DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

in 1989? yeah there were a few house show matches but a fourth one that was on film?

then in 1993, you had stuff like Flair/Steamboat going 45 minutes in Fayetteville, North Carolina on a house show because I guess Ric Flair was trying to build up his conditioning.

Then there were two Flair/Steamboat matches in 1994, one on Spring Stampede and then the rematch on Saturday Night.

I... am really not sure. I just recall someone reviewing it somewhere and I want to say it's one of those last two matches.

Just my two cents, but I feel that the best of all recorded Flair vs. Steamboat matches is the one from Boogie Jam ‘84.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

Just my two cents, but I feel that the best of all recorded Flair vs. Steamboat matches is the one from Boogie Jam ‘84.

I think they’ve both said their best matches were from back then (didn’t say which) but they don’t repeat it because the 1989 match has immortalized them and they know it lol!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Man the technique of holding the mic and yelling into one side of it is an amazing touch here

She was great! That’s the Mae Young I wished we had in the WWF instead of the perverted granny tandem with Moolah.

• Like 1

He doesn’t know it, but he was the incidental embodiment of WCW. He was a wrestler who was given a ring name that could have been the name of a normal person, like a plumber, and told to go out there and get over sometime in the 3 hour of Nitro vs a wrestler nobody cared about like that’s the easiest way to get over. If that didn’t work lose to Goldberg.

1 hour ago, The Great ML said:

She was great! That’s the Mae Young I wished we had in the WWF instead of the perverted granny tandem with Moolah.

The key is calling fans rednecks in the deepest possible southern accent.

Turns out that Mae wasn’t as much of a real life heel as Moolah, but as one could see in the other tweets, she was the studio wrestling personality that really never got a chance to work a studio wrestling show when she was younger

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Flair feels like the first one wasn't long enough. I would have chopped 5 minutes off of Hayes/Assassin and 5 off of Sting/Reed and given it to Flair/Steamboat. But it feels like WCW shows had a consistent theme down to the squashes where the first hour squashes would be a few minutes too long and all the second hour squashes had to wrap in 3 minutes or else

There's not really a logical reason for Michael Hayes/Russian Assassin to be longer than Luger/Windham or Roadies/Varsity Club.

So I suspect Flair might have been trying to make up for Chi-Town Rumble with a Clash card where only 2 other matches went past 10 minutes so that Flair/Steamboat could go 55 minutes.

Flair and Windham got 23 minutes, which is a decent length for my own tastes.  I'll have to go rewatch the others but I seem to recall feeling like both guys were getting a little repetitive and dragging out the proceedings.  Maybe I'll watch all three and write something about them in the WWE Network thread.

Looking at the card on Wikipedia, holy fuck yeah we absolutely didn't need 15 minutes of Hayes/Assassin and 20 of Sting/Reed.  Sweet Jesus.  I would have given Lex and Barry at least 5 more.  10 for those two feels criminal.

Edited by Technico Support

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I would have given Lex and Barry at least 5 more.  10 for those two feels criminal.

Considering Barry was gone a month later, wonder how much of the length of the match was Barry knowing he was about to leave the company.

as for Sting/Reed. Fortunately Doom helped Butch Reed’s stint stand out compared to the other guys who arrived in 1989 and left in 1989 (Orton, Kendall, so on)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Considering Barry was gone a month later, wonder how much of the length of the match was Barry knowing he was about to leave the company.

as for Sting/Reed. Fortunately Doom helped Butch Reed’s stint stand out compared to the other guys who arrived in 1989 and left in 1989 (Orton, Kendall, so on)

Man, what a rough show this was.  The Horsemen had just breathed their last gasp (for the time being) with JJ leaving after Tully & Arn had left a few months prior, so they'd morphed into The Yamasaki Corporation, which was a complete popcorn fart.  Barry is on his way out (thanks for the reminder!).  MX vs MX gets a blowoff match that includes one guy who was never in the feud to begin with because Condrey left before the show.  The Michael Hayes singles push, which was trash, as he wrestles a masked Dave Sheldon.  Sting trying to find his footing as a singles wrestler and getting no favors being asked to go 20 vs Reed.  Road Warriors vs Varsity Club B team of Sullivan and Williams.  Woof.

Edited by Technico Support

going back a few pages, re: the big pizza wars, there's an awesome youtube video that covers those specific pizzas and those mythical times. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OLP-wwaI38

also, the History channel had an excellent episode about the history of pizza in America (https://www.history.com/shows/the-food-that-built-america/season-2/episode-1) that's worth checking out. 

On 2/19/2024 at 12:32 PM, Robert S said:

not sure if "Dean" Douglas should count because that was partly a PG version of his ECW gimmick

Douglas' gimmick was that he WASN'T PG, so yeah, making a PG version of that is always going to be terrible.

and maybe i was just a naïve youngster, but i could never differentiate accents unless they were hugely exaggerated. I couldn't tell Harlem Heat was from Texas because i didn't know what people from Houston sounded like vs. what people from Harlem sounded like. I would have bought in to Bill Irwin being a Texas cowboy as easily as a Canadian hockey player. i don't know that i've ever given a single thought about where the Gangstas were from, or whether their theme song being PE in SMW but Dre in ECW reflected against the East Coast vs. West Coast rap mentality. 

• Like 4

Shannon Sharpe bringing up the Super Destroyers/Super Ds on one of his podcasts recently reminded me to ask this: How much different would Bill Irwin's career have looked had his brother lived? From all the podcasts I've listened to, Scott gets mentioned as a good worker and I've seen enough stuff in Dallas, Georgia, and Memphis to agree with that sentiment. He also had the size.

28 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I had no idea The Gangstas used "Can't Truss It" in SMW.  That's awesome.  "Hazy Shade of Criminal" would have been better but that might have gone maybe a little too hard.

I'm still partial to Shut 'Em Down, it's a good one for protests

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXCrkY5WNA0&ab_channel=PublicEnemyVEVO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Hamhock said:

For me it's Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat at NWA Clash of the Champions VI: Ragin' Cajun. I've never once wavered. I'd go:

6. WCW Saturday Night 1994.

5. WCW Spring Stampede 1994.

4. NWA Landover 1989.

3. NWA WrestleWar 1989. *****.

2. NWA Chi-Town Rumble 1989. *****.

1. NWA Clash of the Champions 1989. *****.

WrestleWar was always my least favourite of the celebrated 1989 televised trilogy, Chi-Town Rumble always second and Clash of the Champions always on top spot.

Flair, when asked, always said the 89 Steamboat feud was nowhere near as good as the 1979 Flair vs Steamboat matches.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Shannon Sharpe bringing up the Super Destroyers/Super Ds on one of his podcasts recently reminded me to ask this: How much different would Bill Irwin's career have looked had his brother lived? From all the podcasts I've listened to, Scott gets mentioned as a good worker and I've seen enough stuff in Dallas, Georgia, and Memphis to agree with that sentiment. He also had the size.

I'll say it, the Long Riders carried Hall and Hennig in their mini-feud in AWA. I never understood why the WrestleRock match was the Irwin's having to regular gear as opposed to a Bunkhouse match orctirbado match which would make things fair and more interesting

Oh wait, I know the answer... Verne fuckin Gagne!

James

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

What’s Rip Rodgers doing? I saw on YouTube that he has new interviews up and I don’t think he’s ever had any. Just now I replied to a comment he left on FB and maybe he’ll see it since the OP only had 3 replies altogether.

He was a trainer for OVW for a long time. He was also helping out in some capacity in Derby City Wrestling when it was running. Not sure what he’s currently up to.  

He’s fun to talk wrestling with because he apparently has a photographic memory. I mentioned a date that Poffo’s ICW did at my hometown high school in the early 80’s and he busted out the exact date and the card. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2024 at 11:42 PM, clintthecrippler said:

I am bad at math. Are there enough match permutations between 3 Von Erichs and 3 Freebirds to pull off "8 Crazy Nights at Reunion Arena"?

Three times three is nine. So yes.

(That's assuming you only want to book singles matches. If you're going to allow tag matches and the six-man tag (presumably for the final night?) there are 19 possible matches.)

• Like 1