DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/4 - 10/10/2023 - On This Day, I. P. Freely

Dolfan in NYC

Speaking of cameras it seems like they were shooting Collision differently to avoid showing the sparse crowd and I kinda liked it.  Having fewer hard cam shots and more tight close ups and high angle oblique shots of the ring gave it a different feel.

• Like 2

Haven't seen Collison yet, but so far: Nick vs Rey was very exciting, but I guess Nick Jackson, the belt collector isn't going to be a thing, after all?

The Roddy, Kingdom Cole skit was excellent, but not so good I needed to see it twice in a row. I had no audio problems the first time! The look on Taven's face while all of that was going on was priceless! Those guys now do have an alibi for the Jay White mugging, though! So, there goes my theory.

Wardlow and Griff are back. Well, after that, we may not see Griff back for a while.

Taking Sammy away from the tag match and adding Fletcher improved the quality of the match many times over, but also deluded the credibility of the heel team so much that it was obvious that who was going to eat the pin. Well, Hobbs made sure that the faces didn't celebrate for too long! Jericho tried to shield Omega from the attack? Surprisingly selfless act on his part!

So MJF vs Jay White at Full Gear? OK, I have no problem with that! Bullet Club Gold seems to actually believe it was MJF behind the attack. I can't say I blame them, but no ninjas were there to help MJF this time, so you would think they would start to wonder? Well, Jay got what he wanted, so I  guess that's all he cares about and those ninjas weren't really after him, so he doesn't have to worry about them anymore.

Mindless Toni Storm was pretty awesome! What? Oh, "Timeless", right! Well, still pretty awesome! Vintage gear was a very nice touch!

Whatever the drink in Samoa Joe's glass was, THAT'S how you fill your glass! A true king!

Danhausen is coming!

So Mox will be regaining the international title next week? Can't see Fenix beating him twice in a row.

A great promo by Christian Cage! Needed significantly less words than Adam Copeland to get his feelings across perfectly!

Interesting show, Rampage was a bit throwaway, but had its moments. I'll get to Collison tomorrow (I mean this afternoon, once I wake up).

Edited by Shartnado
typos fixed
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

For a couple of "old school pros," FTR sure did booboo face their way through their opening promo. 

Strange, I thought their promo was an excellent precursor of what was to come. Further, I find it hard to believe FTR weren't fully/creatively behind ending their title run here exactly as they did. They're well known fans of Ricky and Bill. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JLowe said:

I agree with all this. I've said before that trying to watch WWE makes me queasy from all the cuts and lights and angles.

Saw a photo someone took at the show during the tag title match and yeah, that place was barren. They actually did a decent job on TV making it look less empty than it actually was.

I’m not epileptic but WWE production makes me completely understand epilepsy.  I know I tend toward hyperbole in my writing but that shit legit overwhelms me.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Speaking of cameras it seems like they were shooting Collision differently to avoid showing the sparse crowd and I kinda liked it.  Having fewer hard cam shots and more tight close ups and high angle oblique shots of the ring gave it a different feel.

That’s how they shoot ROH every week 😅

IIRC, didn't AJ Styles have to look very awkward to do the Styles Clash on Edge? I could be thinking of him working with someone else but it was something to do with Edge's neck or the height difference.

The Canadian Destroyer might be literal if you did it to Edge.

• Haha 3

On 10/8/2023 at 11:32 AM, Curt McGirt said:

You know, thinking about it, the kid looks like Ospreay if he had a giant syringe stuck in his body and all his muscle mass sucked out. Or if they just starved him for a month.

Dude's 18. It's gonna be another 5 years before he can pile on muscle mass.

Collision was kind of a nothing show outside of the tag title change. All in all, it's probably good the belts were forced of FTR. We didn't need them and The Bucks again so soon, and Ricky and Bill have been delivering the goods every week despite bad booking. Hopefully they see the big picture here and don't have the Bucks go over in LA.

Timeless Toni is a top act in wrestling right now. Love that they bothered to type out an actual script.

Generally speaking, I think AEW needs to book smaller venues for their weekly shows. The other option is drastically lowering ticket prices and comping the fuck out of under-performing cities. They should know by now what cities they can run a big arena in with a decent card (Chicago, Toronto, NY, London). No need to force it and have 20% full arena pics surfacing elsewhere. I don't think even MNW-era WWE and WCW were running 10K+ arenas every week. WWE didn't start that until they were way ahead and into their monopoly days.

Edited by Go2Sleep
  • Like 3

You Can’t Canadian Destroyer Copeland being a recurring spot would be fun.

Actually I’d love a veteran coming into the company from elsewhere after spending months of prep time mastering counters for super kicks, cutters, and topes and never getting hit with any. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Godfrey said:

I want them to run Louisville Gardens, it's a better size and it would make someone's head explode

He'd be amazed that anybody was able to run the Gardens since it would be the Louisville-specific version of running your TV show out of the Mid-South Coliseum. In the sense that both buildings haven't been knocked down due to historical status and other relevant reasons.

Freedom Hall is the smaller of the two main Louisville arenas and it's a massive building (18885 for Basketball) that only hosts sparsely attended Bellarmine basketball games these days and Bellarmine obviously doesn't bother selling tickets for most of the building.

On 10/8/2023 at 2:16 PM, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

Now I'm listening to Observer Radio and DAVE is speculating that someone is fucking with AEW.  Apparently Dax and Nigel's real names were put in the description of the show. 

Throwing the ass eating guys out there followed by Toni and Kiera was interesting booking for Utah.  I felt bad for Kiera getting zero reaction, plus it's racist ass Utah where she's ostensibly supposed to be a face against a heel? who gets cheered....she got put in a tough spot here but I thought they had a fun match

There was an episode that was listed as "Starring Jay Reso"

The face heel dynamic in the women's match is an example of ift someone is fun enough they end up a babyface, Toni was a heel with the outcasts but that's shifted with the Vinettes. Also anybody notice that Ruby dropped the outcast green.

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Eddie vs Komander was a little sloppy but Eddie made it work through sheer force of will.  JR talks his size queen bullshit about a dude's physique so it must be a day that ends in a Y.

I didn't have a problem with JR calling eddie a dumptruck. trust me on this if a corvette drives into a truck, the vettes gonna lose.

Edited by zendragon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

He'd be amazed that anybody was able to run the Gardens since it would be the Louisville-specific version of running your TV show out of the Mid-South Coliseum. In the sense that both buildings haven't been knocked down due to historical status and other relevant reasons.

Then it would explode a few heads! My vote is for Tony to buy them and fix them up for historical reasons

On 10/5/2023 at 12:05 AM, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

What moves actually put Fenix down for a 3 count?  He doesn't get pinned often, I'm genuinely curious.  Kicking out of that top rope cutter was something

None. You see he's an undead zombie similar to the undertaker. This all took place in Lucha Underground , which has been established as part of the AEW Canon by Ex on commentary for Fox v Swerve

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

"it's psychology, Maggle, Edge hurt his neck years ago and bulldogs touch the neck"

(I guess Luchasaurus would kill someone if he tried using the Piledriver)

I thought it was a lariet to his SURGICALLY REPARIED NECK!!! which he did mention in a round about way in his promo (thought the main event promo was a bit of a mixed bag)

Yeah, it was a Northern Lariat/ Enzuilariat. Only Luchasaurus didn't lay it in too hard, for obvious reasons.

It is pretty noticeable that Copeland doesn't do his full WWE entrance on TV. He only runs to the side of the stage where actual fans are, then back to the middle. He used to Both Sides it back in the day (two months ago).

• Like 1

since I get emails from Cable Dahmer Arena (I don't know how I ended up getting their e-mails).. the "Know Before You Go" email..

• Photo of Edge in-between graphics for Dynamite/Rampage
  • Box office opens at 10am (the last time I attended a show in the building, I showed up at 3:30 to buy a ticket for the card later that night). Doors at 5:30. Show starts at 6:30.
  • "Download our mobile app"
  • Parking is $10 if you buy it online more than 24hrs before the event and $20 the day of the show. "Event parking is not allowed in the Costco parking lot" (tough shit dummies!). The hockey team in that building talks up never charging for parking and some people around here haaaaate that the Kansas City Royals charge $20 for parking.
  • (EDIT: looking at the satellite photo, the Golden Corral is closer to the arena than the Costco, but I think they might figure something is up if you park there and immediately bolt for the arena. How many times do you think people had to park at Costco for them to specifically tell people not to park at Costco)
  • All concessions only accept debit, credit and gift cards. Guests are able to transfer cash onto gift cards in $10 increments.
  • No oversized bags, backpacks, or duffle bags are allowed in the arena except for diaper bags and medical bags

I'd imagine most of that is pretty standard for post-2020 arena life.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Generally speaking, I think AEW needs to book smaller venues for their weekly shows. The other option is drastically lowering ticket prices and comping the fuck out of under-performing cities. They should know by now what cities they can run a big arena in with a decent card (Chicago, Toronto, NY, London). No need to force it and have 20% full arena pics surfacing elsewhere. I don't think even MNW-era WWE and WCW were running 10K+ arenas every week. WWE didn't start that until they were way ahead and into their monopoly days.

Agreed hugely on this. Weekend was super busy, so we just finished a rare 'Monday Nitro' edition of Collision on the DVR, and though they did an unbelievably fantastic job with the creative camera work, the sound gives them away - there's just no way to cover up Edge sounding like he's cutting that promo in an empty cavern (except one guy chanting 'fuck you Christian' at equal volume) or the absolute pin-drop silence for anyone with a hint of melanin in their bodies (it *is* Utah). I was talking the other day about the new sets and everything, and part of me kinda wonders if they're in a position where they can't go back to running the B buildings because they may have issues with load-in clearances, height/weight restrictions on the floors/ceilings, or even just the straight up height of the ceilings.

Edit: I would also be remiss if I didn't mention how psyched I am about our new World Tag Champs!! Easily the highlight of the show for me, along with a rare and awesome Angelico sighting. Their promo later in the show also ruled - I'm hard pressed to think of two guys who deserve it more than Starks and Big Bill. I'm especially happy for Bill given the real life stuff he's gone through since parting ways with NXT

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1