DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 7/19 - 7/24/2023

Dolfan in NYC

I actually do think, even as a not-so-much-a-fan-of-the-Bucks, that the Bucks would blow WWE audiences away. I know a good portion of WWE fans know them, but I think the first time the Buck did that thing where one of them hits the one guy with the move then backflips through the ropes onto the apron and flips onto the guy at ringside (or any of their other big moves) that the WWE Universe (yeah I went there!) would be BLOWN AWAY. Kinda like my favourite moment when they brough Tajiri in as Regal's bodyguard whatever and his first match he just busted out his standard ECW offence and the crowd was FLABBERGASTED.

I'm not sure how long or sustained their push would be: I could see someone(...cough Vince) get their dander up about guys who are so small going over strong andI could also see some guys getting annoyed with them. But I could also see them puting their ego aside for the last big payday of their lives, doing a few years and a few tag reigns in WWE before a Reunion Tour in AEW or settling down and doing something in California.

Roman Reigns hiring "the best tag team in the world" to take out "the best tag team in the world" would be pretty interesting to say the least. As would Cody and the Bucks vs. the Bloodline

• Like 5

“Double Clothesline my asshole” - Cash Wheeler

It was novel to see those two young guys having to go out there opening the show.  There is no higher in the pecking order veteran to lead them by the hand.  They can’t hide in a short match.  They did great.  

I can only assume that the one time use of The Final Countdown was so expensive that several entrances now have royalty free classical themes.  Penny wise, dollar foolish.

Man this Cole/MJF team seems to have some legs.  The FTR match as a follow up to two of the best tag matches of this year and yet it is still growing in scope is impressive booking and work.  When you reach such a high as the BCG matches did.  Historically, follow ups that either match or increase in value are kinda rare.  I’m ready.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, caley said:

I don't dislike the MJF and Cole stuff (Though I do not like it NEARLY as much as some of you...) but I do feel it's kind of a waste of your World Champion. I guess if you're AEW, you're going to have to weigh whether ticking the crowd off in the short term by having MJF turn on Cole, or making Cole the biggest heel in the company by having him turn on MJF just after he'd won him over is the better choice. Because if you keep them together (Which is CLEARLY what the crowd wants), you're kind of stuck with a goofy dance-off world champion because you can't really get the belt off him and keep MJF as Cole's goofy buddy.

Sometimes you just gotta go where the money is and write the stories from there. It would be pretty easy to book an MJF/Cole rematch with a bunch of "who's gonna cheat first" tension, but then end up settling it clean with a hug afterwards. Then they watch each other's back while going on to their own thing. Obviously the money program with MJF as a face is against Punk. There's good potential with face vs. face MJF/Kenny if they really want to solidify MJF as the guy. As for who would take the belt way down the line, there's a couple decent possibilities. Will Ospreay if he signs is a no-brainer. Jay White can easily be built up to that level. There's also Wardlow as a heel as MJF's old demons come back to haunt him.

The main thing is TK has a super over guy in his 20s who can work at a high level and appeals to every segment of the audience. That's every promoter's dream. There isn't a single story arc in the world you don't sacrifice to find that guy.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

The main thing is TK has a super over guy in his 20s who can work at a high level and appeals to every segment of the audience. That's every promoter's dream. There isn't a single story arc in the world you don't sacrifice to find that guy.

My first thought last night was that MJF last pulled the "funny ha ha" card when he was threatening to leave, and turned his blowoff with Wardlow into a comedy match

He could also be one foot out the door at this point - dropping the belt to Cole might be his final act

2024 is fast approaching

I want to be clear on where I stand on MJF/Cole:

I like the story in the general.  MJF looked up to Cole, wanted to see the real Adam Cole show up, earned his respect, now they're bros.  It works.  I like the pairing and it's over.  It's been the best use of Cole so far in AEW.  I also agree with everyone that there's a lot more mileage here and they should squeeze it for all it's worth, definitely too early for MJF to show his true colors.  Tony's been pretty good about listening to crowds with stuff like this

My problem is it already veering way too far into goofy sports entertainment with your relatively new World Champ in a promotion where the comedy is mostly kept to the midcard (which I'm totally fine with btw, I love Best Friends, etc. etc.).  Some people can't even tolerate that much comedy, I prefer the ECW style variety show because I enjoy all types of wrestling when done well.  I remember Omega's run where there was some comedy with Callis and Brandon/Nakazawa and some people hated that, but to me it was always presented as Omega the serious champion surrounded by a traveling circus and Omega's actual comedy was tongue in cheek (and underrated IMO)

Now that I think of it it's more of a World Champion perception thing, and my problem with it actually started during the MJF/Cole vs. Daddy Magic/Butcher tag where MJF spent the entire match playing FiP against two lower midcarders.  Two guys I like, but total geeks in the parlance of our times.  The World Champ should be beating those two 1 on 2 not getting beat on through a fucking commercial break

And hell, I know the song and dance man has always been part of MJF's routine, but there's a real fine line with wrestling comedy.  Less is more, and as is often the case like with his heel schtick at times MJF goes way over the top

But hey, the Rock did a ton of overly goofy comedy as World Champ and he spent entire matches selling before hitting a comeback........honestly this shit just feels like more for MJF's WWE and/or Hollywood audition tape on Tony Khan's dime

tldr:  don't want to see WWE/TNA sports entertainment in AEW, and if they have to do it do it with the Hardy crew, Jarrett crew etc. etc. so I can not care about it when it inevitably sucks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fun night of wrestling, really dig the opener. Two young studs for the future, feel this heel turn for young Jack Perry is working. A boy and his dinosaur was fun while it lasted but he’s got a much higher ceiling than an Indy gimmick 

tag was great sports entertainment goofiness that contrasted well with the main. You know MJF might just be the generational talent he claims to be, a new flair (flair could work 20 minutes of comedy spots with his ass hanging out of his pants and still be credible ) but Coles gonna break his heart right

I might have to get Claudio’s rash guard

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Kota was potatoing people and they clearly are unfamiliar with Murder Ibushi. That’s just shit he does.

Watching it again, yeah he was being stiff but the Murder Ibushi I've seen is him getting this totally distant look in his eyes and going absolutely fast and stiff as living hell on his opponent; didn't look like he did anything there even on second viewing. 

MJF/Cole actually feels like something WWE would do as much as TNA. They're really the ones who should be in Jericho's faction when you think about it, except the world champ should never be over Jericho in a faction. 

Good fun. Respect to the competitors who put their bodies through a ridiculous amount of beating.

I have conflicting thoughts on the non-BCC heel walk outs. On paper, it hits the Elite style narrative notes very well. Friendship conquers all and bein buds beats bein in a combat cult. But in the match type, it comes oddly close to surrendering. Two wrestlers literally surrendered. Reminds me of the Omega vs Ospreay match with the Callis ejection and return. Taking a very fun spectacle and giving me a wait a minute moment. Odd decision by wrestlers who use very deliberate storytelling methods in matches and call backs. But meh, I shall look past this. Very minor note on the carnage. 

I liked the ending of Mox protecting Yuta. Especially as a call back to the Mox vs Hangman battle. BCC can still be about friendship too. ❤️ 

Hopefully Danielson returns as an intense dick and Mox is now the more gentle parent. BLACKPOOL SCHISM! Who keeps Yuta and how will Claudio feel being away at college while his parents are separating?

• Like 3

I guess you can look at it as 1. Pac having a serious anger management problem, which it always seems like, and 2. Takeshita possibly having orders from Callis? 

Oh and hey check out this FREAKY picture of a younger, and, um... different looking Takeshita: 

Spoiler

Konosuke Takeshita | Pro Wrestling | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Son of Baba over here! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Callis breaking up the Entertainers because him and Jericho make some kinda Canadian-connection money deal will be interesting. So was Jericho FINALLY killing his goddamn ring music to heel on the crowd. (Never noticed Claudio's music is Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture", btw)

Uppercut Swingphony 

its cool that we get a match likeB&G for free although the format could use a freshening up next year. Less props , not leaving the cage ect maybe next year we outcasts v originals 

I think MOX watched Dsotr this week and went “hmmm”

I did not finish the Blood and Guts match yet. I forget where I even was in it but I was somehow bored out of my mind. I never thought I would say that with a War Games-style match or something introducing glass shards but I was so uninterested. 

There was just a lack of emotion from a lot of what I saw. It never felt like I was watching a bunch of people hate each other. I love PAC but him being added in as a mystery opponent and immediately beefing with Claudio was a great example of Tony Kahn’s ADHD. 

It wasn’t just my lack of any care of the history of The Elite. I thought Omega was pretty great from what I watched. If event felt like Mox was like “eh” for this, 

• Like 3

So, I really liked most of this. I am now fully all-in on Jack Perry; shitheel twerp. I feel like this really humanizes Hook, too. The rematch, if built properly, could be really fun.

I am slightly bothered by how much I didn't hate the Cole/MJF stuff. MJF has become such a versatile entertainer that he's must see tv. I thought Cole played his role well, and this little arc with MJF has been by far the least offensive I've ever found him. Babyface Adam Cole is miles ahead of serious, "ring the freakin' bell" mega heel Adam Cole. I despise that pretentious ass-clown. The reaction to the mashup theme was phenomenal. The dance off was great. Everything worked. I thought Garcia and Guevara were really, really good, too. 

The main event was mashed ass. It started off good. As I've said, my enjoyment of Kenny Omega is inversely proportional to his proximity to the Jacksons. That opening sequence with Claudio & Kenny was really good. I'd watch a singles match between those two. I think I'm just way too cynical of anything regarding the Bucks. To me, this felt like a couple of guys who got beaten up constantly in high school getting to live out their "walking tall" fantasies against guys they'd stand less than no chance against in any legitimate combat scenario. They show up dressed like Brutus Beefcake and then want to be taken seriously as deathmatch guys. It's fucking rotten. BCC was protected by having two guys walk out, but when two guys on the other team are Jacksons, all that really does is even the odds. Those guys aren't WarGames guys. They're softer than baby shit, and their "cirque de soleil" wrestling style doesn't translate to a submit/surrender situation. Hopefully BCC can move on. It's hard to imagine Mox and Claudio being ok with continuing to take powders when the Bucks hit the ring. Maybe they'll write a chapter in their next book about how Mox and Claudio didn't look scared enough when they hit the ring. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Log said:

Mox/Pac would be fun. Have they had a one-on-one in AEW? I've memory-holed a lot of the circa 2019 stuff.

Yeah, I think that Yuta / Take-soup and Mox / PAC are your money match-ups.    It will probably end up being a tag team match, tho.

• Like 3

2-ring, 20-person Royal Rampage battle royal(e)! Oh. Hell yeah! You know who loves battles royal(e)? Gordlow loves battles royal(e). I am STOKED!

Also Stat vs Shafir, which could be stiff and nasty and awesome or could be weird and sloppy and awkward. I, personally, am hoping for the former. It's probably for the tbs title, too! Maybe it will main event! 

Also, in a match other people here are definitely more stoked for, in comparison with how stoked Gordlow is for it: The Acclaimers and Rockabilly vs QT, TV, and Aaron Solo. I like Aaron Solo! I like The Acclaimed, in the ring. The scissor me stuff is starting to wear thin on me, personally, but I certainly don't begrudge anyone who still marks out for it. Lots of people in the live crowd certainly do. Similarly, I don't begrudge anyone enjoying QTV. I am just baffled that anyone does. I don't get it.

Still, the Royal Rampage is right up my alley, and I am hoping this will be a breakout performance for Marina and I am always stoked to see Stat fight. 

And at one point I was baffled that anyone could enjoy Jarrett in AEW, but I get it now. And at one point I'd have called MJF the most overrated guy on the stick in all of pro wrestling... But he's been undeniably entertaining recently. So maybe I'll turn the corner on QTV some day, too? Maybe the catch phrase stuff will start to feel fresh again? Anything is possible! Nothing is impossible!

Is the last-minute ROH PPV tomorrow too? It is, isn't it? Might get up early to catch the pre-show on YouTube or wherever. Feels like ages since I have seen a Workhorsemen match. I love watching those guys! My autocomplete understands that. I only need to type "Wor..." 

• Like 2

Seeing the argument that props were too much and that the original WarGames matches were better doesn't track with me, but that's just me, and YMMV.  I actually checked Peacock last night and it looks like none of the original WarGames matches are on there (?????).  I really wanted to go back and rewatch.  From what I recall, though, it was typically some blood, a lot of clubbering, and then a bullshit finish like the The Road Warriors beating JJ Dillon so everyone keeps their heat.  What I'm saying is maybe we're rose-colored glasses-ing the old matches, which were, granted, good for their time.  But I'm a guy whose love of wrestling was brought back by PWG in 2010 when WWE was shit, so AEW's "house style" hits the spot just right.  Escalating insanity, goofy shit, rough around the edges to the point where the announcers laugh through a Red Cross PSA and miss a call here and there?  That's my jam.  I'm not saying anybody is wrong, just saying YMMV.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Seeing the argument that props were too much and that the original WarGames matches were better doesn't track with me, but that's just me, and YMMV.  I actually checked Peacock last night and it looks like none of the original WarGames matches are on there (?????).  I really wanted to go back and rewatch.  From what I recall, though, it was typically some blood, a lot of clubbering, and then a bullshit finish like the The Road Warriors beating JJ Dillon so everyone keeps their heat.  What I'm saying is maybe we're rose-colored glasses-ing the old matches, which were, granted, good for their time.  But I'm a guy whose love of wrestling was brought back by PWG in 2010 when WWE was shit, so AEW's "house style" hits the spot just right.  Escalating insanity, goofy shit, rough around the edges to the point where the announcers laugh through a Red Cross PSA and miss a call here and there?  That's my jam.  I'm not saying anybody is wrong, just saying YMMV.

I see people saying the props were too much whereas my comment was that the props didn't do much. Both Jacksons bladed randomly during the build to the feud and then can't be arsed for the blowoff?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

If you do not like the MJF / Adam Cole entrance theme mash-up, you have no soul.

I liked the idea more than the execution - I thought MJFs comes through much more than Coles (could be that I was watching on my phone speakers though). I couldn't make out the audio cue for the "boom!" which is such a huge part of Coles entrance. Or maybe it's just that I'm a soulless atheist.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I like the way Hook bumps.  He bumps like somebody who's been in a lot of judo tournaments, if that makes sense.

As much as I enjoy the Cole/MJF stuff, I think they should pull the trigger on one of them turning instead of letting it wear out its welcome.  The goofy stuff only really works against the tension of waiting for them to knife each other.

• Like 3