DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 2/7 - 2/13/2024 - First Come, First Swerved

Tonight was a really good show. Hangman vs. Swerve was awesome and I loved how Hangman seemingly turned heel after the match. "YOU DIDN'T BEAT ME". I figured as soon as there was a draw we were getting a triple threat. I loved Joe being super pissed about that.

BCC vs. CMLL was really good. This is the first time I've seen the guys from CMLL and I was very impressed. Claudio being a dick and kneeing the guy right in the balls was a fun ending.

Timeless Tony Storm continues to impress. I love the whole act and presentation. Everything about her screams throwback. Even wearing those old timey stockings like she was a lady wrestler from the 40's. Her vs. Deonna should be a really good match at Revolution.

Jericho vs. Takeshita was good even if Jericho is starting to show his age. As much as he's willing, he just doesn't have that spring in his step like he used to. But I liked the ending with Jericho tapping out to his own hold. I wonder how long Omega will be out and how long they can keep Takeshita going because I assume the ultimate goal in all of this is one more Alpha vs. Omega match.

Sting/Darby vs. Starks/BILL was really fun. I'm gonna miss crazy old man Sting doing dives off the balcony and stuff. I didn't expect them to win, but it was a nice moment and then The Corporate Bucks ruin it. Darby bleeding a ton was a nice touch with those white suits. Even beating up Sting's kids. Now that's some heel heat we havent seen in a while. This sold me on the match at Revolution and I can't wait for it now.

Overall a really good show tonight. 

Edited by Phantom Lord
  • Like 5

What I caught was a solid show, although I consider that announcement to be more of the "announcement of an announcement" than a big one on its own.

I get the main event deal but man, Starks is so it and this company is just never gonna get behind him in any consistent matter. I legit hope he goes to WWE as I think he just needs consistent tv time and matches to take off and Raw is 3 hours long.

That crowd was so hot for Hangman/Swerve, set the vibe for the whole night. So awesome.

I’ve been pretty bored with the BCC for a while now, but this CMLL feud coming out of nowhere has ruled ass so far.

Main was great. Definitely telegraphed the title change with Sting’s kids being there, still super fun though. Just really hope it doesn’t all end with the Bucks holding the belts again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peck said:

Great choice of all-white outfits for the gusher.

It reminded me of the Age of the Fall debut in ROH when Jay Briscoe was hanged from the ceiling and his blood flowed all over Jimmy Jacobs white gear. I'm sure Jacobs had something to do with tonight's ending segment. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It reminded me of the Age of the Fall debut in ROH when Jay Briscoe was hanged from the ceiling and his blood flowed all over Jimmy Jacobs white gear. I'm sure Jacobs had something to do with tonight's ending segment. 

Same here.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's unfortunate that the Mighty Mighty Bosstones broke up. If I were TK, I would have thrown money at them to play entrances for the Boston show. 

Their frontman is a Covid denier or at least Covid vaccine denier, RFK Jr. supporting dork. So nah. I’ll pass on that idea.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Their frontman is a Covid denier or at least Covid vaccine denier, RFK Jr. supporting dork. So nah. I’ll pass on that idea.

Oh yeah. I kinda forgot about Dickey Barrett's views when the idea came to me. Maybe if he could have kept his mouth shut in the first place, they wouldn't have broken up. 

• Like 1

Just something that came to mind after seeing all those CMLL guys... AEW talent who have participated in a Torneo Cibernetico-

Claudio, Kingston, The Young Bucks, Rush, Mark Briscoe, Orange Cassidy, Rocky Romero, Juice Robinson, Matt Taven, Matt Menard, Scott Parker, Evil Uno, Stu Greyson, John Silver, Alex Reynolds, Ruby Soho, Lady Frost...

Booook it. Book an entire Rampage around it.

• Like 8

Awesome show top to bottom.  Figured Hangman/Swerve was going the time limit as soon as seeing it was in the opening spot, seemed the easiest way to get to the triple threat. Didn't see the presumable double turn happening like that though.  BCC vs CMLL was epic, all action. Loving the build up to Toni vs. Deonna.

Enjoyed Jericho/Takeshita. Looking forward to BIG Business in Bo$$ton.  Great main event/moment/post-match angle. Big Bill's catch of Darby's dive into the Bossman slam was amazing. Very effective ending with the bloodshed visuals. 

• Like 1

So not only is Hangman a BAD FRIEND but now he's also a JERK for attacking Prince Nana and a COWARD for not giving Swerve 5 more minutes. Yup, he's definitely been hanging out with The Bucks.

Also, man those weren't Sting's KIDS AT ALL.

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Haha 2

Tried coming up with my list of AEW time limit draws. I'm not counting matches that were restarted and there must be a winner:

• Hangman Adam Page vs. Swerve Strickland. AEW Dynamite, 7th February 2024.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Claudio Castagnoli. AEW Collison, 23rd December 2023.
  • MJF vs. Adam Cole. AEW Dynamite, 14th June 2023.
  • Hangman Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Dynamite, 15th December 2021. *****.
  • Kenny Omega vs. Bryan Danielson. AEW Dynamite, 22nd September 2021. *****.
Edited by The Natural

Seems odd that Wheeler Yuta is not involved in this CMLL feud. Is he hurt? Given we now have 6 CMLL guys and 7 AEW guys in this feud, curious if something equivalent to the CMLL Grand Prix could be booked in AEW.

Love Renee, but could she at least try to say the first names of Japanese wrestlers? Very WWE-ish and shows little effort in knowing who these guys are?

I think if Jericho wants to keep going, more power to him. I just wish he’d realize his limitations. When he did the more grounded, hard-hitting stuff with Kingston and Danielson it worked. He just needs to accept that there are certain things his body won’t allow him to do anymore. Why attempt some complicated top-rope reversal or whatever if there’s zero chance it’ll look right and there’s a high chance you injure yourself or your opponent?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, I hope AEW's Big Business turns out better than the Melvins collaboration with Big Business did. TK's announcement was kind of a wet fart.

Other than that, everything was hitting on all cylinders. I came out of the BCC/CMLL match wanting a cibernetico badly. 

hangman's moustache feels right for a heel turn.

Heel Hangman driven crazy and being a heel by Swerve fucking rules.

Can you imagine if Sting’s one son, the taller and more muscular of the two, the one who looks the most like Sting, were also a wrestler with his dad’s same charisma and ability? He’d be the biggest draw in the country. Dude is an absolute unit. It’s crazy. He’s like a fucking action figure. 

• Like 5

As soon as I saw Mistico in the crowd, I jumped online to find out who the guys with him were, and if they were also booked for the New Japan tour. Sure enough, Star Jr. and Esfinge aren't working NJPW. And within thirty minutes, the tag match for Collision was announced.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Can you imagine if Sting’s one son, the taller and more muscular of the two, the one who looks the most like Sting, were also a wrestler with his dad’s same charisma and ability? He’d be the biggest draw in the country. Dude is an absolute unit. It’s crazy. He’s like a fucking action figure. 

I had the thought too and was debating on posting it because I didn't wanna come off like one of those nutcases trying to bully Christopher Reeve's kid into playing Superman even though the guy's like a journalist with ABC and has zero interest in acting

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Heel Hangman driven crazy and being a heel by Swerve fucking rules.

In those black tees they looked like the random sins and vices from Sting, Nikita, and DiBiase's traveling ministry.

https://youtu.be/VMq6-mNmp3w?si=TPBcu8hF4DXutUf9&t=1017

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I understand that it will get "great heat" but if Tony thinks that having the Bucks win the tag titles in Sting's last match IN GREENSBORO is a good idea then he really is losing it.  

I wouldn't mind Sting retiring as a champion at all, but I don't understand why you think it's a bad idea - is it that it's the Bucks? Not busting chops, if you don't dig those guys it's fine, just legit asking

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Prince Nana sending dance vibes to Swerve Strickland while he was outside the ring to beat the count made me laugh.

Prince Nana's dance to Swerve Strickland what Paul Bearer's Urn was to Undertaker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Prince Nana's dance to Swerve Strickland what Paul Bearer's Urn was to Undertaker.

Dude, that shit cracked me up. I put it up there with the Macho-to-Hogan "reviving" elbow drop at whatever WWIII that was (except intentionally hilarious)

• Haha 1

When the first few minutes of Hangman-Swerve consisted largely of collar and elbow tie-ups (which Taz did a fantastic job of putting over), I said to myself “oh shit, are they going Broadway”? Hell of a match, and the double turn was perfectly executed.

They’re putting Hechicero over like he’s El Santo. That trios wasn’t quite as great as I was expecting but it was still fun. Dorado seems to still be figuring out what he’s capable of pulling off.

Toni needs to add a hair mare to her old-school arsenal.

Jericho is losing my last bits of goodwill from his 2022 run. Takeshita should be going over clean. He also should get away from Callis.

Are they teasing a Best Friends turn on OC? Hmmmm...

Sting is crazy. I’m glad they won. I’ve seen people saying Starks deserves to be the guy to pin Sting, but you can’t have a guy who seems to have an eye on WWE and hasn’t re-signed claiming that prize. Also, are his sons trained? They were like clones. White suits for the EVPs was a nice touch.

• Like 2