DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPTEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

On 9/4/2023 at 7:29 PM, Belgian_Waffle said:

I would be totally down with Athena amassing belts. And on that note (and I presume this has been discussed before but I'm catching up) do we think the inspiration for the MJF/Cole long term saga with lots of detours and side players is to attempt something akin to the Bloodline/Zayne & Owens type epic sprawl? Because if so you could start setting up a BTYBB vs FTR rematch with BTYBB getting the belts this time. I know everyone expects/wants Bullet Club to beat FTR but Max & Cole vs White & Juice is a fresh matchup and would be entertaining as hell (and this coming from someone who hates Juice). But in any event you wouldn't run MJF/Cole vs FTR again on Grand Slam if you're already doing MJF vs Joe. 

Pass.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Crazy stat: Cagematch isn't perfect but it's pretty good for 2010s-2020s stuff certainly.

• Billie Starkz has 417 matches on Cagematch
  • Britt Baker has 259
  • Jamie Hayter has 255
  • Willow Nightengale has 408

I don’t have honor club but I really wish Billie and Athena were on my tv every week. 

• Like 5

TK might be really trying hard to sell Honor Club but ROH needs to be squeezed back onto TV somehow. Hell, I'd take 3 AM on TNT to break up the nightly Charmed marathon. And this is also important: it needs to be an hour. Like, Rampage is the crappy hour, have ROH be the straight wrestling back to back hour like Collision turned into, only with their (saying this sucks, but) lower caste performers. Having it be a version of Dark/Elevation is fine but the length of the shows right now is ridiculous, the crowds are burnt, and honestly I really miss Sinclair's random showings. 

• Like 4

If the live ppvs were included I would pretty much sign up. It’s $120 if you just want the live ppvs and $120 if you want all the rest. I’d pay $120 for the total package, but $240 is a bit much. Hopefully this all gets rolled into max at some point anyway. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

TK might be really trying hard to sell Honor Club but ROH needs to be squeezed back onto TV somehow. Hell, I'd take 3 AM on TNT to break up the nightly Charmed marathon. And this is also important: it needs to be an hour. Like, Rampage is the crappy hour, have ROH be the straight wrestling back to back hour like Collision turned into, only with their (saying this sucks, but) lower caste performers. Having it be a version of Dark/Elevation is fine but the length of the shows right now is ridiculous, the crowds are burnt, and honestly I really miss Sinclair's random showings. 

Agreed on all counts. Plus, with taping ROH at Collision, they're not even paying rental fees for Universal anymore - it can't cost a ton to produce in terms of overhead. I find it kinda interesting that WBD wouldn't even consider like, a Thursday 3 PM on TruTV timeslot ala TNA on FSN - would it really do a worse number than whatever Impractical Jokers rerun is airing? (or Charmed on TNT per your example, if they went overnights instead of afternoons). I also get the idea of them not wanting to push any non-AEW product which is why I've said from jump it would probably have had a better shot at getting TV if it were 'AEW Ring of Honor' in the way it was 'WWE ECW' on Syfy in '06-'07.

Edit: I mention these weird/bad timeslots because it's been discussed to death that TNT is apparently content with the +3 and +7 DVR numbers for the three main shows. So the 'live' aspect is maybe not as important here as it ordinarily would be.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, matt925 said:

If the live ppvs were included I would pretty much sign up. It’s $120 if you just want the live ppvs and $120 if you want all the rest. I’d pay $120 for the total package, but $240 is a bit much. Hopefully this all gets rolled into max at some point anyway. 

When I first signed up to Honor Club, I thought that the PPVs were included.  My decision to cancel it was about 85% driven by the fact that they weren't, the other 15% being that "where does one find the time".

10 hours ago, Matt D said:

Crazy stat: Cagematch isn't perfect but it's pretty good for 2010s-2020s stuff certainly.

• Billie Starkz has 417 matches on Cagematch
  • Britt Baker has 259
  • Jamie Hayter has 255
  • Willow Nightengale has 408

I'm most amazed that Willow is that high

on another note Dustin looking happy and healthy 

May be an image of 1 person and dancing

• Like 3

Willow was an in demand Indie wrestler for a good few years before ever being seen on AEW. And being a regular for Beyond (who are a rare indie that runs midweek) means that you can wrestle 4 nights a week.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2023 at 11:27 AM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I find it kinda interesting that WBD wouldn't even consider like, a Thursday 3 PM on TruTV timeslot ala TNA on FSN - would it really do a worse number than whatever Impractical Jokers rerun is airing? (or Charmed on TNT per your example, if they went overnights instead of afternoons).

One of the Jokers said on a podcast they are classified as a reality show. Which means the network pays out zero royalties to them to re-air the episodes. Meaning it is DIRT CHEAP to air the old episodes, and any ad revenue made is straight profit for the network. So even if an ROH show pulled in 5x the ratings of a Jokers rerun, WBD would be paying for the ROH content. Thus losing money compared to airing the program that gets them the lower ratings. Welcome to TV network math, it's stupid lol.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

One of the Jokers said on a podcast they are classified as a reality show. Which means the network pays out zero royalties to them to re-air the episodes. Meaning it is DIRT CHEAP to air the old episodes, and any ad revenue made is straight profit for the network. So even if an ROH show pulled in 5x the ratings of a Jokers rerun, WBD would be paying for the ROH content. Thus losing money compared to airing the program that gets them the lower ratings. Welcome to TV network math, it's stupid lol.

Advertisers also won't pay as much for non-prime space, hence why your daytime TV ads are vastly different to your prime time TV ads. Those daytime ad buyers aren't nearly as profitable as the prime time ad buyers because as seen on TV junk isn't Coca-Cola.

So throwing some numbers out in the air, if it costs $250k to produce a show (not saying that's how much it costs to produce ROH, but work with me here), and your ad buys for Thursday at 3pm are maxing out at $100k because the ad buyers just don't buy at that timeframe so saying "well we can get 100k viewers during this time frame" will get ad buyers saying "I don't believe you, here's my offer, take it or leave it". You can run a match through a PnP break or not, a buyer just isn't buying at that timeslot. It doesn't matter how many eyes are watching live OR on DVR unless it's an over-the-air show like your network soap operas or a daytime talk show like Kelly Clarkson or Drew Barrymore because that's all the TV industry thinks people watch during daytime anyway.

(And let's be real... they're not wrong.)

The number of eyes doesn't matter if you're going to take a theoretical weekly $150k loss just to put the show on the air, because if the ad buyers aren't buying the time, you might as well not run the show.

Oh, and I'm sure someone will say "TK could offer to run the show for free as a trial to get ad buyers interested", but you'd be expecting ad buyers to break from decades of formula and that won't happen, not to mention that you probably shouldn't offer a show for free unless you have the expectation that it will stay free. The best he could hope for is an in-kind trade where he offers to take the timeslot in exchange for finding his own ad buyers, but most networks aren't going to go for that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When Heyman was in LA making Rollerball and supposedly trying to save ECW, the rumor was that he was pitching a syndicated series like Judge Judy or TMZ that would air daily in the afternoons. I mean, he was already secretly working for Vince, so who knows how far he even tried to get with it, but I’ve always been fascinated with the notion of that kind of format for a wrestling show.