DVDVR Message Board

CHICA(EW)GO TV - 8/30 - 9/5/2023

Dolfan in NYC

I don't get it.  So,  I didn't care for most of the ALL IN build and I was vocal on here about that.  I thought the build was lackluster.  BUT the card wasn't bad on paper and more than delivered on PPV. It was a very good and enjoyable show regardless.  

However,  a couple posters mentioned to me that because ALL OUT was a week later they were likely "saving" things for that.  I'm looking at this ALL OUT card and aside from Omega vs. Takeshita I don't see what else was saved.  

Does any of the backstage drama play into this?  No idea.  But this ALL OUT card is looking really rough.  I'm not saying it can't be a good show but it doesn't look worth $50. 

• Like 1

If King/Shibata v Claudio/Yuter does nothing for you, I don't know what to say. 

Anywho, Eddie/Yuter was good (of course). I missed the beginning and ignored... most of the rest. I had no interest in an enormous Kingdom/Adam Page segment, an enormous Jericho/Sammy segment, an enormous Acclaimed segment. The women's match was alright. The press slam spot in the main was nasty. But I mean, this was angle after angle here. 

Called Toni with the rollers! Very, very proud of that. Oh, and it was funny that Toni said "tits up" and Renee immediately looks down at her own tits 😄

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

So, before I say this, let me lay out my criteria for what I believe makes a great promo-

Whenever I watch a promo segment, I ask myself 3 questions: 

1. “Is the person cutting this promo Ricky Starks?” If the answer is yes, then the promo is good and there’s no reason to deliberate further. If the answer is no, here are two further questions:

2. “Do I believe what this person is saying?”

and 

3. “Do I believe this person believes what they’re saying?”

By that standard, adam Cole was the 3rd best promo in that interminably long segment. Bennett and Taven came off as credible, and Bennett’s delivery was actually pretty strong. Cole came off like he always does; a pubescent trying to sound tough while talking shit on Xbox live. I don’t believe he’s a top guy, and I don’t believe that deep down he believes he’s a top guy. I’ll be curious to see the number he does without MJF to prop him up. 

The rest of the show… happened. Mox is the fucking best. All the drama with other top guys in the company and he just continues to have top tier tv matches. He’s the best overall performer on American wrestling tv right now, and I’m not sure it’s particularly close.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

If King/Shibata v Claudio/Yuter does nothing for you, I don't know what to say. 

It does a lot for me, but what it doesn’t do is convince people to spend $50 on the show. It’s a detour match on the road to Eddie/Claudio at Grand Slam for the ROH title. It’s something that is better placed on Dynamite, or actually, it feels like a Rampage match honestly.

Like yeah, I’m sure DVDVR will love Joe/Taylor because it’s big meaty men slapping meat or whatever but, holy shit. Shane Taylor gets a PPV singles match? WHY? Hangman is wrestling on fuckin’ Rampage (against Bryan Keith tbf, which is dope, but still).

I’ll probably buy All Out for $20 with a VPN on Fite, or maybe watch it later on a shady Chinese site, but holy shit, the balls to ask $50 for this. I know their shows generally always deliver and are usually thrown together last minute, but this is another level.

Wiki: 

Steamboat's last match was teaming with his son Richie, as they defeated Trent Barretta and Caylen Croft at Florida Championship Wrestling's Father's Day Salute on June 18, 2010.[83]

On June 28, 2010, he returned to Raw to promote his new DVD only to be attacked and injured by The Nexus. On WWE's website the following day, it was announced that in storyline, Steamboat suffered injuries from the attack. However, on July 1, WWE's website announced that the prior night, Steamboat felt legitimate pain in his neck and shoulders and as a result, was now legitimately hospitalized. This caused WWE to take down any storyline information related to that attack.

I dunno. I can see Steamer actually doing it. He shouldn't, but man that last run was killer. Remember the Jericho match?!

Eh, I don't really care if they make money or not, they're not getting mine either. There's plenty of other people that have full and open bank accounts for 'em. 

Might I add that the Orange promo was perfect and I look forward to him running straight into the meat grinder of Moxley. So there's that match, that tag match, Takeshita vs. Omega, Joe vs. Shane Taylor? What am I missing, Token Women's Match? That is a pretty good card so far IMO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Eh, I don't really care if they make money or not, they're not getting mine either. There's plenty of other people that have full and open bank accounts for 'em. 

Might I add that the Orange promo was perfect and I look forward to him running straight into the meat grinder of Moxley. So there's that match, that tag match, Takeshita vs. Omega, Joe vs. Shane Taylor? What am I missing, Token Women's Match? That is a pretty good card so far IMO.

Statlander vs Soho was the women's matchup.

• Like 1