DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 9/27 - 10/3/2023 - Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Dolfan in NYC

Before he left, CM Ponk was feuding with Ricky Starks, and had a loose alliance with FTR. Since he returned, Bryan Danielson has been feuding with Ricky Starks, and is now teaming with FTR. Does kind of feel like they just took the booking plans Word document, and did a Find/Change in the edit bar.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, southofheavy said:

Right on, good sir. Right on. 

(I was juuuuust thinking about Bad Dudes the other day for some odd reason.)

The next social media trend should be women asking their male partners how often they think about Bad Dudes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, w. josh said:

The next social media trend should be women asking their male partners how often they think about Bad Dudes. 

One of my neighbors growing up had worked for Data East and had a Bad Dudes cabinet in his basement, which is still the height of cool.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, AxB said:

Before he left, CM Ponk was feuding with Ricky Starks, and had a loose alliance with FTR. Since he returned, Bryan Danielson has been feuding with Ricky Starks, and is now teaming with FTR. Does kind of feel like they just took the booking plans Word document, and did a Find/Change in the edit bar.

Would that also mean Punk would have 3 straight clean singles wins over Ricky? 

The entire last week was pretty awesome! I feel like Christian Cage had it planned out like that from the get-go! The talk about him not really being the TNT-champion got to him and he just had to steal the title from Luchasaurus.

This week, he wants Darby to bring everyone to their match, especially Nick's mom!

The Jarrett-Fenix was really entertaining.

The Cole-MJF was fun, but are we sure that Cole is hurt as badly as he seems? I mean he may be more hurt than Roddy at this point and that's saying...nothing, actually.

If it wasn't for the ending, I would have believed Cole is really hurt and needs surgery, but the guy in the Devil mask obviously wasn't MJF. Roddy, The Kingdom and O'Reilly makes four, but what if it actually was Cole under that mask?

Anyway, the PPV looks bonkers!

Nick Jackson winning a match involving Brian Cage AND Claudio probably raised an eyebrow somewhere!

• Like 3

I apparently turned the show off too early, but on the other hand they hadn't really done much to hold my attention.

With the Bucks and Lucha Bros, there was more thigh-slapping than the crowd at a Blue Collar Comedy tour show.

Seriously, I'm tired of the Bucks, I'm tired of the Lucha Bros.

Fenix-Jarrett was a lot of Memphis that didn't really work for me last night, and Fenix whiffed a corner kick by a solid foot.

Claudio-Brian Cage was interesting and fun. Superkick spam was not, although I will say that having a huge dude like Cage meant that Jackson could land some flip moves more solidly.

The four-way was so overbooked and focused on Penta to Poochie levels.

The Cole-MJF skit was fun. The live mic stuff was not, and then MJF spent something like 45 minutes having to explain his "sick burns" on Jay White. I thought White more than held his own and his work had a point: triggering Max's insecurities. I said it before, but the "He's our scumbag" has the potential to turn Hoganesque in a not good way.

Julia-Willow was almost default MOTN by being a straight wrestling match that wasn't overbooked. Julia being able to hit a very good, very solid moonsault because of Willow being a larger opponent helped. Lots of people on Bluesky want a Willow-Brody King match. I don't.

Having a contract signing main event didn't work this time. 

• Like 2

Man, I really liked that episode of Dynamite, even the really long MJF promo, except for the very end. It doesn't make sense to me for why you'd have one of the top heels in the company get jumped by a bunch of ninjas. And trying to turn MJF heel is going to be really fucking hard. Maybe harder that anyone realizes. We're talking on the level of trying to turn Stone Cold heel.

• Like 1

Tony Khan hyped WrestleDream as the end of an era and the beginning of a new era. He’s most likely referring to the MAX deal, but I think he was hinting at many things, including storyline elements. 

The era of The Undisputed Kingdom.

Cole was under the devil mask and has been working Max the entire time. I don’t think the injury is a work, but that was the catalyst for Adam framing MJF since now his plans to win the title are delayed. So now the idea is to break Max down psychologically, one piece at a time. The first piece is escalating the feud with Jay White and taking the tag belts away in one fell swoop. After Sunday, Max will be at his lowest point since becoming champion. Perfect time for someone to come in a swoop the Triple B away. I think the plan was for Cole to beat MJF but with the injury it may have delayed things, but I have another idea: Wardlow. 

A heel War Dog with Addddam! in a wheelchair and Orielly, Roddy, and the Kingdom as his henchmen seems pretty well rounded. Echoes of the Bloodline. And then when Wardlow can’t win the big one and it’s time for Cole to work again, the heels can turn on the big loser and maybe his old scumbag boss can save face. 

(I’m now realizing Sunday is probably too soon to reveal the 👹 but I enjoy these thoughts so…submit reply.)

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, AxB said:

Is Rampage pre-empted this week? They didn’t announce anything for it, did they?

They did but I don't remember what it was. I think Eddie vs. Rocky Romero? They're dojng a "road to Wrestle Dream" afterwards too.

1 minute ago, JLowe said:

They did but I don't remember what it was. I think Eddie vs. Rocky Romero? They're dojng a "road to Wrestle Dream" afterwards too.

I don't know about the airing schedule changing, but here is the card-

AEW World Trios Title Match

Billy Gunn & The Acclaimed (Anthony Bowens & Max Caster) (c) vs. Isiah Kassidy & The Hardys (Jeff Hardy & Matt Hardy)

NJPW STRONG Openweight Title Match

Eddie Kingston (c) vs. Rocky Romero

Tag Team Match

Caleb Crush & Gunnar vs. The Righteous (Dutch & Vincent)

AEW Women's World Title #1 Contendership Match

Hikaru Shida vs. Ruby Soho

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Just Adam Bay Bay said:

I read this too quickly and thought it said a group of John Hennigans which would be the worst thing ever based on his latest work in QTV.

Dude if they Lucha Undergrounded a segment to where a bunch of Hennigan's previous personas all showed up with the different gear and names it would be classic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Coletti said:

If anybody else said it and I missed it, I apologize but I can't be the only one that thinks Adam Coles injury is being least somewhat worked, right?

I thought the same thing.  When he hurt it, he was limping but still moving around pretty good for a guy whose ankle exploded in three places and had ligament damage.

4 hours ago, w. josh said:

Holy shit, just last week I blurted out ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO RESCUE THE PRESIDENT while my wife and daughter were playing Xbox.

About the show:

Man, I've been critical of MJF's promos in the past, but god damn, that promo on Jay White was excellent.  White was also very good.  

LOOLLLLin' while thinking about @Just Dave going Full Elvis on his TV as Nick Jackson held his own against two beefy boys and then won.

I just now realized the words on Jay White's shirt are supposed to be in the shape of his hand signal.

Can we go 1-2 weeks without someone saying "you come for the king, you best not miss?"

If the ROH tag match is actually a handicap match and MJF wins, that's awful.  In general, handicap matches should be left in the past.  Unless you're trying to get heat for heels or trying to build a giant, these matches just suck.

Christian branching out to uncles now!  You love to see it.  Would have been better like this:

Christian: How's your dad, Darby?

Darby: He's fine.  We're close.  We just hung out last week.

Christian: well how's your...dad's.......brother?

Excalibur and Taz commentating by themselves gave be old time PWG vibes.  I wish someone doing a springboard dive could have been referred to as a "BIG BOY."

Having a 3 way and then a 4 way back to back was certainly a choice.

Per TK "As I understand, there were issues at TBS with a new operating system."  Yeah dude, my phone's been kinda shitty since last week's iOS upgrade, I feel ya.

I was finishing that show here at work on my other monitor and I stopped the episode when the copyright graphic went up, so I totally missed the ninjas!

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I thought the same thing.  When he hurt it, he was limping but still moving around pretty good for a guy whose ankle exploded in three places and had ligament damage.

Holy shit, just last week I blurted out ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO RESCUE THE PRESIDENT while my wife and daughter were playing Xbox.

About the show:

Man, I've been critical of MJF's promos in the past, but god damn, that promo on Jay White was excellent.  White was also very good.  

LOOLLLLin' while thinking about @Just Dave going Full Elvis on his TV as Nick Jackson held his own against two beefy boys and then won.

I just now realized the words on Jay White's shirt are supposed to be in the shape of his hand signal.

Can we go 1-2 weeks without someone saying "you come for the king, you best not miss?"

If the ROH tag match is actually a handicap match and MJF wins, that's awful.  In general, handicap matches should be left in the past.  Unless you're trying to get heat for heels or trying to build a giant, these matches just suck.

Christian branching out to uncles now!  You love to see it.  Would have been better like this:

Christian: How's your dad, Darby?

Darby: He's fine.  We're close.  We just hung out last week.

Christian: well how's your...dad's.......brother?

Excalibur and Taz commentating by themselves gave be old time PWG vibes.  I wish someone doing a springboard dive could have been referred to as a "BIG BOY."

Having a 3 way and then a 4 way back to back was certainly a choice.

Per TK "As I understand, there were issues at TBS with a new operating system."  Yeah dude, my phone's been kinda shitty since last week's iOS upgrade, I feel ya.

I was finishing that show here at work on my other monitor and I stopped the episode when the copyright graphic went up, so I totally missed the ninjas!

Honestly, it was worth it since I popped @curtmcgirt in the Discord with my "Slapleg Jackson" joke. 

I figured he'd win. What's the point of being an EVP if you don't get to go over at will?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Just Adam Bay Bay said:

Okay that I would get behind. I loved Lucha Underground in general, and Johnny Mundo was one of my favorites. 

Ring name(s)
  • John Hennigan[2]
  • John Morrison[2]
  • Johnny Blaze[2]
  • Johnny Caballero[4]
  • Johnny Downunder[5]
  • Johnny Elite
  • Johnny Fusion
  • Johnny Hardy[6]
  • Johnny Impact[7]
  • Johnny Mundo[8]
  • Johnny Nitro[2]