DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 9/13 - 9/19/2023 - Haaalf in the baaaag

Craig H

It's finally time! It's finally here! You probably thought I was talking about NWA, but nope, I'm talking about AEW Dynamite motherfuckers! Tony Khan brings us another week of wrestling. Yes - punching, monsters, bad acting, overacting, explosions of color, a plot that gets dropped. But who cares?! You fill your face with wrestling you dumb fat cows. Eat the slop before the slaughter you fucking pigs!

There's like wrestling and stuff tonight, but much like Orange Cassidy, I'm too lazy to look up what's happening. However, I did feel like ripping off Red Letter Media's Batman v Superman intro for that first paragraph just to amuse myself.

ENJOY THE WRESTLING AND MAY AEW RULE THE FUCKING WORLD!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Hope the mods don't mind starting the weekly thread.

MJF doing the Big Poppa Pump math promo on Samoa Joe? 

I said it in the main AEW thread, but right before I started laughing, I had the Booker T look.. you know "Tell me you didn't just say that."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9SZ3oQoae4

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 1

- Bill/Mox was solid as a rock. Of course Mox was gonna juice because it's Cinci, and he made sure to do it right on camera too. Then Bill USES HIS BLOOD AS LIPSTICK, kisses at the crowd and does some mincing. Sir, I salute you. (This was all in the picture-in-picture so sometimes it pays to keep watching.) The Bossman Slam didn't look great because Mox took it on his tailbone but everything else was fine. I guess because there is no shoe thrown tonight, Ricky batters Mox with his, yes! After the match they cut to Renee; of course she is wearing a dress with the leather, but she should have gone with a kilt or plaid to punk out the look more. 

- Speaking of fashion it has been decided that Lard Lad needs a full black leather duster to wear shirtless. He also needs a big-ass hat like Vampire Hunter D. Callis brings up Seiji Sakaguchi as an ace which I argue he was always a #2 but geohellraiser on the Discord argues he was perhaps 1b and that Inoki was actually bigger than the company, which I can support. 

- Nyla did not get pinned. There's that.

- Instead of the Jericho Show or MJF/Cole I decided to enjoy the 35th anniversary of Ice-T's Power. Congrats! 

- Cage/Page we've seen before twice and I bet this one was the same as those two. Page won with his secondary finisher which was nice for a change. Nana not being able to get down to Cage's music but immediately getting busy to Swerve's theme as hard as possible was absolutely hilarious. 

- I need to know how many wrestlers are now wearing white pants in this fed.

- Joe/Strong was good with Joe shutting down almost all attempts at Strong being... well, strong. Especially liked him getting lariated right out of the air. The result could have been seen through an opaque fog but next Wednesday is gonna be awesome. 

• Like 6

Fun opener, the first time Moxley has bled in weeks! Liked the random little Orange/Hook segment, that was amusing.

Popped for MJF busting out the full on Steiner Math on Joe, that was fantastic. 

Hangman/Cage ruled. Nice finish from Darby and Nick Wayne. 

Great main event, dig coming back around to Joe being the guy that put Strong in the neck brace to begin with and loved the post-match angle. Roderick's dramatic overselling as soon as he saw Adam coming was hysterical. "ADAM I can't see you!!" as he's been loaded onto the stretcher, Bennett & Taven blocking Cole from following the stretcher, all classic. 

Kinda surprised Jade's rematch is just being thrown on Rampage, but next week looks pretty nicely stacked for Grand Slam. 

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

Kinda surprised Jade's rematch is just being thrown on Rampage, but next week looks pretty nicely stacked for Grand Slam. 

Apparently the word going around tonight is that Jade is finishing up with AEW and heading to WWE?!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I feel bad that I'm too stoned to post more.  this was a really good show and everyone worked hard.  they deserve better than this shitty post.   I liked all of the matches.  I'm gonna drink a beer and smoke some more pot.  AEW Rules the motherfucker world.  RIP Dean.  Bye for now.

Edited by ExcellenceofAirPollution
I SAID AWE INSTEAD OF AEW
  • Like 5

The bookends on this show were fantastic. Mox-Bill was so good, fun to see Mox battle from beneath. Bill is currently doing a mash-up of Big Sexy and Psycho Sid and I AM HERE FOR IT. I know he's not big enough for it and more Rock influenced, but having Big Bill and Starks doing a variation of Nash-Hall could work for a bit. Psyched for the tag as well.

And then Joe just beating the fucking shit out of Strong, obliterating every hope spot, just scary dick nasty heel stuff. Strong bumped like a maniac, no comedy sells here. If I didn't have so much to do around my house here I would seriously consider buying a train ticket to NY to see Grand Slam.

The rest was hit and miss. I didn't mind the MJF segment, still a little weird to see him being a face (while still being a prick) as it was a good build to the main event and preview of Grand Slam. The BCC backstage was excellent except I just find the Rey Fenix revenge angle comical. I love the guy but... Kingston-Claudio staredown was killer and I almost wish they hadn't said anything. Claudio did a great job of showing some very subtle fear/doubt in his eyes. Hook-OC was weird, I love OC so much. Ruby makes Saraya better. Really interested to see where they will go with Garcia's character.

Jericho-Guevara was not what I expected but it actually worked for me. Some quality (improv) riffing, came across very genuine.

The Callis Takeshita segment caught me up on all I missed from the PPVs. Of course, like most people, Callis is unaware that the whole "alpha male" study was retracted by the original researcher as completely flawed as it was based on one pack in captivity and does not reflect actual wild wolf behavior, much less does it have any actual bearing to how primates with the ability to reason operate. Anyway, hopefully Ibushi looks better than he did at Forbidden Door.

Darby/Wayne - 2.0 was a very bog standard US tag match. Wayne needs a better finisher.

There were three good things about the women's match: Toni Storm's character, her and Nyla's interactions, and Britt eating the pin. Wrestling itself was pretty bad. They really need Hayter back. They really need to elevate Willow and bring in Athena.

Was worried that they were setting up for Jade to get her title back, but I guess she's going to do the time-honored tradition.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

feel bad that I'm too stoned to post more. 

It's funny, I'm the total opposite in that if I'm over here stoned, I will *not* STFU. I will talk and talk as though the very fate of the universe depends on whether or not FTR can get past the Gunns or whatever.

I thought this was a super strong show. Even though it probably isn't time to take it off MJF yet, I'm so conflicted because Joe was way too awesome here, yet again.

They're going with Kingston/Claudio at Grand Slam!!!! I'm so psyched for this one. I'm glad if seems to be on Dynamite as well - I thought they were gonna be cheeky and run that on Rampage so no one heads out early again this year

Re: Jade - I'm kinda oddly fine with her leaving. Is it good for AEW? Probably not. Will it be good for Jade? 100%. As much as I enjoy her character, her skill set is probably (as things stand now) much better suited for WWE. This isn't a criticism of AEW, but I think WWE's style lends itself better to someone like Jade who possesses all the charisma and physical presence in the world, but is still putting it together bell to bell. Meaning, I think she would probably be passable in a Nia Jax type role without even needing any additional PC seasoning.

• Like 4

Starks/Bill is a combo that is not really all that obvious, but damn does it work. I hope they keep them together for a while.

Pretty cool that Samoa Joe will be headlining Grand Slam. I think if he didn't have that time in TNA with the face dick and all, he might get more talk as an all-time great. Really, he should despite that time. He's been consistently great for pretty much a 20-year stretch.

• Like 4

Starks and Bill should add a third member of their group. And for the purpose of maximum befuddlement, the third member should be Billie Starkz.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 10

Didn't TNA screw Joe by not letting him get over Angle? I remember my dumb-ass boss at the time even mentioning TNA being some kind of up and comer/threat to WWE because of that rivalry being hot at the time. 

If Jade is going I want Athena to go after the TBS belt as a belt-collector and wanting to steal it over to a show that doesn't have a network. "Brand synchronicity"~! (Also, in respect to my comments above, it really would be good for Jade to go because she is a born sports entertainer and they would work to her strengths, not because I don't like her)

• Like 4

I laughed so fucking hard at "ADAM! ADAM! ADAM! I CAN'T SEE YOU! ADAM!" I was dying. Like, it's not good acting or anything, but it's good enough for wrestling and it's also silly enough where it sounds like something out of Step Brothers. I always thought Roddy sounded like Stevie from Eastbound and Down and now he's leaning into being such an over important doofus that I can't help but love the act. This is the best character Roddy has ever had.

Moxley made Big Bill look like a fucking killer. Moxley is such an unassuming giant of a person and his physical build is kinda awkward, so when he steps in there with a guy that's bigger and taller than him, that other guy looks really big. I'm not thrilled with so many titles having an "open challenge" story to them, but I don't mind it with the International Title. And for next week, Fenix, please don't die.

I love Orange Cassidy so much. "Renee...I'm just so tired." I feel ya buddy. I feel ya. That line also killed me. OC is probably my favorite active wrestler right now, which is nuts because you can look back on here to when AEW was getting formed where I didn't want OC to be in AEW.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Dynamite was really cool! From bleeding Mox to plenty of angles advaced throughout the show to Toni Storm being awesome once again to OC being tired to Christian Cage being a F'n dick to Nana getting superkicked after a badass match between Page and Cage to the main event that I really thought could go either way.

There was a chance that Joe would have been saved for a PPV, in my mind. As it was, Roddy was once again doing super job at being a horrible,  manipulative piece of shit! Joe attacking Adam afterwards made perfect sense, but I actually didn't see it coming. But yeah, taking everything away from MJF includes that, too!

Grand Slam looks stacked. Also, I probably need to get that damn Wrestledream PPV as well! It seemed to be a bit cheaper than normal on FITE, so yeah whatever.

• Like 3

Thoughts on the show:

-Pay Ricky Starks. He’s the most entertaining man in wrestling at the moment, and it isn’t particularly close. (Nobody tell my Little Friend I said that.) He and Big Bill are so ridiculous together. Him beating Mox with a shoe was absolutely priceless. That was like 80% of the wrestlers I’m into atm in one segment. All it needed was Christian, HOB and Yuta. So like half. 

Menard, Parker & Hager should stay together as a unit & goon for someone. Two French Canadians & a wwe main roster alum? Mayhaps we have our new Edge-tourage. Wait, shit, Cope-iums. Idk. But they’re too good at being idiots to keep off tv. Garcia should go with Callis. Ospreay, Takeshita and Garcia is a good little group. 

MJF doing Steiner math was fantastic. Hilarious. 

I don’t remember a lot else. I was worn out. I do remember cackling like Riddler watching Two Face robbing the Circus in  Batman Forever when Samoa Joe choked out Adam Cole. 

• Like 3