DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 7/12 - 7/18/2023

Dolfan in NYC

55 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I’m actually quite excited for Orange Cassidy’s BOTB opponent, but it’s a spoiler. Also, not for everyone.

53 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

But very, very much for me.

Me too.

3 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

He was just announced for his first NJPW date

Well that was fast. 

Luchasaurus and Shawn fucking Spears going an hour is DEFINITELY not something I could stomach. But that spoiler opponent? Oh yeah, baby, gimme all of it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Skye Blue has lapped Jade Cargill, hasn't she?

She's better in the ring probably but Jade Cargill has a star presence that very few wrestlers these days possess.  To be fair, I think Skye Blue has a chance to be a star too because she already has a lot of fan support without much of a push. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Thomas Bugg said:

I'm watching Dynamite right now, and Jake Hager just gave one of the best performances of his career in that backstage segment with Jericho. They really need to be accentuating his positives more like this.

That was a fantastic payoff of long-term storytelling and character building. I was getting very emotional about someone I don't care for at all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

She's better in the ring probably but Jade Cargill has a star presence that very few wrestlers these days possess.  To be fair, I think Skye Blue has a chance to be a star too because she already has a lot of fan support without much of a push. 

Skye's improved a lot at emoting in the ring, as she used to be a wood plank in there. She needs some sort of character hook and to work on her promos a lot though, but I'm much higher on her now than I was a couple months ago.

I hope Jade comes back soon. Now that they don't have to book her around an undefeated streak, I'd love to see her get to work more 50-50 situations and get some real angles. While I don't think the Taya angle worked, it was at least a step in the right direction for her, beyond "Who's next? I'm the baddest bitch."

• Like 4

I've hated the booking of Skye jobbing to the Outcasts every week for months on end, but no doubt the reps with Toni and Ruby have helped her a lot. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence of the light bulb clicking due to all the time she's getting, but it oddly seems like her shorts becoming a meme gave her a lot of confidence.

• Like 2

Kommander v Jericho made for a real nice opener. I wonder how Jericho turned the crowd during the commercial? Kommander still amazes every time out. Speaking of special performers - here's the great Don Callis! That drone! Loved the back and forth between he and Jericho with the Bad News Allen cameo. This whole recruitment seems a bit odd with Callis currently being aligned with the BCC. Hook-Jungle Boy segment - rinse-repeat mode. Maybe we’ve seen enough of young Hook chasing off Jungle Jack now? Ugh, and then more MJF-Cole Sketch comedy. So fucking earnest! Fucking Chicks Humour - guh-rrr'8 stuff! I dunno, maybe it’s so bad it’s good? It’s getting over tho, and it’s hard not to believe that this is the new norm. Fuck you Jimmy Jacobs (partially kidding)! Darby/OC v Sammy/Garcia was fine, fine pro wrestling. Not so into this half ass Sammy face turn that nobody wants. He’s a good heel – go with it! MJF/Cole v Bill/Brian was terrific. Loved the bodyslam spot (MJF playing the ‘Psycho’ Mike hit?). As little as I may care for their Backstage Skits, the live MJF/Cole act is clearly fucking awesome. Damn tho, I liked this Big Bill/Cage tandem. Can we get them and the OC/Darby team each an ‘Eliminator’ bout? Jake Hager-Jericho backstage skit. Kudos to both, especially Hager for this well performed but fucking stupid backstage skit. Ruby v Skye was solid. Things got ummm a bit cheeky there. Ruby's been bettered greatly by this turn, but really pulling for a Willow or Athena cup win. Harley Cameron Video was good – tho, I was hoping for a couple of bigger laughs. I preferred her live rap, but clearly she’s a special talent. QT was terrific here too. Swerve v Nick Wayne was also solid stuff. Yeah, Wayne totally comes off as a dickhead heel. The most punchable little prick asshole since Panda head debuted. Mrs. Wayne was particularly fucking great during all of this. I hope she sticks around, and I hope I don’t regret writing that. Swerve is really putting things together, and Nana's contribution should not be understated. Main Event Don Callis Interview segment was going well there. La-la-love PAC joining the BCC side! And loved the callback to his broken nose. PAC is fucking awesome! Well deserved big return. Did not love all the heels all stopping in unison to hear from Kenny and then to watch along to a video package. Pretty… pretty… pretty fucking dumb! They should rig up another Video package next week to stop the BCC team in their tracks. I mean that's what the scouting report would now suggest. Oh well, very happy for the Pac return and goofy Ibushi vid-ya debut. Ibushi's actual debut next week will be absolutely wonderful! Not into the rash of backstage skits, but still lots and lots of fun to be had here on a Wednesday night.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, just drew said:

Really enjoyed watching adam Cole in there against some actual grown men. I usually like TK as a booker, but his obsession with dishwater adam Cole and putting him over guys who actually look like they could hurt someone remains baffling. It might help if Cole slapped his leg some more, I’m not sure he does enough of that. It’s crazy how charismatic MJF is. He makes Cole remotely interesting.

Big Bill deserves better. He’s been killing it. Enjoyed the first semi match with Garcia/Guevara, too. Pretty much everything on this show except for the most overrated performer of the last 20 yrs (Cole) doing my least favorite trope (mismatched tag team) of all time was really great. We know enough about Cole to know he doesn’t draw eyes. Why are we still doing this?

Is there a reason why you lowercase Adam but you don't do that for Cole? I know it's your gimmick to loathe the man but like... what a weird way to express it.

Just now, Sparkleface said:

Is there a reason why you lowercase Adam but you don't do that for Cole? I know it's your gimmick to loathe the man but like... what a weird way to express it.

I honestly never noticed it. I mostly post from my phone so it’s probably autocorrect. But to answer your question, no.

11 hours ago, just drew said:

Really enjoyed watching adam Cole in there against some actual grown men. I usually like TK as a booker, but his obsession with dishwater adam Cole and putting him over guys who actually look like they could hurt someone remains baffling. It might help if Cole slapped his leg some more, I’m not sure he does enough of that. It’s crazy how charismatic MJF is. He makes Cole remotely interesting.

Big Bill deserves better. He’s been killing it. Enjoyed the first semi match with Garcia/Guevara, too. Pretty much everything on this show except for the most overrated performer of the last 20 yrs (Cole) doing my least favorite trope (mismatched tag team) of all time was really great. We know enough about Cole to know he doesn’t draw eyes. Why are we still doing this?

Your blind rage cracks me up, but

• Like 1

It drew because it *ahem* drew. MJF vs. CM Punk drew because Punk is a draw and MJF is as well, to an extent. MJF vs. the other Pillars didn't draw because the other Pillars aren't draws (some degree of exception for Darby) and MJF , to that extent, isn't. MJF vs. Adam Cole is working because of a secret third thing: chemistry. They click. They both like cameras and are emboldened by their presence in a way 90% of people aren't. As actors, they innately know how to play to their objectives (you have no idea how important this is). They're natural shills and understand what the boss wants communicated. They have good diction. I think MJF is significantly more charismatic and TV-appropriate, and Adam Cole's career only makes sense if he is *the single most professional and likable person in any locker room in the world*, so I'm not implying they're cut from the same cloth. But their upsides overlap and their differences stand in good relief enough that they're unquestionably raising each other's ships.

Also, MJF's cool heel shtick isn't anything new but I'm very intrigued by Adam Cole as the codifying Millennial Chickenshit Babyface. An ostensible good guy who cheats and is smug and hates perfectly likeable people like Schiavone. I guess Britt does it too (how's that for synergy), but they're maybe on to something new and neat with him. Although the fact that his offense sucks shit and they keep making big guys sell for it is audibly detrimental to the cause.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 4

I agree with all that and here's another thing: we can really appreciate that they're doing their jobs perfectly well but don't have to like 'em. That's a pretty good heel. And this is from someone who saw the Pittsburgh episode of Tony Bourdain the other day with my dad, him and Britt showed up and I said "ugh, they're not good. She bleeds good, but him? Not so good, doesn't even look like a wrestler". 

I also agree that Hager, who has NEVER been a good talker, gave a career performance last night. He fuckin killed it. 

• Like 2