DVDVR Message Board

WORLDS END - 12/30/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Even though it was predictable, I am glad they didn't just do a swerve just to not do the story they had planned. That was probably the "right" call even if we all saw it coming, but the next few Dynamites are key to keep the story going and not let it fall flat which is where the real challenge is.

That wasn't a great PPV. I really really enjoyed Mox/Eddie, and Christian/Edge was entertaining (even if the post-match was silly). Everything else ranged from 'why is this on PPV' to just good. But so many Dynamites and Collisions are stacked, it didn't feel really elevated from that and was simply missing too many of the great wrestlers in the promotion (or they were hidden in eight man tags).

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Kang said:

The AEW Continental Championship centerplate seems to be inspired by the SMW Heavyweight Championship. I'm going to need a better look in better quality.

https://www.f4wonline.com/.image/c_limit%2Ccs_srgb%2Cq_auto:good%2Cw_700/MjAzMjg5NDMxNTE0MzU4OTY2/gcpk8z6wyaabxk6.webp

Best I've found so far. Fitting the AEW Continental Championship has a crown on as it's their version of AJPW's Triple Crown with the AEW Continental Championship, ROH World Championship and NJPW Strong Championship.

• Like 2

Stat/Willow was a nice showcase for both. I was expecting some sort of post-match angle given Stokley's involvement.

Yay for Serena Deeb coming back!

When Danhausen made it to the final four I actually hoped they might have him win. Luchasaurus winning made me think they might have yet again some other turn between he and Christian but...then the rest of the show happened.

The FTW title is dumb and pointless. Deciding to not selectively differentiate AEW and ROH and having this be for the Pure Title would have lead to a much better match. What we got wasn't bad but the Sports Entertainment garbage spots didn't do it any favors.

I have always been a big fan of the 8 man Survivor Series elimination matches from the late 80s/early 90s and that's what the opening match reminded me of - just semi-random teams of dudes thrown together and hopefully everyone gets to shine with the team members quasi-cooperating. There were a lot of fun interactions and when Mark went for the J Driller I was hoping he'd get a time to shine on a ppv. Garcia getting the pin was surprising but good for him.

Whatever the fuck the angle it is that set up Andrade/Miro was asinine but the match was great. I just hope they let Miro kick peoples' asses and put the kibosh on any more cringe promos.

I'm not a big fan of Riho but this match was fine and did what it needed to do in making Toni look good.

Poor Keith Lee. Dude is massively talented but every time he gets some momemtum going it ends due to no fault of his own. There are few better hands than Dustin, but I thought the opening cinder block attack kind of took away from the match. They either should have had Swerve just take him out and have no match or just wrestle a clean match. Swerve's heel mannerisms were really next level throughout the whole thing.

Had little interest in the second four way. Nothing was actively bad but it was just a "get more guys a spot on the card" match.

Julia/Abadon was a case of in-ring work can taking a backseat to the character work and both wrestlers did equally well in that respect. The actual wrestling was pretty good too, save for a few rough patches (the flubbed moonsault finisher). For someone who is a character first and foremost Abadon has come a long way in the past year or two and I hope they go into a feud with Skye Blue to keep some momentum going.

I didn't have much interest in Edge/Christian and what I did pay attention to was your average AEW brawl. The end with Luchasaurus once again showing deference to Christian and signing over the title show was pretty dumb. This just means the Edge/Christian program is going to keep on going somehow...

Eddie and Moxley didn't pull any punches out there and I like how the end came from a sudden backfist during the strike exchange. They did the right thing here and let the most deserving guy win. In a business filled with characters and gimmicks, few people come across as legit as Eddie does nowadays. Confirmed the CC is happening again next year. Awesome.

Joe/MJF was good but I feel like the main draw of the match was to pay off the Devil angle rather than the match itself. Cole coming down to ringside felt like it was foreshadowing his eventual reveal as the big bad. Roddy, The Kingdom, and Wardlow being his minions is the best outcome there could have been, even if it was the most widely speculated result. The best part about this is that it hopefully spells the end of Roddy's awful segments.

Nothing stood out as a classic but nothing was actively bad either. This felt like one of WWE's B-list ppvs where most of the matches were better suited to a weekly show than a PPV. FTR/HOB really belonged on here and something tells me will be a lot better than much of what we saw tonight.

• Like 3

LOVED THIS SHOW

We got Riho vs a Scarlet

We got a GOTH OFF

Swerve is an over SUPER VILLAIN 

We got Continental loser battle (Swiss Rush and Mexican Claudio battling to start was amazing)

Kingston is now Super Kings Road

We got Samoa Joe clean victory (as clean as screwy MJF shenanigans can be)

Cope wins in a fun brutal fight

Christian wins again like the piece of shit he is

Great Devil reveal

MJF has now lost everything

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 3

So.. two finishes out of nowhere. Everyone in the chat was like "There's no way that the three arm drops will be the finish." Guess what? It was the finish.

The last three (well, four, if you count the cash in) matches was a great PPV. However, on average, that barely made it an average PPV (not an average AEW PPV, an average wrestling PPV). Just too many strange spots and blown moments.

OWs of the night:

Nick Wayne had about FIVE OW moments, including the last one where he was overshot a flaming table. MJF had a 9.0 OW moment with that skin the cat attempt.

• Like 2

Definitely a 2/3 match show. Glad to have the World title away from the MJF/Cole issue, and super psyched for Samoa Joe who certainly deserves a run. Felt very WWE like tonight in terms of the actual visuals again. Mox/Kingston ... I can't say enough about that one. I was scared Kingston was in trouble when he ate it on that dive. Perhaps they eventually unify this one with OC's belt to create the Quad-Crown Inter-Continental title.

• Like 2

Just read the results of the PPV.

We're going to see MJF on Monday Night Raw after WrestleMania, won't we?

(Unless Tony Khan has re-signed him and we're going to have about a year of Babyface / Our Scumbag MJF chasing after the title against Samoa Joe and the faction around him)

Just now, SirFozzie said:

So. the Kingston overshoot on the dive. Shoot or work? Because that was pretty damn gnarly, but they worked it into the match so smoothly you thought it was planned./

That’s how I interpreted it. They reacted to what happened and made something beautiful out of it. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, JLowe said:

So when I told my wife I was thinking of skipping the PPV, she told me “No you’re not, I need to know who The Devil is”. So there you have a casual fan getting a “smart” to drop $50 on a PPV.

She is pissed that Adam Cole betrayed MJF! I’m glad that the Devil angle is over and the original, obvious answer is what they went with. Lots more meat on the bone with MJF finally trusting someone and being betrayed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Just read the results of the PPV.

We're going to see MJF on Monday Night Raw after WrestleMania, won't we?

(Unless Tony Khan has re-signed him and we're going to have about a year of Babyface / Our Scumbag MJF chasing after the title against Samoa Joe and the faction around him)

I think MJF needs some time off to heal, and they can use his injuries and his betrayal as a reason to hold him out.. and then when he comes back, he's going to be full on asshole no redeeming qualities MJF. "I had a friend. ONCE. and we all know how that turned out"

• Like 7

The question is what next for the Devil- MJF's likely taking time off to heal, Cole needs to heal.  Does he just manage and have the devil goons run roughshod?   I'd be fine with Wardlow just squashing Eddie to make the faction look threatening, with Cole managing, and the Kingdom stooging.  Bring in KOR for more firepower eventually.

• Like 1

Just now, JLowe said:

She is pissed that Adam Cole betrayed MJF! I’m glad that the Devil angle is over and the original, obvious answer is what they went with. Lots more meat on the bone with MJF finally trusting someone and being betrayed.

Adam Cole was the right move instead of a Vince Russo swerve for a swerve's sake...and not Swerve Strickland smart asses ;).

• Like 3