DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/10 - 1/16/2024 - I Know Why The Christian Caged Bird Sings

8 minutes ago, Coletti said:

Surely Sting had zero say as to who he'd face in his FINAL MATCH EVER. 

Fuck's sake...

To be fair, he has a terrible history of trusting the wrong people. (See Curt, a joke).

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

By all accounts, Sting got to choose anyone on the roster to be his final match, and he chose the Young Bucks. There's every chance that the reason he never worked them before now was because he was saving the Young Bucks match for his final one.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, AxB said:

By all accounts, Sting got to choose anyone on the roster to be his final match, and he chose the Young Bucks. There's every chance that the reason he never worked them before now was because he was saving the Young Bucks match for his final one.

Sting/Darby/Shingo vs The Bucks/El Phantasmo was at the first Forbidden Door and it was fucking excellent - and I skip most Bucks matches, tbh...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great opener from Hangman/Claudio with a super hot crowd. 

8 man tag was fun and I'm glad we get something else out of it with Archer & the Righteous now challenging for the ROH trios titles on Collision. Deonna vs Red Velvet sounds great to me.

Loved the Joe promo and  always dig when the champ has multiple challengers coming at every turn.

Starks/Sammy was surprisingly quick with a sudden finish, made me think Starks & Bill retain. Enjoyed the post-match brawl set to Judas adding to all the chaos. 

8 woman tag was pretty good. Digging how Bryan Keith keeps showing up on all the shows all over the place lately. 

Good main event with a wild finish. Looking forward to a showdown with the Bucks. 

• Like 3

I don’t think it’s too surprising that Sting picked the Bucks to be his last opponents, he’s stated that he wasn’t going to do any more singles matches and the Bucks are EVPs for the company that has given him the chance to end his career on his terms. 

• Like 4

Prediction: The Sting/Darby vs. Bucks match is going to be a fun, goofy all-over-the arena brawl with a few completely insane spots. 

The Bucks are actually good in a match where you can have chaos. They are a bunch of athletic dudes who are bump freaks and know how to get heat either as faces or especially as heels.

They’re just awful in a type of match that requires structure and psychology and — most importantly —  keeping the facade alive that you are watching an athletic competition with rules. Because the most important part of a tag team match is that the referee is a “strong” character so it makes the heel’s cheating and wrong-doing feel important and builds up anticipation for the faces to overcome those odds. The Bucks just do not do that at all in a regular tag match and it sucks.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Coletti said:

Surely Sting had zero say as to who he'd face in his FINAL MATCH EVER. 

Fuck's sake...

Maya Angelico in the I Know Why The Christian Caged Bird Sings cinematic finale. I'd have paid $60 for that.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

any tag team ever execute a combination back rake/chest rake on an opponent or are some moves too dangerous for wrestling?

If the Bucks are willing to try it, I'm sure Darby can be talked into taking it.

• Haha 4

I don't get where the idea that Sting couldn't work a singles match comes from. He ain't gonna be doing an Omega/Ospreay type of match with anybody, but couldn't he just basically do what he does in every tag match for 10 minutes? Brawl around the arena, jump off something high, brawl back to the ring for the finish. Darby is the perfect guy for that because he'll bump like a maniac for Sting's limited offense. The story is right there too. Sting would love to retire from AEW undefeated but as man of honor, he can't accept that accomplishment by only letting Darby do the heavy lifting. He needs to prove he can actually beat someone that represents the core spirit of AEW on his own merits. Darby has the utmost respect for Sting, but knows he needs to step out of his shadow, not just for himself, but for an entire generation of wrestlers.

Although I will accept the Bucks if the build is them claiming to be the true spirit of AEW and that Darby is a traitor to the cause for aiding a star of the past. Then Darby ends up agreeing and Sting's last match features his partner turning on him.

• Like 2

Also, unrelated to Sting, I never thought I'd be excited for a Righteous match, but them and Archer vs. Mogul Embassy has my interest. Logical setup in the 8-man for what should be a fun heel/heel slugfest.

• Like 4

Speaking of HOOK's lame theme, I think something in vein of MOOSE's Impact/TNA theme would give the needed "Oh, shit..." effect when he decides to assert himself to a situation. It could also have the similar beat for the crowd to chant "HOOK" to.

To be fair, The Bucks are already extremely unlikable so that's not entirely surprising. Them being Sting's final opponents was a fairly poor choice, definitely.

I was honestly taken a little aback by the crowd seemingly cheering Hangman over Claudio.

We should probably close this out lest we go around in circles forever. That should be doable because we have very few bad faith posters here relative to the rest of the internet. It's DVDVR. Let's try to square the circle.

• Sting very likely picked the Bucks as his final opponents. He hasn't had the chance to work them much. He knows they can create the physical action and make him look good. They likely share certain religious beliefs? They're the EVPs of the company and a constant since he's been there.
  • The match will probably be fine to good, maybe even great in some people's minds. If you extrapolate the sort of match Sting and Darby have and put it on a big scale and have the Bucks in there, it's potentially getting five stars from Dave if nothing goes wrong. Again, the bucks can create motion. They haven't interacted much with Darby over the last few years. They're going to bump and feed and sell like crazy. They'll also be annoying heels that Sting can vanquish and probably get some heat given the locale. People can be excited about the match. Past the hint of it at Forbidden Door, it's a fresh pairing.
  • People can also be disappointed about the match. The Bucks aren't for everyone. There are bad faith reasons for that and good faith ones. If you hang around here, you should at least make some attempt to figure out why people may disagree with you, weighed, of course, against their overall posting habits. Starting point should be to assume good faith but certainly people can lose that privilege over time.
  • Some of the people who are disappointed about the match think it'll be fine, but it wasn't at all what they wanted. This isn't a random match. It's a once in a lifetime thing. It's a last chance. There's no future program down the road. It was a last chance and means, for instance, we're never getting Sting vs Bryan Danielson. There's also the possibility that people are more frustrated by the almost two month build, which will be weekly, and will probably feature the Bucks being as annoying as possible, as opposed to something with more gravitas, be it... let's say Vader vs Flair (even if that wasn't a real retirement).
  • Likewise, while it might make sense on paper, the Bucks have been off TV for a bit, so it was out of sight and out of mind and it took people by surprise. They were expecting any number of other possibilities.

So yeah, it's complex and people can have different opinions. My suggestion is that no one (myself included) overly gripes about the sheer existence of this on a daily basis. We've more or less gotten that out of our system in the last 24 hours. If annoying stuff happens next week on Dynamite, that's probably fair game.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7

15 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Some of the people who are disappointed about the match things it'll be fine, but it wasn't at all what they wanted

Is there a fourth option for those of us who like the Bucks, like the match, but just really, really f'n want them to shave those shitty little mustaches?

• Like 1

Just now, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Is there a fourth option for those of us who like the Bucks, like the match, but just really, really f'n want them to shave those shitty little mustaches?

I mean, if you want that to be a stip if they lose, sure. If they win, Sting can't retire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Also, unrelated to Sting, I never thought I'd be excited for a Righteous match, but them and Archer vs. Mogul Embassy has my interest. Logical setup in the 8-man for what should be a fun heel/heel slugfest.

Apologies for the back to back posts, but I really gotta co-sign this one - good call GTS.

Also: It bears repeating how friggin badly I want a Dutch singles run. Vincent is a little too over the top for me - I want "meth head" energy, but he's giving me "theater kid."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Dave said:

Looks like the Bucks were eyeball repellant again this week. The ratings breakdown was… unkind, to say the least. 

My dude, the Bucks were out there for the last minute of the show.

I really love the look of Daily's Place and I'm just a sucker for shows taking place in arenas that look different from the norm.  I LOL'd at Taz asking if the concrete stage had been there before, then the realization dawned on him that it was the stage they always had and it was just a different layout.

• Like 5