means that a lot of social media and comment sections are also now teeming with audiences from around the world who may not be entirely familiar with the fictional nature of what they are seeing.

• Like 1

That’s interesting, do you mean you think there’s more marks as opposed to smart marks in wrestling audiences again? What part do you think they don’t realize is fictional?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

That’s interesting, do you mean you think there’s more marks as opposed to smart marks in wrestling audiences again? What part do you think they don’t realize is fictional?

They think that wrestlers are their friends now? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Be it wrestling boards or other places online, ithink cultivating your feeds is the key to how horrible your experience will be. Life’s too short to deal with abuse or people you can’t stand. 

Someone else finally said it!!! You - do - not - have - to - listen - to - it. The algorithm works the same way. Scrape that shit like barnicles off the bottom of a ship. They don't come back. 

There are mute buttons! Block buttons! An unfriending feature! My bestie, who got me on Instagram even, I had a big big big falling out with and it took me months to finally delete him so I didn't have to look at pictures of him and the records he was listening to, but I finally did it, and guess what? I'm not missing out on a damn thing, and I feel so much better. 

EDIT: Here's another part of it. I think a lot of people are either too lazy, or too afraid to confront the fact that they've got all their family on there saying shit they don't wanna hear*, that they just dump social media altogether. I think that's letting them beat you. Make it work for you instead. I got reasons I'm on Facebook and Instagram and I'm not getting off just because of toxic people that are easily disposed of.

* I fully understand that some people actually have real lives to deal with and don't have time for this shit. Or you just hate Zuckerberg and Musk, as you should.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Muting and blocking has absolutely been my go-to for several years now. I still see some honestly trash and intellectually dishonest opinions whenever someone that doesn't just mute-and-block and HAS to "dunk-tweet", but all that does is give me one more account to mute and/or block.

It's still wild to me how many people fall for the "posting intellectually dishonest opinions in bad faith for the sake of getting dunk-tweets" gimmick on social media. People think they are smart "correcting" the original bad tweet or clever for shouting "look at this idiot" when they don't realize that the original post was made for the sole purpose of engagement and signal-boosting, and that the majority of "posting in bad faith" accounts would choke to death from lack of engagement.

• Like 2

I’m now having that issue on left leaning  Bluesky, where the comics folks I follow freely post their political stuff and I don’t want to read the stuff I agree with anymore than I want to read the stuff I do not, I just want a fairly banal place to talk about comics or futbol or old rasslin or classic TV shows. 

Well-known comic writer, I want to read about you discussing 1970s FF comics, not the Supreme Court. 😀

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

In a way/sense, yes - I'm hesitant to say anything that could be misconstrued as xenophobia or a put-down of any sort, but there seems to be a contingent of international fans on those type of forums who treat the proceedings more like pure sport. "JHON CENA WILL KILL ___"-type stuff

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

In a way/sense, yes - I'm hesitant to say anything that could be misconstrued as xenophobia or a put-down of any sort, but there seems to be a contingent of international fans on those type of forums who treat the proceedings more like pure sport. "JHON CENA WILL KILL ___"-type stuff

It reads to me more like they let themselves enjoy the show rather than be lost to analysis. There's something to be said for people who can be lost in the moment.

• Like 3