DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/4 - 10/10/2023 - On This Day, I. P. Freely

Dolfan in NYC

7 hours ago, Technico Support said:

There was a man holding a literal infant in the second row, visible during Hobb’s ringside beatdown.  Had to text my brother in CA to ask if Stockton is the trashy part of the state.

It's where Nate Diaz is from, so draw your own conclusions.

Another promo heavy Dynamite, but at least this one wasn't all "serious business." Roddy still yelling "AAADAM" when Cole is right next to him is great. Bennett and Taven are excellent stooges.

Toni's "all in" with her new Timeless act and I love it. "A word from our sponsors... NOW IT'S TIME FOR A TITTY SLAP" is hands down the best mid-match cutaway of all time.

Good to see Hobbs and Wardlow back. It's kind of amazing that Wardlow stays as over he does for how poorly he's been booked since the MJF split.

The E/C (or A/J) reunion was well done. Felt like a big deal but still part of a bigger angle, not just a straight nostalgia trip. Copeland's promo was mostly good. I don't know if anyone has ever called Juice Robinson "The Stray Bullet" before, but if not, he should be thanking the hell out of Copeland for giving him an infinitely better nickname than "Rock Hard." Despite his goofy gimmick, that nickname always just comes across too Russo-ish for my liking, but I digress... I also liked the foreshadowing of Nick Wayne and Luchasaurus turning on Christian, which could very well set up the tag team reunion some time next year). Nick Wayne has that super sleazy dickhead "no morals" energy, and Adam Copeland should be able to relate. Christian's part in this was perfect. I will say I hope they don't focus too much on a Christian/Copeland feud beyond the obvious 6 man at Full Gear. Let them go their separate ways for a while and get the feel-good reunion when it's right, probably around All In next year for a match with FTR.

• Like 3

On 10/4/2023 at 10:38 PM, Gordlow said:

There were SEVERAL instances during this show where I thought "I am enjoying this SO much more than my buddy Matt right now. Also probably my friend Paul. And various others over on DVDVR."

Then i started to look forward to reading the reactions here.

Then I thought, "Fuck it, let's go post my apparently-contrarian and "dammit, Gordlow!" type thoughts...

I'm fully on the contrarian side too. I thoroughly enjoyed this show. Granted I didn’t have to sit thru commercials or the kinda lame Cole/Roddy sketch a second time thru. I liked the uncommon backstage Omega/Jericho/Adam promo to begin. Renee is so damn good at her job. I'll never understand the viewer watching Rey Fenix v Nick Jackson and complaining. This was particularly impressive considering Fenix's limitations. Wardlow squash, yay! I wouldn't mind a full on moratorium of Wardy squashes. I watched this early this morning and I cannot remember much at all about Acclaimed/Dad Ass v Kip/Butch/Blade. I dug the Acclaimed interruption on the MJF promo. Are the Acclaimed part of the masked maruauders? Or a red herring? Toni promo really ought not be previewed with a 'big announcement', but I guess that is what they tend to do. Nice Danielson-Sabre package, but a bit more action in the preview might've sold a few more replays. BCG/MJF promo was fine and solid. Stoked for the battle! Hook-Orange promo was fun. Jericho/Omega v Takeshita/Fletcher seems to be where I'm most contrarian - I thought it was excellent! The post match was lengthy, but nice to see Hobbs get a role. Loved the gimmicked chairshot! Skye v Toni was fine. Stokely promo was fun. What an awesome Samoa Joe promo! And to my surprise, sorta, Adam Copeland comes out and cuts a fun, on point promo. Edge promos on HHHWWETV, during my six month watching run, were amongst the worst things in wrestling. Drop the script, let him improv, and voila! Nothing contrarian in saying, Christian Cage is one of the best in the business right now. Fucking awesome! 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Felt kinda weird to not have Copeland save Kenny and Jericho after having their little backstage bit and knowing he was there while they did explain the rest of the Elite not being there. Pretty great Copeland/Christian ending regardless.

Totally. I also think they rely too much on Excalibur to explain details, in this case an absence, that ought to be seen. A quick cut of the Bucks heading off to the hospital would've been helpful. Who told the live crowd AEW Creative?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

That was a bad crowd

So many neckbeards caught singing "Judas" last night. So, so many. 

Looked like Joe's "whisky" was red Kool-Aid. Somebody should ask him.

Funny thing is they fixed the audio for the segment re-airing, then IT JUST WENT BACK TO NORMAL WEIRD-ASS AEW AUDIO. Say what you want about WWE but I've never heard their announcers buried in the crowd and ring noise. It's just second-tier for all the money they have, and sad. 

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

It's where Nate Diaz is from, so draw your own conclusions.

Ever seen that Ultimate Fighter where one the brothers is in the house and he just scrawls the Stockton area code over all the walls? I have an area code stick-and-poke on my leg and even think it was 1. a bit much, and 2. Mr. Diaz probably needed special care in school. (I like the guy... please don't tell him I said that?)

Man, I am fucking down with this Christian Edge storyline. You gotta believe ending his career alongside his “brother” is a legitimate reason for Edge coming to AEW, and fuck yeah he’s doing it while Christian doing the best dickhead heel work of his entire career.

Wrestling fucking rules.

• Like 7

On 10/4/2023 at 11:30 PM, DreamBroken said:

Felt kinda weird to not have Copeland save Kenny and Jericho after having their little backstage bit and knowing he was there while they did explain the rest of the Elite not being there. Pretty great Copeland/Christian ending regardless.

What was the explanation?

17 hours ago, Technico Support said:

There was a man holding a literal infant in the second row, visible during Hobb’s ringside beatdown.  Had to text my brother in CA to ask if Stockton is the trashy part of the state.

Beautiful downtown Stockton, your hotel will overlook a crime scene!

This was a bad show. Opening match was not good, tag match and the aftermath went on way too long, and I had to watch that god aweful adam cole skit twice.

At least I have MJF v Kingswitch to look forward too

highlight of the show was tazz implying Toni is a vampire and Skye's reaction to all of Timeless Toni's nonsense 

EXCLUSIVE: After Dynamite went off the air, RATED-R Superstar Adam Copeland SPEARS Luchasaurus! - YouTube

• Like 2

11 hours ago, J.T. said:

I would buy a Toni Storm "Titty Slapper" shirt in a minute but was her breaking fourth wall and telling the television audience to watch the messages from the lovely sponsors right before Picture-In-Picture really necessary?

How the fuck does she know when they are going to make the cut?  It's not like she's in an MMA match where the combatants can see the fight clock

Toni going out of her way to shill kinda fits within the context of her Marlene Dietrich gimmick, but it was still rather business exposing.  Part of my enjoyment of the pro wrestling is knowing it's a lie and accepting it because none of the participants drop hints that what I am watching is a lie..

Maybe she's aware enough that the PIP usually happens the first time a match goes to the floor (or she over heard it from the time keeper in PIP)

Guess I missed EX's expiation with all the audio issues tonight 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Stockton is the site of where Vader splashed Gorilla Monsoon so that fan was probably being held up as a child watching history in 1996

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

15 hours ago, J.T. said:

I would buy a Toni Storm "Titty Slapper" shirt in a minute but was her breaking fourth wall and telling the television audience to watch the messages from the lovely sponsors right before Picture-In-Picture really necessary?

How the fuck does she know when they are going to make the cut?  It's not like she's in an MMA match where the combatants can see the fight clock

Toni going out of her way to shill kinda fits within the context of her Marlene Dietrich gimmick, but it was still rather business exposing.  Part of my enjoyment of the pro wrestling is knowing it's a lie and accepting it because none of the participants drop hints that what I am watching is a lie..

Yeah I am going to say that a grow ass man wearing a "Titty Slapper" shirt is about as wise as me wearing my Eddie Kingston tee covered in blood with a can of gasoline in his hands.   🫤

Also I am not sure if this is people trying to will this into existence but people are convinced that Skye Blue and Willow are starting to suffer from the same effects that Julia Hart did when she got misted a year or so ago.   It is true that Skye wasn't her usual perky self this week.  Willow I didn't see

4 hours ago, zendragon said:

Maybe she's aware enough that the PIP usually happens the first time a match goes to the floor (or she over heard it from the time keeper in PIP)

The ref tells the wrestlers when they are in a commercial/PIP/etc. 

Per the FITE app, Rampage will be:

Daddy Magic, Cool Hand Ang, Jake Hager & Daniel Garcia take on The Hardys & Best Friends in an 8-Man Tag match. Kris Statlander & Hikaru Shida face off Nyla Rose & Marina Shafir.

Johnny TV vs Komander vs Lince Dorado vs Penta El Zero Miedo in a Winner gets a shot at the ROH World Championship match.

Not a bad birthday present from AEW to ole Gordlow (literally old. I am turning 58 tomorrow). It's been a pretty darn good birthday week thus far. Participated in a sake tasting event on Tuesday, serving (and describing and explaining) 4 delicious and rare local sakes to the 1000 participants of the United Nations PRI conference; then my wife and daughters took me out for a steak dinner on Wednesday (because the girls are busy with ballet tomorrow evening, (though there will be time for cake afterward); Thursday was a really enjoyable Dynamite plus I had time for an epic workout; Today I had a drinking lesson with some of my long time private students and got some really excellent sake and umeshu as well as pickled baby corn (!) and a full set of the gold (rich taste) Cup Noodles among my gifts; plus we ate a ton of yakitori. Then tomorrow Rampage, a COVID booster (my doctor thinks it's funny to give it to me as a bday present) (I kind of agree) and (presumably) delicious cake. Hopefully I will be able to squeeze in a quick workout also, if the vaccination doesn't take too much outa me.

Only kinda sad thing is that my old friend Seth/Salty the Seaman was in town working for Cooger while I was away at the sake event, so I missed the karaoke party. On the other hand, I got a free ride on the "bullet train."

I think this is Lince's AEW debut! Anyone know for sure? He's yet another Chikara guy (like Mad King and Orange/Fire Ant) that  came over here to do a tour with Osaka Pro back in the early 2010s. I'm stoked to see him and also stoked for Rampage being a little bit random and weird and WAR-ish (which I personally LOVE) on my actual birthday. Hooray!

Also the birthday umeshu is just unbelievably good. Made in my wife's home prefecture of Wakayama, which is famous for plums. Also my wife bought our girls a Chihuahua puppy and he is a VERY good boy and I suspect my daughters will give me a little present "from" the dog and if so I will most likely be delighted.

Edited by Gordlow
Bullet Train
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 3

I'm not sure I can refer to any crowd that takes a wet shit on either Young Buck as "bad." More like "discerning." 

Juice Robinson is the second best I've ever seen at yelling into a camera and having NAT sound pick him up. He carries on the tradition proudly started by Stevie Ray. Also, I'd pay fives of dollars to see him yell "it's on like neckbone, sucka" like Stevie Ray used to. Fun story; I popped my 8th grade basketball coach by yelling that at a rival team when we got in a dust up after a hard foul. I was awesome.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Daddy Magic, Cool Hand Ang, Jake Hager & Daniel Garcia take on The Hardys & Best Friends in an 8-Man Tag match. Kris Statlander & Hikaru Shida face off Nyla Rose & Marina Shafir.

Johnny TV vs Komander vs Lince Dorado vs Penta El Zero Miedo in a Winner gets a shot at the ROH World Championship match.

Not a bad birthday present from AEW to ole Gordlow (literally old. I am turning 58 tomorrow). It's been a pretty darn good birthday week thus far. Participated in a sake tasting event on Tuesday, serving (and describing and explaining) 4 delicious and rare local sakes to the 1000 participants of the United Nations PRI conference; then my wife and daughters took me out for a steak dinner on Wednesday (because the girls are busy with ballet tomorrow evening, (though there will be time for cake afterward); Thursday was a really enjoyable Dynamite plus I had time for an epic workout; Today I had a drinking lesson with some of my long time private students and got some really excellent sake and umeshu as well as pickled baby corn (!) and a full set of the gold (rich taste) Cup Noodles among my gifts; plus we ate a ton of yakitori. Then tomorrow Rampage, a COVID booster (my doctor thinks it's funny to give it to me as a bday present) (I kind of agree) and (presumably) delicious cake. Hopefully I will be able to squeeze in a quick workout also, if the vaccination doesn't take too much outa me.

Only kinda sad thing is that my old friend Seth/Salty the Seaman was in town working for Cooger while I was away at the sake event, so I missed the karaoke party. On the other hand, I got a free ride on the "bullet train."

I think this is Lince's AEW debut! Anyone know for sure? He's yet another Chikara guy (like Mad King and Orange/Fire Ant) that  came over here to do a tour with Osaka Pro back in the early 2010s. I'm stoked to see him and also stoked for Rampage being a little bit random and weird and WAR-ish (which I personally LOVE) on my actual birthday. Hooray!

Also the birthday umeshu is just unbelievably good. Made in my wife's home prefecture of Wakayama, which is famous for plums. Also my wife bought our girls a Chihuahua puppy and he is a VERY good boy and I suspect my daughters will give me a little present "from" the dog and if so I will most likely be delighted.

Happy Birthday Gordlow!

And to answer your question about Lince, yes this is his AEW debut! And if he wins and the match takes place on a ROH branded show, it'll be his debut there too.

Edited by porksweats
mfer said wardlow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

Happy birthday my friend, will give you a shoutout in the appropriate thread my time tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I love that story! I'm a huge proponent of the Harlem Heat shit-talk. I bought their act huge as a kid - every time they walked out on WCW TV was like a mini-"Scared Straight"

Of all the gimmicks they tried with the Harris Brothers, they never tried a team of dudes who are supposed to scare the fans into not committing crimes

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

just realized the Tuesday Dynamite is in my town (I don't feel like going outside, but i'll try to remember to watch it even if I don't have a Nielsen box and can't help it in the ratings)

I got tickets yesterday, they have decent ones now for $24. Normally my group just buys the $95 dead center hard camera seats without blinking, but 2/3 of us had other shit going on, so we waited to see if the prices dropped. We're one section off the hard camera closer to the stage, but there aren't many bad seats at the Independence Events Center (that changes sponsors every other year).

For a city that isn't super important to AEW, KC usually gets something kinda big. Pac/Kenny 2/3 falls, Will Ospreay debut, Kenny/Vikingo, and now Copeland's in-ring debut. Swerve/Danielson and Jay/Hangman should be nice too.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Of all the gimmicks they tried with the Harris Brothers, they never tried a team of dudes who are supposed to scare the fans into not committing crimes

Lol with their literal hate crime shirts on - I guess that's a new take on 'delusional heel'

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Gordlow said:

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Happy birthday my friend, will give you a shoutout in the appropriate thread my time tomorrow.

https://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/8139-happy-birthday-thread/page/15/#comment-1328380

• Thanks 1