DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 9/13 - 9/19/2023 - Haaalf in the baaaag

Craig H

14 hours ago, LF2 said:

Just a few quick thoughts about Collision:

Ricky Starks has some of the worst ground and pound I’ve ever seen. 

For a guy that has hype he’d jump to WWE, Ricky Starks also has the crappiest looking spear I’ve ever seen. That one he “hit” on Danielson was business exposing bad. I can’t believe Just Drew actually defends this bum that needs to go back to wrestling school.

You're right. Starks doesn't slap his leg enough. He should do that. And yell his name every chance he gets. And Starks' strikes aren't great, but they're miles ahead of Adam Cole's. Now that I think about it, there's nothing Cole does that isn't business exposing, so I'm not sure you've got a leg to stand on there, Little Friend. Good to hear from you.

2 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Every promotion should have its own thread on here titled “Wrestlers I Think Should Be in the Magneto Prison from X-Men” or something so we can move on. 

Wait, can The Bucks manipulate metal? That would move them up a notch in my book...

Not previously familiar with the Righteous but I'm into Dutch's Big Bubba act.  

I also liked Aussie Open bragging that their squash was squashier than FTR's squash.

This was the most Dynamite-ish Collision we've had so far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, just drew said:

You're right. Starks doesn't slap his leg enough. He should do that. And yell his name every chance he gets. And Starks' strikes aren't great, but they're miles ahead of Adam Cole's. Now that I think about it, there's nothing Cole does that isn't business exposing, so I'm not sure you've got a leg to stand on there, Little Friend. Good to hear from you.

So his posing like the worst Michael Jackson impersonator ever during his entrance to no reaction somehow equals an entire crowd chanting Adam Cole Bay Bay? I’m glad you’re showing how delusional you are once again.

Since when does Adam Cole do ground and pound or attempt a spear too? I’d love to see what you come up with for that one.

And sure enlighten us about how a guy that’s headlined more episodes of televised wrestling, and ppvs in his career than Ricky Starks ever will has exposed the business. Making you fixate on him doesn’t count either. Hell I’d wager Adam Cole has generated more money this year off of his merch than Starks has in his entire career too. But yeah nobody likes Adam Cole right? 

Why don’t you get back to me when Bryan Danielson is done trying to make Starks look capable in the ring, and propping him up. Since your favorite argument is Cole gets propped up by others. What the fuck do you think Punk and now Danielson are doing? Clearly propping up dead weight that’s not a main event talent.

Edited by LF2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, LF2 said:

For a guy that has hype he’d jump to WWE, Ricky Starks also has the crappiest looking spear I’ve ever seen. That one he “hit” on Danielson was business exposing bad. I can’t believe Just Drew actually defends this bum that needs to go back to wrestling school.

I don't want to jump into the debate and pick a side here, but I do think it's worth mentioning Danielson always takes Spears weird. He did against Reigns all the time too. Instead of putting his arms up in the air and opening up his midsection for solid contact, he brings his arms in like he's trying to absorb a top rope splash. Always ends with a meh looking Spear. Not as much contact or sound because of the arms taking most of the impact.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I don't want to jump into the debate and pick a side here, but I do think it's worth mentioning Danielson always takes Spears weird. He did against Reigns all the time too. Instead of putting his arms up in the air and opening up his midsection for solid contact, he brings his arms in like he's trying to absorb a top rope splash. Always ends with a meh looking Spear. Not as much contact or sound because of the arms taking most of the impact.

You’re not picking sides. You’re giving me a good reference point, and something I should look up on Peacock later. I remember really liking his final WWE match with Reigns, and now that you mentioned his weird style of taking spears I’ll notice that too. 

So thank you for educating me, and also reminding me to watch something I enjoy. 

• Like 2

I think Britt is really good at working at a good pace in her match. 

It's just that there's very little that she's doing at that pace and every match these days feels like she's killing time till she gets the signal to go home.

Orton works a slow, methodical pace but he and the commentators alike manage to sell it as deliberate and strategic, his matches are planned out to emphasise what he's doing and why he's doing it so slowly. And yes a lot of times that falls flat amongst all the Garvin stomps and chin locks, but people lose their shit for the RKO, him slapping the mat, his snap powerslam and the rope DDT. Everything else is a chore. Britt doesn't have anything in her arsenal that pops the crowd to that degree other than pulling the glove out. It's just aimless stomps and kicks in the corner without an end goal.

I'd almost favour her spamming the superkick again like her BF if for something else that has some impact to it. 

She needs a couple of signature mid match moves that convincingly get a nearfall and a crowd reaction. Her partner has about a dozen he could spare.

I'd need to rewatch it again but it looked like she was calling it in the ring and had some terrible ideas (there was a resthold that looked like she wanted Stat to hold onto a bit longer and the crowd just never gave them the reaction they wanted). Hated the finish that Britt completely no sold, you immediately cut to a close up of her after Stat steals one, and she's...apathetic.

Other than that, I really enjoy her hardcore matches. I sound way too critical of her otherwise. Guess you live long enough to become the paintbynumbers eventually.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, LF2 said:

So his posing like the worst Michael Jackson impersonator ever during his entrance to no reaction somehow equals an entire crowd chanting Adam Cole Bay Bay? I’m glad you’re showing how delusional you are once again.

Since when does Adam Cole do ground and pound or attempt a spear too? I’d love to see what you come up with for that one.

And sure enlighten us about how a guy that’s headlined more episodes of televised wrestling, and ppvs in his career than Ricky Starks ever will has exposed the business. Making you fixate on him doesn’t count either. Hell I’d wager Adam Cole has generated more money this year off of his merch than Starks has in his entire career too. But yeah nobody likes Adam Cole right? 

Why don’t you get back to me when Bryan Danielson is done trying to make Starks look capable in the ring, and propping him up. Since your favorite argument is Cole gets propped up by others. What the fuck do you think Punk and now Danielson are doing? Clearly propping up dead weight that’s not a main event talent.

Could it be, and I’m just spitballing here, that maybe Punk & Danielson see Starks as a future main eventer and want to work with him? In Punk’s case, I’d go so far as to accuse him of “heat leeching” a la John Cena did with Zack Ryder & Enzo & Cass. It’s a tale as old as time, my Little Friend; grizzled veteran, worried that the sun is setting on his relevance, or insecure that another hot young talent is inching in on their merch sales, befriends them/works them onscreen to enforce in the mind of the viewer that they themselves are still on the level. What you should be asking yourself is, with the exception of Chris Jericho (and we all saw how that turned out), why haven’t any of these same grizzled vets attempted to leech off of adam Cole? Why is he on dynamite, stuck as the fifth most interesting personality in an angle that includes Roderick Strong & Mike Bennett? If anyone is being propped up, it’s Cole, clinging desperately to his corner of the screen while MJF does the most compelling work of his career. 

We could probably spend all day debating whether or not adam Cole ever actually drew in nXt, seeing as how HHH himself has always asserted that nXt loses money. I’ve always believed that the counter-culture “NXt is WRESTLING” movement sold the tickets, rather than any individual talent. But ask yourself this: if Cole were such a draw/big star, why, during wwe’s most creatively bankrupt era ever, was he never considered for a main roster run? Think of all the nXt call ups from 2017 to when Cole left. Someone in wwe thought more of Dana Brooke’s potential to help the main roster than they did Adam Cole’s. 

I’ve already written more than I planned, but I found your argument so full of holes I couldn’t help myself. Mondays are my slow day, so you’re in luck, Little Friend. If you honestly think Ricky Starks is getting no response, I’d suggest a new tv. Black Friday is right around the corner. I’d also suggest paying attention to Cole’s reactions when the song stops and when MJF isn’t on screen. I think it’s pretty telling.

Ive never once said no one likes Adam Cole. I’ve repeatedly said that I find his popularity mystifying, given his “middle schooler talking tough on Xbox live” promo and complete lack of psychology in-ring. It’s worth mentioning that Jason Aldean sells more records than Tyler Childers, but anyone with ears and any manner of education on the subject matter knows who the better musician is. 

While you’re on Peacock, go back and watch that UE/Imperium 8 man tag. Really watch & tell me Cole’s dogshit strikes don’t stick out like a sore thumb. I don’t say this shit to get a reaction from you. I say it because it’s true. 

Both looking forward to Bryan Danielson vs. Ricky Starks in a Texas Death Match this week while anxious with Bryan Danielson getting hurt this year with the dream match vs. Zack Sabre Jr at WrestleDream to come.

Man, can Eddie Kingston talk.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Both looking forward to Bryan Danielson vs. Ricky Starks in a Texas Death Match this week while anxious with Bryan Danielson getting hurt this year with the dream match vs. Zack Sabre Jr at WrestleDream to come.

Man, can Eddie Kingston talk.

He’s fucking fantastic.

• Like 2

I didn't think Britt looked bad in the Collision main event, but maybe that was just Stat doing the heavy lifting. The finishing stretch was very good and a lot of us seemed to think that Britt was going to go over, as did the crowd. The main difference is that everyone here is glad she didn't.

Now, let's talk house style, because it was GLARING on this episode. I think every non-squash match had at least one Fighting Spirit forearm exchange section. That's a BCC signature so of course they would have it, and it worked in the context of two big strong dudes like Claudio and Bill. On the other hand, maybe there are other ways of showing the DMD has fighting spirit and is not afraid to stand toe to toe with Stat.

Bowens-Silver was fine, was there more to advance the angle. Seems a little like Bowens has been in the tag/trios loop for so long that his singles repertoire has suffered. I think this match also had a forearm strike exchange, which OK they are two beefy dudes but maybe slaps or kicks or something?

Starks pin Danielson (not clean but it's an angle), still want to talk about him being buried? Fun match, really wanted to see Claudio get Bill in the Giant Swing.

I really hate the Iron Savages gimmick, but happy to see them in a semi-competitive squash against FTR. And then Workhorsemen come in and challenge! DEAN is smiling down from above at that.

Aussie Open with the kind of squash where you don't even get to hear the enhancement talent names. FTR-Aussie Open will be great.

That Kingston promo was everything. The Toni Storm segment was also incredible in a totally different way.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JLowe said:

Fighting Spirit forearm exchange section

You should see the last Botchamania with an all-All In "Ross Time" section. Someone started the exchange and he flat out said "I never understand this" and complained about it with Ex feebly replying "it's to prove who's stronger" or something similar. All his gripes stored up in one section for that show is hilarious, btw. 

I had the Aussie Open theme chant in my head when I woke up. Not sure if that's good or bad. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Now, let's talk house style, because it was GLARING on this episode. I think every non-squash match had at least one Fighting Spirit forearm exchange section. That's a BCC signature so of course they would have it, and it worked in the context of two big strong dudes like Claudio and Bill. On the other hand, maybe there are other ways of showing the DMD has fighting spirit and is not afraid to stand toe to toe with Stat.

The fighting spirit exchanges are my least favourite part of modern wrestling. I can’t remember which NJPW Strong ep it was but every match from the rookies to the main had the exact same spot and it meant nothing in any of them

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

The fighting spirit exchanges are my least favourite part of modern wrestling. I can’t remember which NJPW Strong ep it was but every match from the rookies to the main had the exact same spot and it meant nothing in any of them

I used to hate them (but eventually got on board) and I still have to agree they're a bit overused at this juncture across the board - it's not as egregious as say, a card full of Canadian Destroyers in every match or something, but I always felt those exchanges work most when they're used as a character beat for someone with a previously noted Japanese influence, like an Omega, or Eddie Kingston, or the BCC guys. It's like a few years back when the Owens/Zayn 'hockey punches' thing started spawning lots of shitty cover versions

• Like 3

In much the same way as the “series of reversals leads to Mutual Respect face-off” got overplayed (and was sometimes subverted), the Fighting Spirit Forearm Exchange is now a trope ripe for subversion. Heels, set one up and then dodge or avoid the return fire. Poke em in the eye or something. Duck the forearm and Backslide them, put yr feet on the ropes and pin em. Don’t just take the hit. That’s what someone who played fair would do.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hamhock said:

Has anyone done a Fighting Spirit Eye Poke Exchange?

Not quite the same thing, but when Johnny's faction in Lucha Underground won their trios titles, they did it with a super fast-paced triple team sequence that involved mostly low blows. It's similar in spirit to a heel subversion of a modern-style trope.

• Like 1