DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/17 - 1/23/2024 - Hooked on a Feeling

Samoa Joe gets a guy with the most overprotected win-loss record in wrestling history outside of the Watts family. 

That's where I'll leave my editorial.

• Like 1

Honestly, the only way I think I could be satisfied is for Hook to start out with a T-bone suplex for Joe to no-sell and then have Joe just beat the hell out of him.

• Like 1

I think this match gives them some ways to expand Hook’s character, which while I do like it, it has become a bit one dimensional, IMO. 

Like, a loss (which will almost definitely happen) can lead to him needing to change things up when he realizes he’s not really ready for the top of the card. I’m personally hoping he loses and retires the FTW title saying he doesn’t deserve a title if he can’t win the big one or something. 

• Like 1

This is Hook's make or break tonight.  I really hope Hook does well- I think he's got real potential, though I do think he's gonna have to probably change his style to something more athletic given his size.

I'd love to see HOOK work NJPW juniors.

Edited by Jenalysis
  • Like 1

For the record, I think Hook works wonderfully as a heel to us over-40 dudes who look at a slice of pizza and get fatter. He's out here flaunting his metabolism with his pizza and his chips. Just wait, man! One day that'll all catch up with you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

Man, the Jay Briscoe tribute on the first anniversary of his passing with Mark Briscoe and Jay's kids was so moving. Jay's daughters were badly injured in the fatal accident that killed Jay.

• Like 7

Things I remember from this week's edition of AEW Dynamite:

Christian and Dustin had some fun spots but that finisher was a big oof

Interesting six man with spotz.

Apparently we gotta wait 6 weeks for Orange Cassidy vs Roddy Strong which is a bit long. Nice to see Undisputed doing something slightly different this week after two weeks of the same promo.

Swerve has words. Hangman has words later.

Chris Jericho staying away from live TV audiences

Nice tribute to Jay Briscoe

The Bucks are officially douchebag heels. They look like they have strongly held opinions about indy music

We have new ROH Six Man Tag Team champions and a threat that maybe those belts will be unified with the AEW Six Man Tag Team titles

Toni Storm character work

I don't remember any part of Top Flight vs Private Party

Joe just beat the fuck out of Hook to start this match off. Hook got some hope for a few minutes. This match was worked like Joe had a personal grudge with Hook's family. That was just an assbeating. Meanwhile Hangman saves Hook from getting beatdown further. Swerve is looking angry in the background.

Hopefully the teachers at Hook's school don't ask questions about the marks all over Hook.

• Like 2

Missed the first hour due to work but the main event was sick. I like Hook a lot and thought he looked badass even in the loss. The table bump was nasty. I was kind of worried the show would go off the air with the crowd chanting for Swerve which would just undo the match. Thankfully that wasn't the case. 

• Like 1

Let this show be a reminder that any time a company positioned Joe in the mid card in the last 20 years they were absolute fools. Half of why his RoH world title run was so legendary was how he carried himself as champ. No man in the US has been a better true ace of a company then Samoa Joe this century.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Hi, I’ve been in a coma since mid-August 2023. Just woke up. Glad the Bucks are finally starting to lean into it. This is gonna be an all-time great build. Love it. 

I do appreciate that they decided to hell their look by adopting more of a Vince 2023 mustache and not in the past where they looked like cosplay Austin Aries

Didn't really watch/care about any of the tags, but liked the open and the close just fine. Dustin is moving pretty damn slow these days but he can still hit his marks and work a great match. Lots of false finishes in that one. Maybe they went one too long at the end there, but the crowd was eating everything up so they probably thought "why not". Christian is still the scummiest of the scumsters; adjusting the collar at the start was great. Nick Wayne wasn't afraid to take the Code Red right on his head, too. Joe ate Hook for breakfast but it was a valiant looking squash. Hiroshi Hase would have been proud of the full-on rotation Uranage into the table. I kinda wish Hook had choked Hangman to get some heat back on himself, but we gotta play nice now I guess. 

Toni was absolutely hilarious. I wanna go back and watch the match just to catch all the jokes I didn't the first time. The roll-ups were a wee slow and sloppy, but the match seemed to work well enough. The snarl on Luther's face also killed me. And of course the Briscoe part... well, it tore me up. What a kick in the nuts, despite the good news. God knows there wasn't a dry eye in that crowd. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

And of course the Briscoe part... well, it tore me up. What a kick in the nuts, despite the good news. God knows there wasn't a dry eye in that crowd. 

I was crying as well in the early hours of Thursday morning my time.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5