DVDVR Message Board

October 2023 Wrestling Discussion

2 hours ago, Just Dave said:

I guess I just differ in my fundamental desire for what a midcard title is and should be, because my first thought when I read this was; "so?" Like, is that what the IC Title is supposed to be? I've always thought that if every title were equally as prestigious as every other, there's no point in challenging for one over the other. Gunther is awesome because he's awesome. He didn't need a midcard title to legitimize him. Idk, maybe I just don't have the sentimental attachment to that title that some others do. Like, not every title needs to be prestigious. 

Before the new World Heavyweight title  the IC belt was built as the second behind the Universal title which is barely defended. I think making that title seem important is great for Raw. Most the time he defends the title its the hook to tune in for the next Raw of when ever he's booked to put it on the line. 

I don't know it anyone on this board can name all the belts in WWE of the top of their head so I don't see why some of them shouldn't be prestigious. The titles seem more important to the wrestlers than the people booking  the show. The lack of emphasis on the women's tag titles played a role in Sasha and Naomi leaving. It's not just a prop to some of these guys for some maybe sentimental reasons in the case of these older title and others just a sense of pride wanting to bring value to some of these titles. Seth Rollins knows deep down his title will never mean as much as Roman's but I get the sense that he really wants to build that title up to be the title to fight for and to be the main focus even if the machine isn't behind him the same way as they are behind Roman

• Like 1

Presumably, there’s a middle ground between “it’s just a prop” and “getting the date I won the title tattooed on me.” 

in the WWE, you wonder sometimes if they put a belt on someone because of their Q-rating or ability to do celebrity events more than their ability to draw money/ratings/merch, let alone “have good matches.” 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FourPostMassacre said:

Yea no. We’re talking about the guy who only took 20 minute power naps his whole life because he was so entrenched in his position that up until the moment they completely cut him off was still trying to be in charge of creative. 

I know Vince has endeared himself to some people here with his weird behavior or onscreen personality over the years but he’s a garbage human being.

Quoting these kind of posts and picking them apart just makes some of y’all look like you’re defending his actions and not trying to “engage in healthy debate” like we always only ever do in the monthly thread right!? 

Huh? I'm not sure how my post could be seen as defending Vince.

Figured out a potentially dumb stip match that probably wouldn't get anybody hurt after seeing a photo from last night's NXT with Corbin/Dijak/Melo all in leather jackets

A leather jacket on a pole match where you win by incapacitating your opponent so much that you can put on the leather jacket. Gotta make sure the jacket is potentially too small that you have to slowly put the jacket on.

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Figured out a potentially dumb stip match that probably wouldn't get anybody hurt after seeing a photo from last night's NXT with Corbin/Dijak/Melo all in leather jackets

A leather jacket on a pole match where you win by incapacitating your opponent so much that you can put on the leather jacket. Gotta make sure the jacket is potentially too small that you have to slowly put the jacket on.

FMCC6-lXEAQGWfG.jpg

Tank Abbott vs. Big Al - Superbrawl 2000

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Pretty sure Tank Abbott would have invented the Canadian Destroyer if he was asked to do a sunset flip

Of all the 1990s UFC guys, Shamrock has to be the guy who was the best balance of having a pro wrestling personality and being a normal person. Someone like Tank had a pro wrestlers personality but didn’t really need/want to work like a pro wrestler

Looking at Tank Abbott's cagematch and he had waaaaay more WCW matches than I would have guessed.  He squashed Muta in 45 seconds, which I have no memory of.

Did we ever figure out who Big Al was?  I remember the IWC at the time not having any idea.

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Pretty sure Tank Abbott would have invented the Canadian Destroyer if he was asked to do a sunset flip

Of all the 1990s UFC guys, Shamrock has to be the guy who was the best balance of having a pro wrestling personality and being a normal person. Someone like Tank had a pro wrestlers personality but didn’t really need/want to work like a pro wrestler

Well I mean Shamrock and Severn basically had their MMA careers run concurrent with their pro wrestling career with Ken's start predating his NHB stuff.

If you have Jeff Sherwood, the founder and namesake of Sherdog.com and Tank's good friend for several years, tell it then Tank probably would prefer to spend his whole life in a bar or just hanging out as a beach bum in Huntington Beach. Tank's success in UFC was extremely brief if not really memorable but it happened when very few people were getting paid. He likely saw folks from MMA going into pro wrestling, needed some cash, and people were willing to help him out since he did have a name. 

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

not sure if it was a missed opportunity or for the best that Tank Abbott and Bruiser Bedlam never crossed paths because they'd either end up quick friends and/or get into a fight with each other

Most likely, the former.

IIRC I think Meltzer met Tank either at Bash at the Beach 1995 in Huntington Beach or maybe the day before when he (Meltzer, not Tank) was at a AAA card nearby and just out and about. Either way it would have the same week of UFC 6 when Tank's UFC run started, and he had that brutal KO of John Matua. So theoretically, he could have been in wrestling years earlier.

23 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Tank being at BATB 95 makes me think of what if some insane person booked a Tank Abbott/Vader match

Had UWFi not folded and the cards were played right, Tank vs. Super Vader would have done big business. Match would have been the shits, but big business nonetheless.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Did we ever figure out who Big Al was?  I remember the IWC at the time not having any idea.

911 from ECW. Sabu’s handler, who only knew one move (and it was a Chokeslam).

• Thanks 1