DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 7/12 - 7/18/2023

Dolfan in NYC

That tag match will be in my personal top three of the year. Only thing I wish happened was they went the full 60 mins to a draw. But aside from that, damn what a match. The first fall alone was amazing by itself. 

So glad Willow won the women's Owen Hart cup. Her smile is infectious and I can't help but want to root for her to win.

Was surprised Ricky won in the manner that he did. Hopefully we get more of him and Punk out of this. I also saw on twitter someone say "That had to be Owen Hart type rib to fly Liger all the way over just for that". 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

FTR vs. Jay White/Juice Robinson is the third longest match in AEW history:

3. FTR vs. Jay White/Juice Robinson. Collison, 15th July 2023. 58:03.

2. Adam Page vs. Bryan Danielson. Dynamite, 15th December 2021. 60:00.

1. MJF vs. Bryan Danielson. Revolution, 5th March 2023. 65:15.

Posting this now as I'm having internet issues.

FTR vs. Juice Robinson/Jay White is the first to end before the time limit.

Incredible tag match, again. Wasn't sure how they'd follow last week's match but this absolutely lived right up to it. When it was so long before the first fall, I figured they had to be going all the way, more and more the closer it got but then we actually get a finish with 2 minutes to go. Amazing. And the crowd stayed hot as hell all the way through it. So many great counters and spots. The double sharpshooters in Calgary. I absolutely loved the counter of the Powerplex, ending up with sort of a reversal in to their own by BCG. Seemingly out of nowhere, these two teams created another all-time series and feel like career rival types. I love it. Throughout these matches even in a tag setting it felt like Jay really re-established himself as a top of the line guy and Juice has broken out and finally found himself after a middling beginning to his AEW run. Awesome stuff. Now in 2weeks we'll get FTR against the Battle Bowl winners, more greatness ahead.  

Sad for Liger to get a blink and you miss it cameo instead of a full entrance. Starks' win did feel very Owen. I guess Starks will be turning heel as Hobbs will be turning face.

I thought going in to BOTB that there would be a possible International title change, but less so when I saw it was opening. I never wanna see Orange lose, but Murderhawk would be a good choice if so. Actually loved the finish, keeping countouts rare always makes them feel more special when it happens. Archer would've won if only he let Jake hit the DDT!

Other two matches were no brainers. Wild technical difficulties during the women's match. For a second I totally bit on the near fall when Luchasaurus ran in to the chair and found myself wanting a Shawn Spears shocker upset for no real reason, but would've been fun for Canada! Overall a highly enjoyable three hours. 

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Did the show end at its normal time? The tag sounds so long it has me wondering.

The tag opened so that was the entire first hour. The show did end on time, flowing directly in to Battle of the Belts which I think did go 1 or 2 minutes overrun. 

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jay White/Juice Robinson vs. Dax Harwood/Cash Wheeler. AEW Collison, 8th July.

Dax Harwood/Cash Wheeler vs. Jay White/Juice Robinson. AEW Collison, 15th July.

Two weeks running. Two MOTYC. Which did you prefer? I'm leaning towards the rematch.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Something to keep in mind with Liger is he is retired. He was never going to do much. For him this is paid vacation where he likely gets to visit friends he doesn't see often .

Based on what I know, Liger strikes me as a dude who don't give a damn. So the less he has to do the more he is cool with it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Jay White/Juice Robinson vs. Dax Harwood/Cash Wheeler. AEW Collison, 8th July.

Dax Harwood/Cash Wheeler vs. Jay White/Juice Robinson. AEW Collison, 15th July.

Two weeks running. Two MOTYC. Which did you prefer? I'm leaning towards the rematch.

I want to criticize the rematch's Tercera cause I'm so fucking over Sharpshooter tribute spots, but that's really all I've got. First Fall of the Rematch > The First Match > The Entire Second Match is the gut feeling, but seeing it on screen seems markish because I'm preferring the parts where Jay + Juice win. Which means I'm emotionally invested which means A) it's working B) my criticism is subjective and thus my rankings lack the intellectual edge of a true critic~. 

That tag match is an instant classic.

Starks heel turn coming? He was kinda heeling after the pinfall, but drew it back during the awards ceremony. Will be interesting to see if they do anything with this little nuance.

Oh no, the weather was bad and made us miss seeing Taya LOSE AGAIN, oh drat.

Edit: SCUMABG IAN is nothing without DADDY MAGIC.

I missed the first episode of Collison, was there any explanation given exactly about the choices of Nigel and Kevin Kelly? As in, were they mentioned AEW signed them or something? It's weird seeing a guy you remember from the Attitude Era and apparently NJPW coming back out of nowhere without any kind of recall to his past wrestling history. Nigel I'm not sure I'm a fan of. I'm willing to give him a chance, but he's trying too hard to be the heel commentator, it doesn't seem very genuine.

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 2

That MJF/Cole tag team T-shirt is going to be a collector's item, because I don't think it will be available for too long...

Oh shit! Jake Hager is taking this pretty hard! He really likes that hat, you know!

Holy shit, Harley Cameron can spit fire!

PAC and Ibushi in Blood and Guts? This escalated quickly!

Edited by Shartnado
Not the hat?!? ...Go, Cameron!!...PAC!!!!
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Despite what the late Rod Roddy used to say, Saturday Morning Rampage remains the true 'most exciiiiiiting hour on television!' Great episode. Archer/Trent and Willow/Athena delivered big time (and agree with Gord huge that Willow/Athena had a MOTW candidate in any other week - and though i'm hyped x 1000 for tonight, I'm not entirely convinced yet it'll be topped, even by Fuck The Revival).

This may be beating a dead horse, because I bet if you go back, I've said this once on every page of this thread: I cannot get enough of Callus/Takeshita right now - and while it may be a small detail to some, I cannot say enough good things about the way Callis wove the Omega issue into his pre-match promo (and WOW - 'Do you know the Japanese word for 'kill?'' is an all-time line). 

On to Collision!

Edit: I was debating whether or not to mention this, but after some reflection, I thought it was not only pretty cool, but really important (plus I think we recently had a couple people have a convo about this framed around a 'Melina vs Alicia Fox' debate): My better half is a Black woman, and this Willow/Athena bout is one of only three occasions in our seven years together that she's asked to rewatch a match immediately after it ended. I'm watching her cheer on the edge of her seat while we finish brunch and it's pretty cool in a very wholesome sort of way (idk if that's the right term I want, or if that's too saccharine, but that's what jumped to mind). So if TK & Co. happen to see this post: wonderful job on the representation, guys - she's gonna be a fan for life. I can see it in her eyes. She's always watched with me, but I think this was her Lex-slamming-Yoko, OMG-I'm-In-Love-With-This moment.

Edit 2: This actually made me realize, holy shit, happy anniversary to me and pro-wrestling! 30 years together this past 4th. 

As someone who likes to shit on things people like… this fucking rules. My almost 3 yr old son has started watching “big boy fights” with his dad, and I’m proud to say his first favorite is Ricky Starks. The light in his eyes when Stroke Daddy comes on screen is awesome. If you felt anything like I feel, good on you, friend.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Starks heel turn coming? He was kinda heeling after the pinfall, but drew it back during the awards ceremony. Will be interesting to see if they do anything with this little nuance.

I was kinda hoping with Hobbs on his way to going face that he'd end up trying to make amends with Starks because I always wanted them to get a run with the tag team straps together. I think Starks not heeling during the ceremony was just because Martha was there presenting the awards just like Cole/Britt last year. 

Now with Starks going heel, he goes from being the one I want to see as the next TNT champion to being one of guys I want to see end Orange Cassidy's reign whenever that time comes (Takeshita or Swerve in a rematch being the other). 

I thought Bullet Club Gold was winning so they could drop the belts to MJF/Cole. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, just drew said:

As someone who likes to shit on things people like… this fucking rules. My almost 3 yr old son has started watching “big boy fights” with his dad, and I’m proud to say his first favorite is Ricky Starks. The light in his eyes when Stroke Daddy comes on screen is awesome. If you felt anything like I feel, good on you, friend.

One of my favorite things with wrestling is seeing the moment when it clicks with kids that this is something they can enjoy too. I got to see it a lot when I was working around indie promotions and it was one of the reasons I stuck with it so long, just seeing a moment where a kid's having fun.

That's why representation is super important, because it means others get to go along for the ride too. It just isn't the same if it's not someone you can look at and go "oh wow, they're like me!" or "oh wow, I can do this too!"

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

Man, I don't want Starks to flip flop heel face heel like this. He's genuinely over as a baby, seems a waste when he's got so many potential matchups down the line. 

If you stick Ricky in Bullet Club Gold, that might actually freshen him up a bit

He's got an Orton aura where fans are going to like him regardless of his face/heel dynamic

• Like 2

Just finished the tag match. I don't have a ton to say yet. A lot to enjoy there.

Two bits commentary wise:

• Ian caught so many callbacks and references and it added so much. He was essential.
  • Nigel's call at the end: "It's genius and I hate it," perfectly timed, is one of the best things I've ever heard.
  • Like 7

33 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Two bits commentary wise:

• Ian caught so many callbacks and references and it added so much. He was essential.
  • Nigel's call at the end: "It's genius and I hate it," perfectly timed, is one of the best things I've ever heard.

Does Tony produce the commentators directly like Vince?

Last night Ian shifted between sounding natural, and sounding exactly like shouty-Excalibur, and I'm wondering if that's because Tony's in their headset and they're just repeating what he's saying. The "Instant Classic" lines 10 minutes before the match had ended were annoying.

Kevin Kelly was under JR's learning tree and would have been taught "ignore the idiot on the other end of the headset, but take into consideration what he's saying before rephrasing it" which is why Kevin sounds 100% natural in comparison.

Collision was so great, MOTYC tag match and two shocking Owen Cup winners. My wife heard me from the other room when I yelled “holy shit” when Willow won.

Battle of the Belts was pretty terrible. The countout finish to the OC-Archer match was different, I’ll give them that. Wasn’t really into the Storm-Valkyrie match before it glitched out. And the TNT title match was trash.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JLowe said:

And the TNT title match was trash.

Yeah, this whole thing with Christian and Luchasaurus is not working. Christian should have just won the title in an underhanded manner to begin with. I'd much rather see Christian have people try to go through Luchasaurus to get to him for the title.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

Yeah, this whole thing with Christian and Luchasaurus is not working. Christian should have just won the title in an underhanded manner to begin with. I'd much rather see Christian have people try to go through Luchasaurus to get to him for the title.

Said the same thing at the time and stand by it. Have Christian Cage teach the younger talent and one beats him for it getting the rub. To think Darby Allin and Samoa Joe e brought prestige back to the TNT Championship at the start of the year and look where we are now. The AEW International Championship is now the secondary championship of AEW to win even though the TNT Championship has been around longer.

• Like 2

Ian blew Kevin Kelly out of the water last night. I hate Kevin Kelly’s soft rock radio dj voice. And he sounds like a geek.

Although somehow, someway, both Ian and Kevin can’t say El Idolo correctly, which is really weird.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 5

Man, that tag match was wild. What other company does this stuff on free TV.

Couldn’t give two hoots about any of the matches afterwards. The opener took everything out of me and honestly Starks does very little for me.   Effeminate bootleg Rock.

I do like the fact that collision is a very structured show so far. Every wrestler that appeared since it’s debut has progressed in it’s feuds/storylines. 

• Like 2