DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DECEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

Billy Graham probably qualifies too, especially once he started quoting Bo Diddley/George Thorogood. 

tou could probably have an interesting breakdown between white guys quoting rock and roll/blues artists in the 60s and 70s, and the white guys rapping in the 90s going forward. (Yo baby, yo baby, you)

And then there’s Johnny B Badd, 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Kind of a foregone conclusion you're just getting to a Dusty/Cena final, right?

Akeem and Filthy Animal Kidman aren't making any waves.

Bite your tongue. How dare you speak ill of Akeem. He is the African Dream after all.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

While we're on the super-safe and definitely not at all sensitive topic of race relations (my bad everyone, we're circling back):

I'm looking at the next few months of possibilities w/r/t the World title scene, and depending what's happening with Max's injuries/his "contract" (lol) I think I see it going like this:

1) MJF drops the title to Joe in his hometown for my now-oft-predicted, Lifetime Achievement "Thanks for saving Wembley" quickie run

2) Joe drops the title in February to Swerve to make him the first Black AEW World champion during Black History Month.

(Editing to add for clarity: this isn't like some pandering, 'lets draw a Black audience' idea - I say this because I think it was enough of a story beat in the Hangman issue that it's going to come back around)

3) We revisit Swerve/Hangman, Swerve/Mox, etc. on the road to Revolution and the world rejoices

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Bite your tongue. How dare you speak ill of Akeem. He is the African Dream after all.

Speaking of African Dream, has there ever been an African Nightmare? If not, wouldn't it be like a high time for one?

20 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

2) Joe drops the title in February to Swerve to make him the first Black AEW World champion during Black History Month.

(Editing to add for clarity: this isn't like some pandering, 'lets draw a Black audience' idea - I say this because I think it was enough of a story beat in the Hangman issue that it's going to come back around)

Not sure you do that and have it not feel like pandering.  Unless Swerve calls his shot and demands the match in February because this is his mission.  Of course, then we need Prince Nana doing the entire Rocky 4 Apollo entrance.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

This just makes me wonder how far The Public Enemy gets on the list, entirely due to their success at the gimmick rather than their in-ring talent. 

1994 (The) Public Enemy is so so corny in my rewatch (to the point of 2nd hand embarrassment), but you can tell it's a gimmick of that era. If you take that gimmick and move it to 2023/2024 without tweaking it heavily, it's a career ender.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

I was thinking an Elon Musk-esque character, but a super terrible neck tat would be icing on that shit sundae!

If he wears a turtle neck until his debut match and then whips it off to reveal some monstrosity on his neck, instant riot

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

1994 (The) Public Enemy is so so corny in my rewatch (to the point of 2nd hand embarrassment), but you can tell it's a gimmick of that era. If you take that gimmick and move it to 2023/2024 without tweaking it heavily, it's a career ender.

The way Rocco Rock says "THE BRUUUUUISE BROTHERS?!!?" still makes me genuinely laugh.

Everything else about them makes me laugh too, for very different and not intended reasons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

Speaking of African Dream, has there ever been an African Nightmare? If not, wouldn't it be like a high time for one?

Well we did have the Nigerian Nightmares so we can extrapolate that all of Africa shares one dream but their nightmares are regional.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Not sure you do that and have it not feel like pandering.  Unless Swerve calls his shot and demands the match in February because this is his mission.  Of course, then we need Prince Nana doing the entire Rocky 4 Apollo entrance.

Yeah, you're probably right - it came to me as more of an icing on the cake/put it just over the top thing because I figured we were heading toward Swerve getting it regardless, so I thought it might make it more personally meaningful for Swerve's character/the audience (and who knows, maybe the real guy too, idk). I concede it could be viewed as a tone deaf idea even with positive intentions behind it unless handled basically exactly how you laid it out. The last thing I want is for his eventual run to have some kind of asterisk next to it in the eyes of bad faith actors if my idea came across pandery (panderic?) - like a very dumb, possibly racist version of "Ya know, Jinder is only WWE Champ for the India expansion..."

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

(The) Public Enemy

I just like writing it like that after going back and hearing Joey Styles always adding the "The". And watching those old promos is actually really funny. I love it when the utter redneckness of Johnny's voice comes creeping through when he gets serious. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

starks-mjf-1140x570.jpg

Just over a year after this promo, one of these gentlemen is arguably the biggest face in the company while the other one is a midcard heel after losing his steam. 🧐

I remember being down on the whole concept of a Starks/Jericho feud when it was happening, and while that feud wasn't the only thing that went astray for Ricky in the last year.. boy did that kick off a bad swing for him

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I do feel that after going over hangman in the texas death match, the only next step is the world title.

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I'm pretty sure their feud with The Gangsters had to do with New Jack labeling them as "fake", but yes the whole "white b-boys" thing looks extremely retrograde in hindsight

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pete said:

starks-mjf-1140x570.jpg

Just over a year after this promo, one of these gentlemen is arguably the biggest face in the company while the other one is a midcard heel after losing his steam. 🧐

Yeah. Jericho & Philliam both leeching his heat really set him back. He’s rebounded pretty well with this tag w Big Bill though.

Earlier today my iPad was telling me that I had been banned and I was wondering what I did given that I haven’t posted any particularly spicy takes or attacked anyone. Turns out it was an iPad issue but all the same, with Santa doing last minute prep, I’ll be extra nice. Plus I likely won’t be able to watch this week’s shows until I’m home next week.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Earlier today my iPad was telling me that I had been banned and I was wondering what I did given that I haven’t posted any particularly spicy takes or attacked anyone. Turns out it was an iPad issue but all the same, with Santa doing last minute prep, I’ll be extra nice. Plus I likely won’t be able to watch this week’s shows until I’m home next week.

Glad to see the situation is resolved!

• Like 1