DVDVR Message Board

May 2023 Wrestling Talk

4 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I wonder if Austin also tried to pitch Lesnar on the benefits of Dollar Shave Club or that cougarlife website he used to do ad reads for

Are youvtrying to tell me Brock doesn't subscribe to Sherrie's Berries?

James

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

Such a shocker, seeing Super Cena squashed like that by Brock Lesnar for Cena's WWE World Heavyweight Championship at WWE SummerSlam 2014. One of my favourite matches. We also got this from it:

4sCtgB4.jpg

If Bryan didn't get injured, we would have gotten Brock vs Bryan instead. If I remember that was the plan for SummerSlam right? We probably wouldn't have gotten this type of match between these to if it didn't happen this night,  unless Cena would have wanted to do this match at Survivor Series that year.

Brock vs Bryan on a major PPV following his big Wrestlemania title win would have been a better match than the one they had years later because Bryan was the default face in the match even though he was heel at the time. Plus in 2014 if Bryan wasn't so injured by then, Brock would have been his first fresh opponent on PPV during that reign and people would have been hotter for Bryan then and it would have been surreal seeing him beat Brock clean

6 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Man, I’d love to see Sheik Adnan working babyface in Iran against Andre. I mean holy shit. 

That would be some heel work by Andre, to turn an Iraqi babyface in Iran. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

Man, I’d love to see Sheik Adnan working babyface in Iran against Andre. I mean holy shit. 

We just never got that Adnan Al-Kaissie vs the Iron Sheik feud in the 80s where the All-American babyfaces would help Adnan, only for them to also occasionally help the Iron Sheik in exchange for sending arms to the Contras

• Haha 10

Don’t know if anyone here is watching the Jeopardy Masters tournament that’s been going on the last few weeks, but some wrestling fandom has snuck its way in. James Holzhauer has been hitting a few WWE wrestlers’ poses during some of his intros. Don’t know if I’m hitting all of them, but he’s done Jericho, Orton, Razor Ramon (complete with toothpick), and last night went with Rob Van Dam’s. He also brought out a fake championship belt for one game, but the pose was pretty bland and hard to peg who he might have been going for. 

It was a while ago and I may be misremembering, but I’m pretty sure he’s done the Orton pose being intro’d on The Chase in the past. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ziggy said:

If Bryan didn't get injured, we would have gotten Brock vs Bryan instead. If I remember that was the plan for SummerSlam right? We probably wouldn't have gotten this type of match between these to if it didn't happen this night,  unless Cena would have wanted to do this match at Survivor Series that year.

Brock vs Bryan on a major PPV following his big Wrestlemania title win would have been a better match than the one they had years later because Bryan was the default face in the match even though he was heel at the time. Plus in 2014 if Bryan wasn't so injured by then, Brock would have been his first fresh opponent on PPV during that reign and people would have been hotter for Bryan then and it would have been surreal seeing him beat Brock clean

Yeah, it was supposed to be Bryan/Brock at SummerSlam 2014. I think we'd have had the squash that Cena/Brock was. Lesnar wasn't losing after ending The Streak of the Undertaker at WrestleMania XXX. Looked like it was going to be a squash for the first half of Brock/Bryan at Survivor Series 2018 till Bryan got his offense in. Bryan really laid it into Brock with the "You're gonna get your fucking head kicked in" leaving the boot print on Lesnar's face and the crossfaces in the Lebell Lock. You can tell when Lesnar respects an opponent and gives a shit.

The craziest one was at Halloween Havoc 96 with the Faces of Fear against Mongo and Benoit. Barb tossed Benoit's ass to another time zone. Benoit literally got thrown to the opposite corner across the ring.

• Like 3

Worlds of Fun rollercoaster names that would be solid wrestling move names

(WOF is a KC area amusement park)

The Zambezi Zinger is returning soonish.

The Orient Express almost certainly wasn’t the inspiration for the WWF tag team name even if Akio Sato spent a lot of time in KC.

The Detonator sounds like some name you’d give to someone doing the Dominator as a finish

The Finnish Fling could only be done by a Finnish wrestler.

Same for The Flying Dutchman.

1 minute ago, Cobra Commander said:

Worlds of Fun rollercoaster names that would be solid wrestling move names

(WOF is a KC area amusement park)

The Zambezi Zinger is returning soonish.

The Orient Express almost certainly wasn’t the inspiration for the WWF tag team name even if Akio Sato spent a lot of time in KC.

The Detonator sounds like some name you’d give to someone doing the Dominator as a finish

The Finnish Fling could only be done by a Finnish wrestler.

Same for The Flying Dutchman.

The Timber Wolf could easily be either a finisher or a wrestler name

(I grew up in Kansas so it's very exciting to see Worlds of Fun talk on the internet)

1 minute ago, Zimbra said:

The Timber Wolf could easily be either a finisher or a wrestler name

(I grew up in Kansas so it's very exciting to see Worlds of Fun talk on the internet)

Late 90s, the huge “end of year field trip for all the middle school kids who aren’t shitheads” was Worlds Of Fun. Let the 13 year olds roam the park unsupervised and experience the Detonator. It was a lot more fun than the elementary school end of year trip to the swimming pool at the middle school.

The Timber Wolf sorta seems like a main roster name given to some NXT guy that they don’t want to push.

• Like 4

Either the last or next-to-last time we did that field trip we almost got kicked out because my friend hip-checked the guy in the snoopy suit.  Teenagers are such dirtbags.

Timber Wolf is also the guy on the indie show who sucks but always gets booked because he owns the ring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Sure someone died at Timber Wolf’s wrestling school a few years ago, but they didn’t have to close”

(A kid really did die on the Timber Wolf, there was a settlement, even if some of the details are in dispute)

I think I went on Fury of the Nile more than Mamba/Timber Wolf.

2 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Have you guys seen that documentary Action Park? Highly recommended - about a very dangerous amusement park in New Jersey in the 1970s/1980s. Chris Gethard is one of the talking heads in it 

Class Action Park

I'm proud to say I survived Action Park without any major injuries. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Have you guys seen that documentary Action Park? Highly recommended - about a very dangerous amusement park in New Jersey in the 1970s/1980s. Chris Gethard is one of the talking heads in it 

Parts of it were genuinely very sad, but there were also several points where I laughed as hard as I ever have in my life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Isn't our own @Greggulator Chris's brother? If so, I'm guessing he has his share of Action Park stories.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Log said:

Isn't our own @Greggulator Chris's brother? If so, I'm guessing he has his share of Action Park stories.

He does. He talked a bit about it in the Discord chat. 

Also, Chris talked a little bit about Gregg on the Whiskey Ginger podcast.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

He does. He talked a bit about it in the Discord chat. 

Also, Chris talked a little bit about Gregg on the Whiskey Ginger podcast.

9 minutes ago, Log said:

No way, what a small f'n world! I mentioned his name because I knew from his old show that he was a wrestling fan, at least at one time. Very, very cool (and boy, am I glad I was complimentary!)

• Like 3

Is it a HIPPA violation for me to mention that I opened a case for mental health treatment on a dude who looks the spitting image of Chicken Briscoe?

• Haha 4